Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAZDA BREAKS COVER ON THE THREE-DOOR MAZDA 2

Mazda has recently shown us a lovely Lime-Green production version of the new Mazda2 sub-compact. It is quite an attractive and sharp looking little car, as well as being the base for the new Ford Fiesta that is coming to our shores in 2010.

But now, Mazda has shown us a new version of the Mazda2...a Three-Door!

Here is all the full details and photos courtesy of my friends at Left Lane News.com...enjoy!

The first ever three-door Mazda2 hatchback debuted today at the Geneva auto show, following a teaser image from January. Up until now, the Mazda2 has only ever been offered as a five-door hatch or four-door sedan, both of which were redesigned for the 2008 model year.

It's not known if any of the Mazda2 variants will be sold in the United States. That said, it's more likely the three-door hatchback will be sold here than the five-door variant. The next-generation Ford Fiesta, which is based on the Mazda2, is already expected to come to America.

Like the five-door, this latest Mazda2 model is offered with 1.3-liter and 1.5-liter gasoline engines, or a 1.4-liter turbo diesel. The three-door Mazda2 shares the same overall dimensions as the five-door and achieves a similarly modest curb weight.

Mazda2 three-door’s superior passive safety package includes six airbags (depending on grade), ABS, electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), emergency brake assist, and DSC stability control.

So...what do you think?
I know I love it!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think it's a great lookin' little car. :D And I love the interior especially the little radio. I know someone who would snatch one of these little guys up in a heartbeat too.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the car has vinyl floors? I like it a lot...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Personally, I think the Fiesta looks better even though the 2 have a somewhat similar look. There is no competition for the interiors though... the Fiesta's is stunning for a B-class car.

Is the Mazda2 the size of the Ka or Fiesta?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^&^^ pretty sure the Fiesta is a Mz2 sibling & the KA is a Fiat Cinquecento (aka 500) cousin

_wlb____ovl____other________
98.00 - 153.00 - w 66.70 - h 58.10 - Mazda2 5door
97.99 - 145.35 - w 65.12 - h 54.33 - Verve concept (3-door?)
96.37 - 142.50 - w 64.17 - h 55.60 - current KA (I think)
90.60 - 139.60 - w 64.00 - h 58.60 - Fiat 500
(disclaimer: quick googlings)

actually believe the production Fiesta will be a bit closer to Mz2 dimensions
& the Ka will shrink to almost the 500's

&
which photo are you guys seeing the floor in???
&
not sure I like the RX-8-like radio-circle
&
btw, *Like* the Mz2's upholstery!!!

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all honesty chaps, my 2004 Mazda 3 has a similar vinyl insert in the carpet of the floorboards as well. It is helpful if you manage to wear a hole in your carpet floor mat to prevent you from doing the same to your floor.

The Mazda2 will also have this, but it does have carpet on the floors...not high-grade plush carpet, but carpet none the less.

I would expect to find vinyl floors in a work truck.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not feeling this Mazda so much.
Interesting details I guess, but looks entry level to me.
That is the idea with the Mazda2...it is meant to be an entry-level alternative to smaller offerings from the likes of Toyota, Hyundai, and the rest of the micro car competition.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand that, but a Fiesta looks far less entry level to me.
No question, the new Fiesta completely changes the game of the sub-compact B-Segment car...and proves that entry-level does not mean no feature content. But neither does the Mazda 2...it just goes about it in a wholly different manner with the Japanese flair and continuing in the styling that has made the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 such sales successes...while still maintaining that Mazda quirkiness.

I'm sure it looks even better in person...but yes, the Fiesta is just brilliant!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can agree with the earlier statements. There is less trim and extras on the car...but it is still in keeping with Mazda's more sporting design theme.

But in all fairness...putting this up against a Toyota Yaris/Nissan Versa...or any of the unusually quirky European sub-compacts like the Citroen C1, Renault Clio, and other unusual cars...this still looks stunning! It is no Fiesta, but fills the sport focused needs of other buyers.

I still like it!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
since
- I'm feeling like a brat today :D
- & Ford hasn't made a 'NNOUCEMENT about it coming here:
thought rather than start a new thread for a vehicle we CAN'T GET :mad:,
I'd add this post to every Mazda2 thread on the forum :p

"Based on standards of merit, value, safety, environmental responsibility, significance, and emotional appeal..."
MAZDA2 wins WORLDCAR OF THE YEAR!!!

^ swiped from Autoblog ^

so... FORD, HOWZABOUT IT???

umm... my apologies for postwhoring, NDW
but since I can't [email protected] Ford... ...grassroots has to start sumplace...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

"Based on standards of merit, value, safety, environmental responsibility, significance, and emotional appeal..."
MAZDA2 wins WORLDCAR OF THE YEAR!!!

^ swiped from Autoblog ^

so... FORD, HOWZABOUT IT???

umm... my apologies for postwhoring, NDW
but since I can't [email protected] Ford... ...grassroots has to start sumplace...
LOL I love it. :D

I really would be great if we could get this car over here in the USA. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts