Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A familiar name is getting a dramatic new look: The now-deceased Lincoln Town Car is coming back to life as a hulking crossover SUV.

Ford's luxury brand plans to retag its MKT as a Town Car when it sold to limousine operators. It is making a special version of the big crossover just for them as part of a model refresh, both inside and outside, for the 2013 model year.

Lincoln virtually owned the "black car" and limousine industry for more than a decade with its huge, rounded Town Car, a full-size, rear-wheel-drive sedan. Now that the model is no longer being produced, Lincoln is hoping to hang on to the limo business with the new version of the MKT. It's yet to be seen whether limo operators embrace it.

Lincoln bills the MKT Town Car as offering a higher roof line with more room for rear-seat passengers. It has a spacious trunk and big wide doors for easy access. It will come in a standard length, but can be stretched up to 10 feet. Unlike the Town Car sedan, the MKT Town Car is all-wheel drive, which concerns operators worried that it might lack in durability.

Two Town Car body styles include standard livery version with available all-wheel drive, and stretchable heavy-duty Limousine with standard all-wheel drive. The limo chassis accommodates stretches adding an additional 120 inches (10 feet).

Second-row seats in the MKT Town Car have been repositioned rearward by 1.5 inches for additional legroom. A switch on the rear passenger side door allows a rear-seat passenger to control the front passenger seat, providing even more legroom. The three-person rear seat also reclines. It has 39.6 cubic feet of cargo volume in the rear.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/11/lincoln-mkt-crossover-town-car/1

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"hulking SUV"?????

Really?

I don't think it is much heavier than the V8 BOF TC, and probably shorter as well.

A big % of TC's I have seen in the last few years, have been for livery duty.
This MKT will serve that business much, much better, what with it's massive limo like 2nd row seats, total roominess, smooth ride, big glass roofs, storage, performance, features, etc. I will miss the old TC, but a quick ride in the updated MKT will make me forget it.

This should fill a huge sales hole for Lincoln.
Looks great in black too.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
That MKT does look good in black.

There were some interior shots at the begining of the year but I am wondering if they will make anymore minor changes to the interior on the Town Car spec.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well I meant for the back seat

·
Registered
997 Posts
Here's a thought. I wonder if it was ever discussed to offer the "Town Car Series" as both LWB MKS(so the rear seat has enough leg room etc) in addition to MKT Town Car? My reason being some of us (me for example) prefer to be driven around in a Limousine or Formal car that is based and looks like a regular sedan not an CUV/SUV Limousine/Formal . I would prefer to request a new Lincoln(if I ever needed to have this service) instead of the Cadillac XTS for a Formal Sedan/Limousine to attend a function. Cadillac might gain sales this way due to being a sedan which some individuals prefer.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a thought. I wonder if it was ever discussed to offer the "Town Car Series" as both LWB MKS(so the rear seat has enough leg room etc) in addition to MKT Town Car? My reason being some of us (me for example) prefer to be driven around in a Limousine or Formal car that is based and looks like a regular sedan not an CUV/SUV Limousine/Formal . I would prefer to request a new Lincoln(if I ever needed to have this service) instead of the Cadillac XTS for a Formal Sedan/Limousine to attend a function. Cadillac might gain sales this way due to being a sedan which some individuals prefer.
I have heard this remark before and I thought of this,

…most limo services these days seems to prefer more larger CUV-SUV-ish vehicles, based on customer preferences and requests. I would be inclined then to believe that many a taxi livery service (from the airport or similar), who seem to prioritize space and fuel/cost efficiency, would also love to swing the trend in that direction as well. I have driven in all kinds of limos and taxis, and I would much rather be driven in a roomy vehicle with a luxurious ride, than one I have to squeeze down into, like a sedan. Perhaps it's a snobbery thing, looking down on the others.

Maybe this thing won't take off and buck the trend.
My guess is that it will.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I agree that this is a good use for the vehicle, and even better, it appears Lincoln is open to names again.
This does look very nice for this function, and sales should increase.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think the name "Town Car Shooting Brake" would've been more fitting but what do I know? :p
Yeah, but 'shooting' and 'Limo' don't go well together since the Kennedy administration.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The big problem with this change, is that the Livery companies do not want the MKT. Ford should've redesigned the Town Car every 5 years to keep it fresh. That would've kept the Livery companies updating. Why buy new cars when the 98's looked 95% the same as a 2011? Lincoln needs a REAL Town Car replacement. (RWD, big sedan with a 3.5 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8) Those would sell to the Limo companies, and traditional buyers alike.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think the name "Town Car Shooting Brake" would've been more fitting but what do I know? :p
I like the idea! Although the "Shooting-Brake" name is normally used for three door wagons it sure sounds nice and in these days when we have 4 door coupes . . . who really cares?

Does anyone knows what has Ford done to put at ease the concerns of the livery fleets regarding the rise on the costs of repairs and maintenance? The one thing about the Panther cars is that they were super cheap to repair and maintain.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They can't have it all.
They can't have "cheap to maintain and updated through commonality of parts from several decades of availability" as well as "new, freshened and exciting."

There is a point where old gets older, and new is needed.
This is that point.

The livery business will demand these products, because they make sense and are cheap to maintain as well.
No more money at least than all the other new products that they would have to consider.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
They can't have it all.
They can't have "cheap to maintain and updated through commonality of parts from several decades of availability" as well as "new, freshened and exciting."

This is that point.

The livery business will demand these products, because they make sense and are cheap to maintain as well.
No more money at least than all the other new products that they would have to consider.
Makes sense . . .

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
They can't have it all.

This is that point.

What may help is that there are now quite a few D3/D4 vehicles:

Taurus / Police Interceptor
Sable (no longer in prodcution)
Flex
Explorer / Police Utility
MKS
MKT / MKT Town Car

Because of this parts should be more available and the cost should come down a bit. The only thing I could see being expensive to fix if it were to break would be the Lincoln Ride Control.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is the problem, they don't want this solution. Ford knows they made a mistake killing off the Crown Vic & Town Car's. I hope they can rectify this soon, they have basically abandoned the traditional Police and Livery groups, and neither wants the new offerings. The old Town car was capable of 400,000 miles with ease. I know of one that was exported to Germany after 1 million miles with the original engine and trans. The livery companies don't want FWD cars, they tried Cadillac's FWD cars and they had huge problems making it past 100K in a Livery application. They don't want AWD's either. They just want a normal RWD sedan, that's UPDATED. I understand Ford trying to push the Taurus police package, but with the MKT, you have to wonder what they were thinking. People who are paying for livery service don't want to ride in an ugly wagon. The MKS would've been a better choice than the MKT if they came out with an L version, but the Livery companies to not want FWD's at all.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Royale already offers a LWB MKZ. A LWB MKS would fit better than the MKT Town Car. Does it have to be called Town Car? Is Brougham too faux-pas? How about MKS-L? We need a poll to see who wants an SUV/CUV Limo/Formal sedan and who would rather be driven around in a regular sedan version Limousine/Formal Sedan. I still vote for a version based on the sedan. LWB LImo SUV/CUV's have a Blingy-ness Escalde look/feeling about it. I don't want that. A sedan Limo makes for a more sophisticated/refined/elegant ride.

I like the idea of a "shooting break". How would the MKZ do with a 3-door sporty wagon and a convertible version as well? The MKS might be to big for shooting break (not sure what size would qualify as shooting break) and they have one already called MKT.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My reason being some of us (me for example) prefer to be driven around in a Limousine or Formal car that is based and looks like a regular sedan not an CUV/SUV Limousine/Formal . I would prefer to request a new Lincoln(if I ever needed to have this service) instead of the Cadillac XTS for a Formal Sedan/Limousine to attend a function. Cadillac might gain sales this way due to being a sedan which some individuals prefer.
This is the main reason the Livery companies are not ordering the MKT. The customers don't want to ride in them. I would not worry about Cadillac stealing too many sales either though. The Livery companies have been burned badly by Caddy & their FWD Northstar's. Someone will step up to the RWD plate if Lincoln doesn't. There is a big shift away from Limo's too. More riders now prefer a Town Car L, over the limo because they don't want to portray excess and waste. The corporate world has become very conscious of this. Unfortunately nothing else Lincoln has has the long term durability that the Town Cars have. Even the Navigators don't hold up to Livery use.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess some of us, who have no factual clue about what livery business' actually want, could argue all day either way….but I am inclined to believe that a company like Ford, who leads everyone else in fleet sales, actually did their homework, and will offer a product that will sell just fine.

And regarding RWD vs FWD durability, I call BS.
There is simply no reason why one can't design and engineer a FWD transaxle that can withstand the vigors of daily fleet/taxi/limo use.
The upgraded interceptor units will use the same components as the regular 300hp versions. That alone says a lot about durability on standard limos and taxis.

But imho, from what I see….the overall MKT TC package with a much smoother and quieter ride and fuel savings and additional room and lure for customers awesome features and big glass roofs and room to stretch your legs or to carry a ton of luggage as well as extra people in comfort or that can actually be used in winter months in the north……far outweighs a few negatives. Ford is simply NOT going to carry a whole production line, or spend the money to upgrade it and all the tooling….for the extreme few who might want RWD. It's really that simple. Ford will benefit in far more ways that outweigh those few sales that might go to a 300…complete with it's lack of space.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess some of us, who have no factual clue about what livery business' actually want, could argue all day either way….but I am inclined to believe that a company like Ford, who leads everyone else in fleet sales, actually did their homework, and will offer a product that will sell just fine.

And regarding RWD vs FWD durability, I call BS.
There is simply no reason why one can't design and engineer a FWD transaxle that can withstand the vigors of daily fleet/taxi/limo use.
The upgraded interceptor units will use the same components as the regular 300hp versions. That alone says a lot about durability on standard limos and taxis.

But imho, from what I see….the overall MKT TC package with a much smoother and quieter ride and fuel savings and additional room and lure for customers awesome features and big glass roofs and room to stretch your legs or to carry a ton of luggage as well as extra people in comfort or that can actually be used in winter months in the north……far outweighs a few negatives. Ford is simply NOT going to carry a whole production line, or spend the money to upgrade it and all the tooling….for the extreme few who might want RWD. It's really that simple. Ford will benefit in far more ways that outweigh those few sales that might go to a 300…complete with it's lack of space.
I hear you, I'm just repeating what I was told by the Livery companies. Most have just stocked up on new or late model used Town Cars, so they can wait 3-5 years before needing cars. Maybe by then something that will work for them will have been introduced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts