Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Image above is the 2009 Chevy Caprice SS (Middle East)

Courtesy of Autoblog.com:

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/lutz-pontiac-g8-to-continue-as-chevy-caprice-in-u-s-z28-likel/

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Thanks goodness for Lutz. I am seriously consindering this car to replace my aging focus chariot at some point..

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Thanks goodness for Lutz. I am seriously consindering this car to replace my aging focus chariot at some point..
"Blasphemy! Blasphe-you...blasphe everybody in the room." - Eddie Izzard ^~

I drove the G8, and was very impressed, even with the V6...it had its quirks...particularly an "Overspeed Warning" that the dealer wasn't sure how to turn off. And that the Australian based Blaupunkt Audio was not compatible with a Sirius/XM satellite radio system...which I couldn't live without.

I'm with you though, I'm very thrilled that Lutz is keeping the G8 alive and making it a new version of the Caprice. Though, maybe the Lumina name, or Chevelle name would sound better...

The best fact, an SS version really gives the new Ford Taurus SHO direct competition.

Also, it may give Ford more reason to re-think the Global Rear-Wheel Drive platform...but with CAFE the way it is going...that may not happen as Ford plans to move the Taurus and Fusion to a shared global Mondeo based C/D platform.

So...all in all...I'm just glad that a great car, the G8, is going to live on as the Caprice.

Stay Fab!
RG

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"Blasphemy! Blasphe-you...blasphe everybody in the room." - Eddie Izzard ^~

I drove the G8, and was very impressed, even with the V6...it had its quirks...particularly an "Overspeed Warning" that the dealer wasn't sure how to turn off. And that the Australian based Blaupunkt Audio was not compatible with a Sirius/XM satellite radio system...which I couldn't live without.

I'm with you though, I'm very thrilled that Lutz is keeping the G8 alive and making it a new version of the Caprice. Though, maybe the Lumina name, or Chevelle name would sound better...

The best fact, an SS version really gives the new Ford Taurus SHO direct competition.

Also, it may give Ford more reason to re-think the Global Rear-Wheel Drive platform...but with CAFE the way it is going...that may not happen as Ford plans to move the Taurus and Fusion to a shared global Mondeo based C/D platform.

So...all in all...I'm just glad that a great car, the G8, is going to live on as the Caprice.

Stay Fab!
RG
I think as a daily driver the Taurus is better, but as a performance Sedan, SHO cannot keep up with a GXP/SS.. not a chance..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Standard wheelbase models should be named Chevelle and Chevelle SS (since the FWD Impala continues) for the entry-level and sports markets. The long-wheelbase should be named either Caprice or Belair for the family market.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I am honestly just glad...and hope that they don't re-badge this as an Impala. No offense to the Impalas of the 60s...but the Impala has suffered the same fate that Ford allowed to happen to the Taurus in the 90s. It became a lame duck...even lamer compared to the Taurus, and to the offerings of Honda and Toyota.

Where the Taurus was once the bastion of the Rental-Car Fleet, the Chevrolet Impala, even the supposed SS models, are the workhorse of Hertz, Enterprise, Alamo...and so on.

Bringing back a storied name...especially Caprice, if GMs goal is to attract the Law Enforcement market, will go a long way to saying that this is what a new Chevrolet can be.

Ford has shown that the Taurus can be a real competitor once again...and despite the now common criticisms in favor of Honda...the new Taurus is the car it should have been...back in 2000...and the 2000 redesign, is what the Taurus should have been in 1994.

This new Caprice, or even Chevelle, has the chance to do the same for GM...and show that Chevrolet can still recapture the essence of what was good...and improve it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Lutz says... OH YEAH?

"It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time…" - FastlaneBlogs
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman
July 16th, 2009

NEVER MIND:
I see this as
  • really screwing up any semblance of "brand order" for the new GM
  • being an un-needed complication for Ford figuring out how to handle GRwdP
    • if it works could make Ford look like they're copying (& late)
    • if it doesn't could prejudice the media/public against GRwdP

NOT^^^^^ a photo of Bob Lutz ...I think

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Lutz shouldn't be muzzled, but maybe he should run GM? I think bringing the Caprice back might do something for their company, and bring the Pontiac fan-boys to Chevy would keep them from going elsewhere. Not that Ford doesn't mind the increase in customers, but thinking for GM, they need all the customers they can get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts