5,933 Posts
man look at that thing sag in the rear when everyone is loaded into it haha

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Not sure I want to remember any car from the 80s.
This car was a good car for the time. The Fairmont-Zephyr platform was one of the most prolific platform for Ford in decades. They did many cars on it: Mustang-Capri , LTD-Marquis, Thunderbird-CougarXR-7 , Granada-Cougar, Lincoln Mark , Lincoln Continental... Not bad at all.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
And what about this car... one of the most beautiful car from ford in many time. A car that started the "aerodinamic" trend in automotive design. the "aero" Thunderbird!:

View attachment 5289

Still, today, looks very good and modern. Elegant, simple, luxurious and sport style. Perfect for a personal luxury coupe. I miss it

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
This car saved Ford in this decade. One of the best cars from Ford. A very succesful launch. An Icon.
This is also a SHO I have a soft spot for SHOs, true sleepers!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had forgotten about the Zephyr 2-door model with the odd side window behind the B pillar. I used to picture the car as a 2-seater with the rear window behind the B-pillar; it looked like the back part of the cabin was tacked on afterwards.

Oh, and I keep running into this Baja character everywhere! :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I had forgotten about the Zephyr 2-door model with the odd side window behind the B pillar. I used to picture the car as a 2-seater with the rear window behind the B-pillar; it looked like the back part of the cabin was tacked on afterwards.

Oh, and I keep running into this Baja character everywhere! :)
77-79 Thunderbird had the same design

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
77-79 Thunderbird had the same design

Those Fairmont-Zephyr coupes, with that "opera" window, was intended ,initially ,to replace the Thunderbird. But, a last minute decision (thanks God), the Thunderbird will get an update ( an ugly one...the squared Thunderbird) and after that the new "aero" T-bird come to life... here the 1980 Thunderbird:

View attachment 5297

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Those Fairmont-Zephyr coupes, with that "opera" window, was intended ,initially ,to replace the Thunderbird. But, a last minute decision (thanks God), the Thunderbird will get an update ( an ugly one...the squared Thunderbird) and after that the new "aero" T-bird come to life... here the 1980 Thunderbird:

View attachment 5297
Yep the 80-82 Thunderbird and Cougar were both not received well

·
Registered
20 Posts
My grandmother had a 1979 Futura with the 302 V8, was a really good car. Basically a comfortable 4-seater Mustang. One design flaw of the Futura was that the trunk was a few inches too shallow (styling for a lower/sleeker trunk lid), and a full grocery bag wouldn't stand up.

The big grumble I had was that my grandmother gave it to my uncle a few months after I got my drivers license. LOL

A good friend told me that they could be ordered with a performance gauge package, bucket seats, and a automatic floor shifter. His father had ordered a Fairmount wagon like that (but couldn't take delivery - got laid-off) Though overall, it's hard finding a Futura (or 2-door Zephyr) with the factory V8.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I also had a black Futura coupe, which had an ailing 200-6 in it. Red interior, plus a sunroof I installed with my dad. Until the motor died, it was decent...and I always kinda liked the coupe body style.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts