·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln Would've Been Axed Without Support From New Ford CEO Mark Fields
Autoevolution
by Mircea Panait
1st July 2014

Starting today, the Blue Oval's harnesses are in the hands of Mark Fields, who replaces Alan Mulally as the Ford Motor Company's chief executive officer and elected member of the directors board. Mark is also the man responsible for saving the Lincoln brand from extinction after Mulally suggested last year that Ford would be better off without the unprofitable brand.

Two company insiders told Bloomberg that Lincoln was on the brink of being axed by Alan Mulally after a painfully slow production ramp-up of the Lincoln MKZ sedan and an over-the-top costly advertising campaign. To put into perspective just how much Lincoln has hit the other side of successful, just take into consideration that the brand's Stateside sales dropped 65 percent since 1990, a.k.a. the Blue Oval's biggest money pit.

Even if times are tough and Lincoln barely shows signs of rejuvenation, CEO Mark Fields and marketing boss Jim Farley are making efforts in saving the brand by churning out all-new products specially designed to attract the younger audience Lincoln never had. Even the chief designer of the brand was replaced with a younger David Woodhouse that previously worked far Caddy, so the intentions are more than relevant.

More at link

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
...brand's Stateside sales dropped 65 percent since 1990...
Any CEO that wouldn't at least consider axing such a brand is a fool. Mulally didn't create the mess that Lincoln became. If Ford didn't see fit to support it properly throughout the 90's and 00's, why is Mually the one being called out for letting Lincoln down? In the end, he clearly made the internal supporters defend Lincoln, and they did, and he decided to keep it. This is how business is supposed to work, and shows that Mulally actually must have been convinced in the end. I understand why people get upset hearing things like this about their favourite brand (I'm a life-long Pontiac fan so I know what I'm talking about), but Lincoln NEEDED to be put under the microscope.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Any CEO that wouldn't at least consider axing such a brand is a fool. Mulally didn't create the mess that Lincoln became. If Ford didn't see fit to support it properly throughout the 90's and 00's, why is Mually the one being called out for letting Lincoln down? In the end, he clearly made the internal supporters defend Lincoln, and they did, and he decided to keep it. This is how business is supposed to work, and shows that Mulally actually must have been convinced in the end. I understand why people get upset hearing things like this about their favourite brand (I'm a life-long Pontiac fan so I know what I'm talking about), but Lincoln NEEDED to be put under the microscope.
Compared to the brand Lincoln was in the 90's, I would say they have progressed incredibly far.
They had crap in the 90's, made huge strides in the 00's and that continues today.

Lincoln was simply not given enough attention ever SINCE Mulally got there. If he would have given Lincoln just a bit more, we would be celebrating their success, not waiting for it's arrival.

Sorry, any CEO who can't see the passion for Lincoln, simply was not paying attention, or did not care one foot out the door.

:::cue the remarks about rebadged Fords ::::

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Lincoln was NOT a good luxury brand in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. That was Lincoln's downfall period. Lincoln (and Cadillac) went cheap to build more volume. They became overly obsessed with sales and forgot about their wealthy, loyal clientele. That defies the meaning of luxury. Luxury is a status symbol for the upper class, and it should stay that way.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Lincoln was simply not given enough attention ever SINCE Mulally got there. If he would have given Lincoln just a bit more, we would be celebrating their success, not waiting for it's arrival.
At the expense of what Ford models? What would you have held back from Ford to feed Lincoln between the 90's and today? We're going to assume that the money Ford spent on all of their vehicles since then was fixed; what Ford model could have been skipped to allow more spending at Lincoln?

·
Registered
717 Posts

Sorry but that was a STUPID statement. I know you are all mad because you "think" Mullaly wanted to kill Lincoln but the fact is he didn't. If no attention was given we wouldn't have the MKZ or MKC or coming MKX.

Stop acting like some little kid who got their ball taken away.

I was told....and I know my friend isn't lying.....that Mullaly had a meeting where he basically had a round Robin asking why lincoln and Merury should remain. He talked about the good and the bad of both and wanted people to give legit reasons why either should stay. We see who won out.

He was never on a mission to kill Lincoln as is being portrayed here.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Lincoln was NOT a good luxury brand in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. That was Lincoln's downfall period. Lincoln (and Cadillac) went cheap to build more volume. They became overly obsessed with sales and forgot about their wealthy, loyal clientele. That defies the meaning of luxury. Luxury is a status symbol for the upper class, and it should stay that way.
EXCEPT for the Mark series the Mark VII and VIII were VERY competitive for their perspective time period.

The VIII had very interesting features like automatically lowering itself at highway speeds and mirrors that lowered when going into reverse etc.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
EXCEPT for the Mark series the Mark VII and VIII were VERY competitive for their perspective time period.

The VIII had very interesting features like automatically lowering itself at highway speeds and mirrors that lowered when going into reverse etc.
Their interior quality, craftsmanship, materials, and detail was piss poor. There's nothing luxurious about faux wood, plastics, and vinyl. However, they looked very prestigious.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Their interior quality, craftsmanship, materials, and detail was piss poor. There's nothing luxurious about faux wood, plastics, and vinyl. However, they looked very prestigious.
wrong the Mark VIII used real wood

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It may have been a later model or a special edition one, but I'm 100% sure the early ones had fake wood on the center console.
Early Mark VIIIs didn't have wood

it wasn't till about 1995 when they added it but when they did it was all genuine wood inserts on the dash

Interior: Dual airbags, rear center armrest, cigarette lighter-front and rear, center console w/real wood trim, ashtrays-1 front (lighted) and 2 rear, color-keyed leather shifter, front storage bin, rear defrost on/off switch, vinyl door panels w/map pockets and intergrated armrests, color-keyed switchgear, Driver's side footrest, lockable lighted glovebox, rear seat heat ducts, 4-way adjustable head restraints, Analog instrumentation (speedometer,tachometer,fuel, temperature), Message center, Leather seats w/6-way power, 3-user driver's seat memory, power lumbar, leather-wrapped steering wheel, Tilt-steering wheel, Dual lighted vanity sunvisors with secondary sunvisors

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Early Mark VIIIs didn't have wood

it wasn't till about 1995 when they added it but when they did it was all genuine wood inserts on the dash

I remember my aunt's from 14-15 years ago, and the wood looked and felt very fake. It could have been the process they were using.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I remember my aunt's from 14-15 years ago, and the wood looked and felt very fake. It could have been the process they were using.
That's possible the wood in my LS is all real also but feels fake (switch from fake plastic wood was in 2003). The processes they use now are much better. Too much of that gloss layer can definitely make it feel fake.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
That's possible the wood in my LS is all real also but feels fake (switch from fake plastic wood was in 2003). The processes they use now are much better. Too much of that gloss layer can definitely make it feel fake.
Did the original S-Type have fake wood, too?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The high gloss finishes they used on real wood in the past removed all texture to the point that well done plastic wood was nearly undetectable. I much prefer the matte finish on the wood in modern vehicles that retains grain texture!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Did the original S-Type have fake wood, too?
Wasn't 100% sure but here's a quote I found on an S-Type webwsite about the first model introduced in 99 as a 2000:

Introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model, the S-Type marked the first time since the 60s when Jaguar offered more than one saloon line to its customers.
Priced about $ 10 000 below the XJ8, the S-type's interior still features real wood veneers and Connoly leather used in more contemporary fashion.
The high gloss finishes they used on real wood in the past removed all texture to the point that well done plastic wood was nearly undetectable. I much prefer the matte finish on the wood in modern vehicles that retains grain texture!
Some gloss isn't bad but when they overdo it you're right fake plastic feels the same.

Here are some shots of the wood in my LS, you can tell it's real because of the pattern and really see the layers in the shifter. Also if you were to look at another LS the pattern would be totally different. I remember when shopping I was looking at an 03 and the trim on the steering wheel looked like it almost had gold flakes in the wood it was a lighter shade than what's in mine.

You can see the high gloss in mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts