Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz to Launch 11 New Models by 2020
The Silver Arrow Brand Hits Overdrive

In 1985, Mercedes-Benz built just five vehicle lines and offered a total of nine different body styles. Today it has 15 vehicle lines and offers about 30 different body styles. And that staggering rate of proliferation shows no sign of slowing. In fact, it’s going to accelerate: In addition to powertrain changes that include the rollout of 10 plug-in hybrids over the next three years, 11 all-new Mercedes-Benz models will be added to the lineup by 2020, and the company’s entire range will be renamed and restructured.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1410_mercedes_benz_to_launch_11_new_models_by_2020.html#ixzz3Fhf19ale

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...In addition to powertrain changes that include the rollout of 10 plug-in hybrids over the next three years..

still really hoping for my MKE next year
and a SuperEnergi MKS(wic)replacement the year after < which
was independently ranted for on GMI
Amphibian
...It's like my idea for the 2016 MKS:.. ...it can be made awesome... ...Instead of just offering a traditional "big engine" option, do something like this: start with the base MKS FWD sedan at $43,000 and have the 3.5L V-6 with 300 horsepower and a 8AT. Even include extra "tech" like stop-start and cylinder deactivation. Instead of the commonplace 2K AWD option, offer an AWD system that -instead of having traditional AWD- has an electric motor that drives the rear wheels. The 300 horsepower V-6 drives the front wheels while the electric motor drives the rears for a combined 370 or so horsepower. And a bigger electric motor for the rear wheels with another ~80 horsepower would work for a flagship variant. Lots of tech, yet it works with contemporary Lincoln. Considering how accepted the MKZ Hybrid has been, this kind of tech seems likely to work for another Lincoln sedan. And it artificially moves the MKS upmarket by focusing on the more expensive e-AWD versions with the hype and advertising. Even gives Lincoln the opportunity to brand a new AWD system. Call it 4ward (VW has 4Motion and MB has 4Matic).

To me, a product like that seems much more likely for hype than having a standard 43K 3.5L with 2K optional AWD and an EB AWD version.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Mercedes is turning into a full-line Automaker, not just a luxury Automaker. The pace of change and interation at the German Automakers completely dwarfs the rest of the industry and this is why Caddy in particular is going to have a hard time keeping up. They can easily outspend and out grow anybody else. Lincoln will act as the Japanese luxury players act, a catch-all for the mothership brand.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mercedes is turning into a full-line Automaker, not just a luxury Automaker. The pace of change and interation at the German Automakers completely dwarfs the rest of the industry and this is why Caddy in particular is going to have a hard time keeping up. They can easily outspend and out grow anybody else. Lincoln will act as the Japanese luxury players act, a catch-all for the mothership brand.
true....they are doing a great job with that........I really like MB and I have to admit it is easy to be a fan of MB instead of Lincoln haha

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln is a business strategy, not a car....Mercedes is a car...there is a big difference in how one thinks about Mercedes vs Lincoln. The weird thing about being a Ford fan is that everybody praises Lincoln for its profiteering strategy, not it's ability to produce cars of any particular outstanding quality. That is why it's so easy for car enthusiasts to hate Lincoln, its redeeming qualities have little to do with the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts