Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln Was 2014’s Fastest-Growing Luxury Brand in the US Thanks to Strong MKC Sales

It may sound surprising, but Lincoln was the fastest-growing luxury brand in the United States last year. Sales of Ford’s subsidiary rose 16 percent in 2014 due to strong demand for the MKC crossover, more than double the average increase for luxury makers.

However, in absolute terms, Lincoln ranked as the eighth largest luxury brand in the United States for the fifth consecutive year. The company’s growth engine is the MKC, for which sales rose 102 percent of Lincoln’s total sales increase for the year - 13,077 MKCs were sold while the Lincoln brand’s overall sales rose 12,780 vehicles.

The automaker expects growth to continue as it prepares to launch the larger redesigned MKX crossover this fall. However, Lincoln has a long way to go before returning to its former glory. For instance, the brand’s total 2014 sales were smaller than Lincoln Town Car sales in 1998.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/lincoln-was-2014s-fastest-growing.html

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Starting out 2015 Lincoln loosing traction against it's closest competitor, Infiniti. Infiniti was at 9,658(up 7.3%) from Jan 2015 at 8,998. While Lincoln for Jan 2015 was up 10.8%(6,619), verses 5,973 for Jan 2014.

3,025 variance for Jan 2014 vs 3,039 variance for Jan 2015. Which means Infiniti is ahead an additional 14 units for Jan 2015 vs Jan 2014.

NX also trumped MKC for Jan at 2812 vs 1602.

Could it be that the beautiful MKZ, MKC and New MKX have all been designed for the Chinese market where Lincoln sees the greatest sales potential? Which means we should expect more of the same from the new MKS. Which is a smart move, as China dealerships and sales continue to grow, US sentiment about the relaunched Lincoln Brand, as one new model is launched after another, has time to reestablish itself.

Lincoln now has 9 dealerships open in China!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
CarScoops said:
...The company’s growth engine is the MKC...
just-imho
this is Not actually about the MKC per se
but about having introduced A NEW VEHICLE...which just happens to be the C.

Imho, Lincoln needs to introduce MORE new vehicles = no way their lineup is even Complete let alone over-crowded
&
if they DO intro more NEW vehicles (not just replacements or nextgens)
at a faster pace!,
their sales will continue to be the fastest-growing Lux Brand

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This post at Carscoops is just a rehash of the AutoNews article that was previously posted here so I'll point out again, Lincoln is the fastest growing luxury brand who's also falling further behind the leader in actual sales volume at the exact same time. Thats a non-issue at this point as it would have been virtually impossible to match BMW's growth of over 34k vehicles, that would have been what? 42%+ growth for Lincoln?

if they DO intro more NEW vehicles (not just replacements or nextgens)
at a faster pace!,
their sales will continue to be the fastest-growing Lux Brand
2b2 I agree with you up to a point regarding this growth being about introducing a new model in a segment in which Lincoln was previously absent. However, while growth via new segment is nice, they cannot simply iterate themselves to success, they need the five existing models replacements to grow also. The new MKX simply cannot hold serve on the outgoing model, and the next MKS absolutely has to show significant and sustained growth, and a future Aviator replacement for the MKT is all but guaranteed to be a success in relation to the MKT.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
This post at Carscoops is just a rehash of...
I didn't *know* that but kinda expected something like that AND still appreciate other fan(atic)s' opinions
(can always be used for a bad example)

2b2 I agree with you up to a point regarding this growth being about introducing a new model in a segment in which Lincoln was previously absent. However, while growth via new segment is nice, they cannot simply iterate themselves to success, they need the five existing models replacements to grow also. The new MKX simply cannot hold serve on the outgoing model, and the next MKS absolutely has to show significant and sustained growth, and a future Aviator replacement for the MKT is all but guaranteed to be a success in relation to the MKT.
SP, I *refuse* to disagree

cuz
imho we don't :joyous:
2b2 said:
...(not just replacements or nextgens)...
implying "in addition"
+
I firmly believe a fuller (-to-'complete'**) lineup will synergize EVERY model's sales
including appropriately & timely updated existing models

** perusing a GMI thread, started wondering if there's such a thing as a MinimalLuxuryLineup...
imho
3 sedans (s m l), 4 CuvSuvs, and at least one specialty model of some kind maybe 2
so
8-9 minimum!!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It's a little misleading to say Lincoln is the fastest growing luxury marque when their growth is relative only to Lincoln, not the industry. If I did the math correctly, Lincoln is actually continuing to loose marketshare in the US despite their growth, because their sales volume is small compared to the industry as a whole which is being gobbled up by everybody but Detroit.

Lincoln still has a mountain to climb and the peak is getting more distant every day. Thank God for China because this road would not be worth funding at the current rate of growth in the US alone. Ultimately Lincoln doesn't have to be in the top 5 to succeed, but it does have to make money to fund bigger things.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wait, I just checked a few numbers...

2013 ATS sales: 38,319
2014 ATS sales: 29,890 @ $33,215 MSRP

2013 MKZ sales: 32,361
2014 MKZ sales: 34,009 @ $35,190 MSRP

One grew last year (if slightly), and had a higher MSRP. Why are we supposed to hate the MKZ again?!? Maybe this has been pointed out before, but I find it quite positive, and going by what people (even here) say about the MKZ, I figured it was a huge dud.

MKS is another story, but I am truly impressed and pleased to learn this about the MKZ!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Speak of the devil! I had a strange inkling to walk down a different street than usual to go home tonight, and I'm glad I did. Look who was peeking out at me from a parking garage:

View attachment 11754

View attachment 11762

My first new Lincoln sighting in China! Yay! There aren't even any plates on it yet. Once again sorry for the picture quality, there was also bad lighting... lets call them spyshots from a km away! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I never considered the MKZ a sales success by any standard but it's not the dud I thought either compared to it's dual segment competition, it's right in the middle of the pack. The MKZ is in a situation where people have to see it to like it, if they don't see it, they will never consider it, the commercials and updates will help.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
as usual I have a slightly diff viewpoint :yikes:
looking at each model's percentage of totals sales

_2013 ____2014 ____Jan'15________
39.612 --- 35.998 --- 27.647% --- MKZ
211 --- _8.637 --- _9.744% --- MKS
_0.___ --- 13.847 --- 24.203% --- MKC
271 --- 25.398 --- 20.516% --- MKX
_7.361 --- _5.080 --- _4.048% --- MKT
543 --- 11.043 --- 13.838% --- Navigator

imho it's "Bad Business" to have too many of your eggs in too few baskets = like Lexus ES & RX, which frequently have accounted for 2/3rds of total sales... (& of a larger, more-complete lineup TOO!)

...playing with numbers, for a 6-model (half) lineup like Lincoln has now,
just-imho percentages between 10% minimum & 25% maximum per model
(( ie 10% = niche-ish model and 25% = volume-ish model with others between ))
would indicate (to me) that the entire/overall lineup is well:
thought-out, designed, built, & marketed

so
other than:
- not enough models for a minimal lineup
(imho)
- the MKT needing a re-thunk replacement years ago
imho
- the lineup is moving in the right direction = Per The Numbers
- if the Z sold significantly More, THAT would be a PROBLEM = Not a Good Thing...
as things stand now

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lincoln will be better off once the redesigned MKX hits the dealer lots, a nice 3 prong(MKZ/MKC/MKX) attack with the Navigator adding a little extra.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Speak of the devil! I had a strange inkling to walk down a different street than usual to go home tonight, and I'm glad I did. Look who was peeking out at me from a parking garage:

View attachment 11754

View attachment 11762

My first new Lincoln sighting in China! Yay! There aren't even any plates on it yet. Once again sorry for the picture quality, there was also bad lighting... lets call them spyshots from a km away! :)
TY, Paul! :thumb:
but
how the heck did the driver get out??? ...crawl across to the p-side??

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
No, they drive on the right side. Well to be 100% accurate, the Chinese generally drive wherever they h3ll they feel like it! ;)

For some reason he must have parked close to the wall and climbed out the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
First time I'm seeing folded mirrors on the MKZ.

Honestly, I don't even know if mine fold at all and something tells me I should rather not try to find out...:tongue:

·
Registered
358 Posts
First time I'm seeing folded mirrors on the MKZ.

Honestly, I don't even know if mine fold at all and something tells me I should rather not try to find out...:tongue:
Of course the mirrors fold! I've never had a car where the mirrors didn't fold. Now, mine don't power fold, and I don't know if they've added that feature or not.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I saw the Ford GT displayed at the Chicago Auto Show... and come to me a crazy idea to increase the flow of buyers at Lincoln dealers: a GT version for Lincoln. That silver GT is amazing. And looks upscale. Some changes for the body (a different front end, different rear ligths... and a very luxury interior ( with lot of aluminum, real wood,leather and alcantara ) plus more power (20 or 30 more HP...) and you can count with a really powerful magnet to atract buyers to the dealers. Some of those buyers will go to the Lincoln dealer to see the Lincoln GT and will come out of it in a new MK X or MK Z...

ok, ok... i'm crazy.... I know... you will say that Lincoln is a near-luxury brand and this kind of car is completly out of context for the brand. Maybe... but what about the new Acura NSX?? Is the same kind of car for the same kind of brand.

Maybe 100 or 200 of this modified GTs for Lincoln could do much for the brand.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I saw the Ford GT displayed at the Chicago Auto Show... and come to me a crazy idea to increase the flow of buyers at Lincoln dealers: a GT version for Lincoln. That silver GT is amazing. And looks upscale. Some changes for the body (a different front end, different rear ligths... and a very luxury interior ( with lot of aluminum, real wood,leather and alcantara ) plus more power (20 or 30 more HP...) and you can count with a really powerful magnet to atract buyers to the dealers. Some of those buyers will go to the Lincoln dealer to see the Lincoln GT and will come out of it in a new MK X or MK Z...

ok, ok... i'm crazy.... I know... you will say that Lincoln is a near-luxury brand and this kind of car is completly out of context for the brand. Maybe... but what about the new Acura NSX?? Is the same kind of car for the same kind of brand.

Maybe 100 or 200 of this modified GTs for Lincoln could do much for the brand.
F.L.! :thumb:
tho
not for a while
&
seems to me, Ford doesn't keep any of thier supercars around for all that long
so
(just thinking) when the new GT is ending, make all your^ changes (maybe even 2+2'ing it?) as a more permanent Lincoln übercar
Mission:Lincoln, March 2012
^chop not mid-engined

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Acura NSX is a luxury oriented supercar intended for longterm production, the GT is very limited production and specialized for racing with virtually no amenities wired into the platform...so a Lincoln version would likely be a significant undertaking.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts