1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louisville Focus !?!

BREAKING RUMOR3 - BREAKING RUMOR3 - BREAKING RUMOR3
...transplanting & being blunt with theories I've hinted at,
— imho Chicago will build the unibody-Explorer NextYear: 2009 - no re-tooling required
Louisville will be rebuilt for C cars (maybe EUCD too - not quite the reverse of my flex idea above)
^ = imho the 1st ANNOUNCEMENT, next month
— Wayne continues C170 until Louisville is up'n'running, maybe/probably with an overlap period, possibly more than one year

No Idea if the first euro-C plant will build C1 or C2 ...Or what brand(s) they'll be (& could easily be wrong about which plants get what) but I still question just how different C2 will be from C1 or even from C170
Autoblog - Ford to produce Focus in two plants in 2010

Posted Jun 23rd 2008 12:58PM by Chris Shunk

...To give Americans more of what they want, the Dearborn, MI automaker plans to produce the next generation Focus in two plants. Industry insiders say Ford will convert its Louisville plant from Explorer production to a mix of small vehicles, including the Focus. There is no word at this time if the plant will also build other smaller models as well, but it's a good bet that Ford will make the plant more flexible so it can adapt to consumer demand...

----------------
bolding in both quotes by me :)
edit:
If the wunnerfull wizard of autoblOg is right... they say Louisville won't be producing the Focii until near the end of 2010...
...we'll seeeeeeeeeeee

re-edit
here's the Link to the subscription only Autonews.com article that Og based their article on
Ford likely to build '11 Focus at 2 plants

When Ford Motor Co. introduces a European-developed Ford Focus in late 2010, it is likely to produce the U.S. model in two plants. The 2011 Focus probably will be built in Wayne, Mich., and Louisville, Ky., said industry sources familiar with Ford's product plans. Ford makes the current Focus only at the Wayne factory. The Louisville plant currently makes the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer SUVs.
[ end of snippet ]

re-re-edit
link to my June 13th post for those interested in the 'paper trail'
& the May 15th thread that no one replied to ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nice choice. They are going to greatly benefit from this too. I also wonder if there is going to be another car built along side her too. Or just build a single car?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I think it would be in order to give a Mercury Variant and hopefully a Mazda or a Volvo to a US plant

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ there are a number of C1 & C1-related vehicles already
C-Max, Kuga, Transit-Connect!!
Mz3, Mz5
C30, S40, V50, C70, XC60(iirc), nextyear?-S60
&
isn't the EUCD a stretched C1 to some degree?
Mondeo, S-Max/Galaxy, S80

also
Isn't there an eastern Europe factory building C1-Focii for Russia
& where do they build the them for China?
maybe the S.Africa plant that supplied(ies) Australia?
...wonder if some of those could actually be imported even before Louisville comes online?
no idea about the S.Africa exchange rate but could that have something to do with the switch to building them In Australia? to free up that plant's production for...

edit
to include AutoblogGreen's 'similar' article

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
XC60(iirc), nextyear?-S60 correction EUCD platform based.

Yes C1 was referred to as C1-Plus. I am sure Volvo did lots of upgraded engineering, not just stretching. I believe the EUCD shared brakes, suspension and electrical systems with C1.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MKII, I hadn't heard that the nextyear?-S60 would be EUCD platform based.
Saw that the C70 is supposed to be a stretched C1, not EUCD, at Swedespeed iirc.
&
?did you mean to say, "Yes EUCD was referred to as C1-Plus...
Yes C1 was referred to as C1-Plus. I am sure Volvo did lots of upgraded engineering, not just stretching. I believe the EUCD shared brakes, suspension and electrical systems with C1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts