1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln To Get New Small Car - InsideLine

Published Jun 2, 2010

Just the Facts:
  • New C-segment car originally bound for Mercury will now be a Lincoln.
  • Lincoln C Concept seen in 2009 is under consideration.
  • Ford's luxury brand will offer a total of seven new or significantly revamped vehicles in the next four years.
DEARBORN, Michigan — Combined with Ford's announcement of the demise of its Mercury brand, comes good news for Lincoln. The new C-segment car originally bound for Mercury will now be added to Lincoln's growing portfolio...

Inside Line says: Lincoln already benefits from Mercury's death. Hopefully it's enough to keep Lincoln from being next. — Michelle Krebs, Senior Analyst, Edmunds.com

More...

-----------------------------
SCREW ALL THAT ^^^
&
I'm not going to post a photo of the Ugly Frog either
(aka "C" Concept
)

What I do want here are
_ our thoughts on how Lincoln can salvage this Mission Impossible
ie
_ making a believable luxury car out of the Focus

raw ingredients:
- 2 wheelbases: 104.2" and approx 108"
- possibly extra width
- all new v6 (possibly the barely rumored 2.7)
- all the EcoBoosts you want!
- Awd? unlikely so far
- gold-plated suspension?
- upholstery made from Mercury salesmen's skin ...no?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Re: Lincoln's New Small Car??

Anything remotely resembling the horrid C Concept would be an instant fail in my book.

I would like to see a compact sedan that is strongly influenced by the MKR Concept (except for the grille; I guess the grille wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so massive). It should be built on a stretched version of the C-platform (107 inches) and have similar dimensions to the Suzuki Kizashi (the Lincoln compact sedan should be around 184 inches long, 72 inches wide, and 58 inches high). A 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cylinder should be the base engine. AWD will be an available option. This compact sedan would introduce a new naming scheme for Lincoln sedans. This compact sedan would be named "Mark III". The replacement for the current MKZ would be named "Mark VI" and the replacement for the current MKS would be named "Mark IX". The Mark III range would eventually be expanded to include a coupe-cabrio and a wagon.

If Lincoln wants to seriously compete in the premium compact segment, then FoMoCo will create something similar to what I described above. If Lincoln wants to become a ridiculous punchline in the premium compact segment, then FoMoCo will create something similar to the hideous looking C Concept.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
334 Posts

A compact crossover would be nice too. Starting with the compact crossover, Lincoln CUVs would be given actual model names instead of meaningless "MK(?)" model designations. I think "Plateau" would be a nice name for a compact Lincoln CUV. The replacements for the current MKX and MKT would receive actual model names when they arrive on the market.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

I think Lincoln's new compact vehicle will be an Escape-based crossover. That's a better (and "easier") way for a luxury brand to enter the c-segment, IMO. Look at BMW - they had the X3 and now are coming out with the X1. Mercedes came out with the GLK, Audi with the Q5 and future Q3, etc......

Timmm55 (I think he posts here too) did a chop a while back that took the Concept-C, raised it, and stretched/skewed it to be more of an Escape-sized vehicle - it looked A TON better than the concept-C did, so I think the concept-C's styling could work.....just not on a low vehicle like the concept C was, but rather on a c-segment crossover.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

^ Timm's "C" was the best I've seen but. . .
&
I've got the impression the Tracer will (also) now be a Lincoln - think there were contracts with suppliers for the C557
so
the sedan-let is what this thread is about
&
pretty sure the KuGa will almost directly translate into the "MKG" CUVlet

Anything remotely resembling the horrid C Concept would be an instant fail in my book....
:agree:
...imho...

...IF THE LINCOLN C-CAR SHARES ANY SHEETMETAL WITH THE FOCUS OR THE "C"concept
STRIKE TWO
--------------------

·
Registered
531 Posts

In my opinion, the perfect size for a small Lincoln would be right in between the BMW 1-Series and 3-Series.. Right in between.. The MKZ is close enough to something between a 3-Series and 5-Series... The personal luxury car is back...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Full glass retractable roof in the media release caught my attention and made me instantly think of Fords C1 platform that has a couple of vehicles which could be a Lincoln C segment candidate

I don't think anyone would complain that it shares it chassis with the Focus, if Lincoln was to
offer such a high end full glass roof hardtop in North America.

Heck even the lowly Focus CC is regarded as pretty high end kit from Ford Europe

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

I think the Focus-based compact sedan Mercury never existed. That is a lie from Ford to calm down the nervous from the Lincoln-Mercury dealerships, that saw the Mercury dead very close. Now, we can see that Mercury died 1 or 2 years ago, but no one infomed us until yesterday. Mullaly kill it when he planned the "One Ford " strategy, but never informed us.

I think the Lincoln C-car will look very close to the the C concept. Another failure for Lincoln .No matter the engines, or the connectivity from Sync.....the design in a luxury compact car is everything!. A 30000 $ compact sedan needs to look very atractive and had something to make it special to do that the customers "want" it. The C-concept is horrible. Nobody will want to buy that horrendous machine.

And i agree, in the future, Lincoln need to abandon the ridiculous "Mk..." names game . The future Lincolns needs real names: Continental, Town Car, Versailles, Mark.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

I guess I'm the only one who likes the concept car! I would change the back end a little, but other than that, it would be a fine little Lincoln with a 2.0 EcoBoost engine.
I'm sure it will not be as controversial when the final design is revealed.
I think it willbe made tall like the C-max, and would have lots of room for a compact car.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I guess I'm the only one who likes the concept car! I would change the back end a little, but other than that, it would be a fine little Lincoln with a 2.0 EcoBoost engine.
I'm sure it will not be as controversial when the final design is revealed.
I think it willbe made tall like the C-max, and would have lots of room for a compact car.
You're not the only one that likes it. I do, as well. Had a friend of mine in the fashion industry look at it and she loved it! That makes at least three.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Personally I don't think Lincoln needs a small car right now. How about they use whatever money that would go to funding a small car program and put it on what they have now. Lincolns sales are in the crapper and if they don't improve soon they will be dead just like Mercury.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Personally I don't think Lincoln needs a small car right now. How about they use whatever money that would go to funding a small car program and put it on what they have now. Lincolns sales are in the crapper and if they don't improve soon they will be dead just like Mercury.
an important difference ... actually 3-4 of them depending on how you count:
Lincoln got 3 new vehicles since the last new Mercury model (Milan)
MKX + MKS + MKT
While Mercury LOST one, the MonSABLEtego;
and all that new stuff hasn't enabled Lincoln to outsell Merc until the STARVATION turned into MURDER
[/rant off]

and
meant to add other Lincoln stuff - there's been mention of a retractable glass roof

& push-button shifting :yikes:
sorry I don't have details - haven't quite been able to thoroughly read everything (too upset)

also
there's a thread elsewhere where people are talking about Lincoln's new plans threatening Cadillac

sorry-also to say I'm not taking that very seriously - so far :toetap:

-------------------
Wonder if FoMoCo will make us wait until LAIAS (or later) to find out anything more about a new littlest Lincoln?

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

an important difference ... actually 3-4 of them depending on how you count:
Lincoln got 3 new vehicles since the last new Mercury model (Milan)
MKX - MKS - MKT
and all that new stuff hasn't enabled Lincoln to outsell Merc until the STARVATION turned into MURDER
[/rant off]

and
meant to add other Lincoln stuff - there's been mention of a retractable glass roof

& push-button shifting :yikes:
sorry I don't have details - haven't quite been able to thoroughly read everything (too upset)

also
there's a thread elsewhere where people are talking about Lincoln's new plans threatening Cadillac

sorry-also to say I'm not taking that very seriously - so far :toetap:

-------------------
Wonder if FoMoCo will make us wait until LAIAS (or later) to find out anything more about a new littlest Lincoln?
You mean like the button on the Jags? I would like that on Lincolns.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You mean like the button on the Jags? I would like that on Lincolns.
dunno :blush: read a post but not the article
think it's one at Media.Ford.com

but I call the Jag thingie a KNOB...
...many generations ago in the late 50's, they had shift buttons built into the dash that looked a lot like old fashioned radio buttons - trés space-age

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

dunno :blush: read a post but not the article
think it's one at Media.Ford.com

but I call the Jag thingie a KNOB...
...many generations ago in the late 50's, they had shift buttons built into the dash that looked a lot like old fashioned radio buttons - trés space-age
I guess we'll have to wait and see...

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

MkA-Explorer like Crossover
MkB-subcompact car
MkC-Compact car
MkL-Full size LWB sedan
MkR-RWD mid size car
MkS-full size SWB car
MkT-full size crossover
MkU-subcompact crossover
MkW-compact crossover
MkX-mid size crossover
MkZ-mid size FWD car
Nav-full size SUV

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

^ e - i - e - i - o

Anything remotely resembling the horrid C Concept would be an instant fail in my book.

I would like to see a compact sedan that is strongly influenced by the MKR Concept (except for the grille; I guess the grille wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so massive). It should be built on a stretched version of the C-platform (107 inches) and have similar dimensions to the Suzuki Kizashi (the Lincoln compact sedan should be around 184 inches long, 72 inches wide, and 58 inches high). A 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cylinder should be the base engine. AWD will be an available option. This compact sedan would introduce a new naming scheme for Lincoln sedans. This compact sedan would be named "Mark III". The replacement for the current MKZ would be named "Mark VI" and the replacement for the current MKS would be named "Mark IX". The Mark III range would eventually be expanded to include a coupe-cabrio and a wagon.

If Lincoln wants to seriously compete in the premium compact segment, then FoMoCo will create something similar to what I described above. If Lincoln wants to become a ridiculous punchline in the premium compact segment, then FoMoCo will create something similar to the hideous looking C Concept.

Just my opinion...
saw your explanation elsewhere, Cire
& believe it to be very well thought out - about the numerals LOOKING different to avoid confusion

so corrected the typo ^
& *bump*

however
it reminds me too much of Mazda
so what about using some other, "lucky" numbers?
Mark III - Mark VII - Mark XI
(maybe I've been in Reno too long?)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts