Ford Inside News banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
24th February 2007 16:23:29

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - 2.0 Sport- I wonder if, back in 1983 when the designers in the Mazda camp started work on an all new two seater car, the MX-5 they would ever believe it would still be going stronger than ever 24 years later. Not content with one entry to the Guinness Book of records in 2000 for Worlds Best Selling Open Top two Seater Sports Car, another entry was added in 2006 updating the number of units sold to 700,000.
The third generation MX-5 won Japanese Car of the Year 2006 and was runners up in the World Car of the Year 2006.
But things were changing in the world of open top motoring. Many manufacturers were turning to hard tops so Mazda, keeping up with the Jones’s decided to produce the MX-5 Roadster Coupe which is a virtual replica of the highly successful MX-5.
But where many manufacturers have fallen down is the shape of the car gets altered, the boot space seriously compromised and it must be a designer’s nightmare to design a hardtop or coupe that looks good both up and down. But Mazda have done this with the MX-5 Roadster Coupe.
It is only 10mm taller that the soft top versions, has lost not an ounce of it’s sisters looks, put on only 37kg in weight, but when retracted from roadster to coupe in only 12 seconds, which is fastest time on the market today, the boot space is untouched as the roof retracts into the space behind the seats therefore the luggage capacity is un-compromised. A perfect getaway car for the weekend.

Two engine choices are on offer, the 1.8 litre petrol and the 2.0 litre petrol, which was in the heart of my test car, mated to the Sport trim. With a top speed of xxxx 0-62 in xxxx my love affair with the MX5 just got stronger. Fuel economy is a respectable zzzzzz, which was just a well, as I could not stop driving this car. The driving dynamics are out of this world. I even found myself driving 25 miles down the road to walk the dog when I have National Trust land on my doorstep.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/motoring/motorreviews/Mazda+MX+5+Roadster+Coupe+++2.0+Sport+Review-1165.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts