Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford ups electrification investment to $11B, plans 16 battery-electric vehicles by 2022
Automotive News
- Michael Martinez - January 14, 2018

Ford Motor Co. on Sunday said it's more than doubling its investment in electrification and planning to roll out 16 fully electric vehicles within five years. It said the first of those EVs would arrive in 2020.

The automaker said it would spend $11 billion on the technology by 2022 and introduce 40 electrified vehicles globally within that time. Executives said 16 would be battery electrics and 24 would be hybrids or plug-in hybrids, without specifying how many of each type. It's unclear how many of them would be sold in the U.S.

Ford had committed in late 2015 to spending $4.5 billion to develop 13 electrified vehicles over a five-year period, including one battery electric: a 300-mile range crossover expected in 2020.

Ford announced the expanded plans after revealing the 2019 Ranger, Edge ST and Mustang Bullitt the Detroit auto show.

"We're all in, and the only question is will the customers be there with us?" Bill Ford, Ford's executive chairman, told reporters.

The announcement comes three months after Ford set up a group of employees, dubbed Team Edison, to study vehicle electrification. Its crosstown rival General Motors has vowed to introduce at least 20 fully electric or fuel-cell models by 2023. GM has not put a dollar amount on its investment plans.

"We see it as an increase in an important part of where we are going forward," said Raj Nair, Ford's president of North America.

Ford hinted at a performance battery electric vehicle called Mach 1, coming in 2020. Nair said the vehicle could be a crossover based on the Mustang.

Basing EVs on existing nameplates that customers know, such as the Mustang, can help the company make the vehicles more successful, Bill Ford said.

"The idea is we're going to electrify our most iconic vehicles," he said.

Ford previously has said it would sell hybrid versions of the Mustang and F-150 by 2020.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Don't know how long the Mach name has been in place, but I have been hinting at Ford's big development for BEV for quite some time now, mostly in response to all the criticism that Ford is not doing enough post GM's recent announcement. I even stated that EVERYTHING is being studied for BEV, and with this announcement, that should not be a surprise.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
So you think they just started, after GM's recent announcement, really borg?
Sure, Ford's program is also much further behind and Ford's CEO was fired because Wallstreet was not happy with Ford's tepid BEV plans. Actually, they only had 1 BEV plan until the new CEO.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Sure, Ford's program is also much further behind and Ford's CEO was fired because Wallstreet was not happy with Ford's tepid BEV plans. Actually, they only had 1 BEV plan until the new CEO.
Believe what you want my friend, but I have assisted in project studies over a year ago personally. And Ford redeployed their EEE building into the FEL Ford Engineering Lab for the sole purpose of electrification back in early 2015, which certainly would have included far more than 1 BEV from Fields.....LMFAO

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'm sure Fomoco has been working on just about every development that can be reasonably expected to bear fruit (profit) BUT
it wouldn't surprise me At ALL if using the Mach1 name was finalized withIN the last WEEK (or 2 :angel )
Update Jan 14 6:00 p.m. est: Mike Levine clarified(?) his tweet in a message to Jalopnik, saying Ford is “researching the name Mach 1 to see how customers respond,” for a high performance battery electric SUV.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't know how long the Mach name has been in place, but I have been hinting at Ford's big development for BEV for quite some time now, mostly in response to all the criticism that Ford is not doing enough post GM's recent announcement. I even stated that EVERYTHING is being studied for BEV, and with this announcement, that should not be a surprise.
..and so far they have zero concepts to show. It is idiotic. Haven't they learned anything from Musk? People (including me) plopped down $1k to get on a list 2 years ago for a car I probably won't get until late this year. But, it kept me from buying something else.

So, Ford made a stupid video with an Explorer and a Mustang. Yay? It was everything I knew it would be. Blah blah blah...x number of models by 2022, with a CUV coming, oh, when, lets say MY2021.

And, wow, that Hackett just exudes excitement. I keep waiting for his nurse to come out on stage and take him back to the home in a wheel chair.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ford is probably revising its EV program under Hackett which explains the new investment and seemingly hasty and intentionally vague "mach 1' tease which seems to significantly confuse their message. Either that or the outsourced Chinese project is accounting for much of the new money/product count.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nothing but negativity, no balance.
I'm as big a Ford/Lincoln fan as any one here but come on.

We. Need. Something. Tangible.

Ford/Lincoln needs to let the design team do so dreaming and come up with something unique, inspiring, and yes tangible.

Even if Ford showed a concept and decided to go in a different direction with the production model it would at least give us and news outlets something physical to talk about and look forward to. They could even go the Acura route and show just a conceptual interior that would be better than nothing. Acura did this a year ago:

Get it together Ford.............................

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
CJknox, my comment was in reference to his multiple negative posts he made in this thread and others related to Ford just within the past few hours.

I know Wingsnut can be a super Ford fan at times but I think it's stupid to argue with someone who works in engineering at Ford and tell him that Ford just started working on something because GM did it. Ford is slow at times but has proven mostly to get it right when it does come to market...... Ecoboost, My Ford, aluminum F150, Raptor, Navigator and so on. The Navigator alone has leapfrogged every competitor in it's price range, it went from last to first. I don't see him giving Ford credit on why GM is putting a V6 in the Silverado, Ford was first. What about infotainment, My Ford was first with a lot of problems albeit.

I like the new Silverado, especially the aggressive exterior design, but I haven't heard or seen anything of it to pose a threat to the F150 outside of it being all new.

Just be fair and give credit where due.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I said from the NAIAS thread what I took from it is that the next generation Mustang and Explorer will be on a shared platform and the two will spawn a performance oriented crossover—That was just my take on the video.

As for the name, if it’s a Mach 1 it should be a Mustang, not a SUV. Remember the Evos concept? I think that would be a fitting name.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
CJknox, my comment was in reference to his multiple negative posts he made in this thread and others related to Ford just within the past few hours.

I know Wingsnut can be a super Ford fan at times but I think it's stupid to argue with someone who works in engineering at Ford and tell him that Ford just started working on something because GM did it. Ford is slow at times but has proven mostly to get it right when it does come to market...... Ecoboost, My Ford, aluminum F150, Raptor, Navigator and so on. The Navigator alone has leapfrogged every competitor in it's price range, it went from last to first. I don't see him giving Ford credit on why GM is putting a V6 in the Silverado, Ford was first. What about infotainment, My Ford was first with a lot of problems albeit.

I like the new Silverado, especially the aggressive exterior design, but I haven't heard or seen anything of it to pose a threat to the F150 outside of it being all new.

Just be fair and give credit where due.

Good points, and I do realize I can be a bit of an overly super fan of Ford, but that usually comes out when I hear sweeping generalizations and criticisms that are just not true or not fair. Borg is impassioned on advancing automotive technology, and I get that and try to keep that thought, when I also feel a corrective remark is required.

Regarding EV concepts, yeah I get peoples frustration, and I am still hoping for something at NAIAS or soon after, but where exactly are GM's future concepts for 2020 and beyond? Also, Ford's EV news came literally a few months from GM's news, yet the criticism continues and it is hypocritical. So GM has the Bolt, and yeah, that is a unique platform from which they learned a few things, but to discount Ford's years of EV/PHEV leadership and learning simply because the platform is not unique or that the battery is bigger (range), is fake criticism. Ford has always been and always will be closely guarded with their future competitive advantages, and those who know this yet pretend they are "many years behind" because they don't see it in front of them, are best to remember this fact, so that we can endure fewer false daily criticisms.

·
Registered
543 Posts
...well, I don't mind supporting the company you work for. And, no doubt, Ford has been very bold in other areas. Jumping to alu for the new F150 was pretty incredible. The range of performance variants was also a very intelligent move. Performance cars may move in small numbers, but they provide a halo effect, the buyers tend not to dicker on price, and they tend to be ardent brand loyalists. But, on the EV front, regardless of your statements otherwise, Ford is not and hasn't been an EV leader since the Escape Hybrid got ash-canned. The numbers bear it out. GM and Tesla are both about to cross over the 200,000 threshold for PEVs this year. Ford isn't even close. If Ford is leading in electrification, that are leading from the rear.

They need to understand, hybrids aren't going to do it, and judging by their prior planning, they were convinced that was where the market was: hybrids. And, that thinking stemmed from the idea that they a) had to meet CAFE standards, b) people wouldn't want BEVS, and c) people who wanted electrics wanted them because they were eco-nuts or cheap SOBs.

And, yes, even though GM pumped out a Bolt in near record time, they also misaligned their strategy, because they also thought that BEV buyers were eco-nerds. Instead of making the Bolt a RWD Caddy CUV, they made a cheap ass hatchback with a $44k price tag. They could have made a Caddy with a $49k price tag and offer options like SuperCruise and creamed Tesla. Instead, they're essentially canceling the ATS. In December, IIRC, GM sold more Bolts than they sold ATS, CTS, and CT6 combined. Caddy sold 2,800 ATS, CTS, and CT6. They sold nearly 3,300 Bolts.

And, no doubt Caddy will bring out the ICE XT4 right about the time all the other avant garde (M-B EQC) will be intro'ing BEV CUVs because they didn't learn a **** thing.

Better late to the party than never, I guess, but that doesn't mean we can't stand around and notice your continued absence.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
AFAIAC, Ford need only to continue it's current plan, which includes looking at the near and long term markets, advancing hybrid, PHEV and EV and autonomous technology and new markets, deliver on all the above and watch carefully to see where the market trends are leaning, and quickly adapt. It is far too risky and makes no sense for a company like Ford to go all in too soon on too much BEV. 16 products in a few years seem about right, I guess. Bolt can sell a lot today, but at $6K-$7K loss per sale, who is benefiting, other than the customer? Ford is a business, first and foremost, and needs to act accordingly.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ford continues to do much more talking than showing on EVs, that's what's really irritating to people since it's been going on for years. Furthermore, their messaging is getting ever more murky.

The reality is that it doesn't really matter if they have nothing today as long as they arrive when it's critical and they seem to appreciate the 'disruptive' nature of the tech and how critical it is. We're concerned about Ford not being ready for a future that isn't here yet and it's hard to believe Ford can just show up after having done so little in the interim, but they've gotten it right out of the gate before.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts