Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to the Lincoln website many times. Each time I go there it seems a bit of a disappointment. Not as much for the lack of new products, but of the design of the website and the quality of the photography.

Even though the home page still promotes the 2013 MKZ when the 2014 is available for sale is not much of an issue, because the graphic of the initial MKZ is a very good one.

But click on the link that states 'Explorer the the all new 2013 MKZ' and get ready for a shocker. The red MKZ image does not look much like the beautiful MKZ on the home page. The idea of taking pictures of passenger cars very low from the perspective of a 5 year old is not a good one. It seems Lincoln has hired the same photographer who is responsible for photographing big powerful F-150s climbing hills. Which is not an attractive perspective of the MKZ. Rear images of the MKZ are always done from a better perspective, if still muddy and dark.

Looking below that image on the home page, there are several smaller images and videos. In each of those videos Lincoln has chosen a higher adult height perspective to view the car and it looks fantastic. Except for the fact that each video of the MKZ is a dark and dull blue or grey tone.

Clicking the Gallery you may think Lincoln would offer a wide range of images and vehicle colors from it's most attractive angles. But that's not the case. Again more dull, dark blue and grey tones with smallish images.

Navigating though the rest of the site is cumbersome. Clicking on 'Experience the new 2013 MKZ' takes you into a micro sites within the initial site, and is just too much. Sometimes you scroll, sometimes you don't, sometimes animation will play on it's own. I don't know how smooth things work with a PC, I use a Mac and the Magic Mouse, but the scrolling and auto play portions are all disjointed and overlapping each other. It's a frustrating mess. It would be so much better if there were just images, or animation to click on if you want to see something in action. The site seems to really be trying too hard.

Then I thought to myself that maybe I was just being too critical. Wanting Lincoln to be the best it could be and just finding fault where there was none. So I visited the Mercedes Benz site.

Wow! The first thing I noticed was beautiful large, colorful images of the C-Class. It just looked alive. I scroll and get more large crystal clear images. Very easy to navigate. The gallery, big clear images. The site is just so bright, alive and welcoming.

I visited the BMW site. Not as clean and easy to navigate as the Mercedes Benz site. Images were bright and clear, with various colors of each model in different surroundings. Only thing I didn't like was the zoom animation which caused a wait for each image to appear, when they could have been more like a slideshow like Mercedes Benz.

Audi, like Mercedes Benz went the more clean and simple route with their website. Large, clear and colorful images of the vehicles in various surroundings. Very easy to scroll through and navigate the site.

Porsche, the most beautiful site of them all. Great large, clear images of the cars. Videos allow you to select to play or not. Very easy to navigate, with most every image better than the last. It is Porsche, which may have something to do with that. Porsche does a great job with their mini videos also. But if Porsche used dull dark grey and dark blue, small muddy images like on the Lincoln site, I wouldn't really want a Porsche as much as I do now.

But maybe it's just me.

What I do know is that vehicle website is the first impression for most buyers before they decide to approach a dealership. And with the new MKZ being sold in such limited quantities, it's rare to see one on the road. So it's my thought that if Lincoln improve their website to provide a better 'view' of the MKZ and the other Lincoln models, that is more 'attractive' to the younger audience they are looking for. Because it seems what Lincoln is offering image and navigation wise now on their website, does not do the cars justice.

My hope is that before Lincoln updates with the new MY 2014 images, they also revamp the website for ease of use, and provide big, bold, sharp, and colorful images of the Lincoln vehicles.

Go ahead, take a look at Lincoln and then the competition and see what you think.

Mercedes Benz
BMW
Audi
Porsche

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
the webpage needs new photos, needs new models.......if the navi, mkc and mkx designs are ready, what is the reason to wait until next year

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I checked out the website after reading this post and your correct. The Lincoln website leaves alot to be desired compared to the competition. The good thing is they have a survey going on asking you for input on the 2013 MKZ, Lincoln in general, and their website.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
maybe the next time I have access to broadband, I'll check out all those sites
(no, imho they doN'T have to have lo-fi versions for me since I can't afford a Lux car anyway)
but
what I'd like to see ALL configurators do, is let the shopper select their umm configuration in any sequence they prefer
- color: "I want a blue car/I want leather LIKE THAT CONCEPT"
- features: "I want a massaging seat/I want a rear window shade"
instead of
- drivetrain first**
or
- trim/package level first (should be LAST and not selected but delivered as "This/these meet your criteria best"

I really dislike having to open sub-screens/popups to research the details of high-faluting-sounding "packages" before even seeing pictures ...that show they doN'T OFFER my 1st-choice color combo.

Online shopping should follow the natural pattern at the dealership (imho) = First: "Oooooo what a pretty color, let's take a closer look"
maybe
"Oooooo, nice wheels, let's take a closer look"
rather than
"OK, I've done an hour of research, think I understand the nonsensical differences between the "Premierée"(bottom), "Preserved"(top) & "Tesseract-Zirconia-Label"(?) packages; NOW let's see if they offer a combo I can PUT UP WITH"

** an excessively knowledgeable member was publicly debating engine+trannie long after he'd decided on the color combo he HAD to have

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
BMW also has an exemplary web portal, and today even if one were to consider an X5 the X5 they would build would be the upcoming model which recently debuted not the existing model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts