·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louisville's Ford plant may get new Lincoln SUV
BY JERE DOWNS
Nov. 8, 2010
Detroit Free Press

Ford Motor Co. is expected to build a new Lincoln sport utility vehicle — alongside the Escape and other compact, fuel-efficient models — at the Louisville Assembly Plant once the factory's renovation is completed a year from now, company officials say.

The addition of a Lincoln nameplate to the Louisville lineup would come as Ford focuses more attention on a luxury brand that was largely overlooked when the company owned Volvo, Jaguar and Range Rover. With those luxury names sold off, Lincoln now is the focus of Ford's effort to attract premium buyers.

Ford executives, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the as-yet unnamed Lincoln SUV, which is still in development, will be smaller than the Lincoln MKX and compete with the Lexus RX.

A formal announcement of new Louisville Assembly products is expected early next month, before the plant stops producing the Ford Explorer on Dec. 13.

A smaller Lincoln SUV “makes sense,” said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at the automotive Web site Edmunds.com. “That segment right now is one of the hotter segments.”

The Lexus RX dominates the small luxury crossover SUV market — 76,465 of the vehicles were sold in the first 10 months of the year, including a newer hybrid version. Far behind but swiftly gaining market share, Acura sold 12,252 of its luxury RDX. BMW has sold just 5,135 of its X3 model this year.

Besides finely appointed interiors and other luxury perks, those premium SUVs generally seat five, have 4- or 6-cylinder engines and cost between $32,000 and $40,000.

Lincoln already markets the maxi-size Lincoln Navigator, built at the Kentucky Truck Plant alongside the Ford Expedition SUV and Super Duty truck. Next smaller in size, the Lincoln MKT seats seven. The size of a Ford Edge, the Lincoln MKX seats five.

Ford vice president of marketing Ken Czubay didn't discuss what will be built in Louisville during a monthly conference call with journalists and investors this week. But asked about poor Lincoln sales so far this year, Czubay acknowledged that the automaker is focused on renewing its luxury line.

Full text at link

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Smaller than the MKX and compete with the RX?????

·
Registered
414 Posts
The RX is not a small CUV. Lexus has been rumored to get a RAV4 CUV for some time, that is what a Kuga sized Lincoln would compete with.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I am guessing it is going to get the hybrid powertrain as well... I really want Lincoln to get their own hybrid power trains so they are different from the ford ones... I was hoping the MKZ would be a V6 Hybrid but I think they were aiming for class leading

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I wonder if the next generation Edge/MKX will be on stretched and widened platform of the next Escape/Kuga/small Lincoln CUV. It could be something they consider for the 2015 model year.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder if the next generation Edge/MKX will be on stretched and widened platform of the next Escape/Kuga/small Lincoln CUV. It could be something they consider for the 2015 model year.
CD4 is based on EUCD, which is related to C1. Escape will be C2. Next Edge will likely be CD4. That's essentially what you've described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts