Ford Inside News banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes ends BMW's reign as U.S.' top luxury brand

Mercedes-Benz has unseated BMW as the best-selling luxury brand in the United States.
Mercedes' U.S. sales jumped 14 percent to 312,534 units last year, setting a new company record. That final tally was also enough to slip past cross-country rival BMW for the U.S. luxury sales title.

BMW also set a company sales record in 2013, but its 309,280 deliveries weren't enough to hold onto the sales crown. BMW had been the U.S.' top selling luxury brand for the last two years.

"It's been an incredible year for Mercedes-Benz in every way," said Steve Cannon, president and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA. "We saw record sales, flexed our muscles across the entire product line from top to bottom and brought the customer experience to an all-time high. With the help of our dealer partners and the entire organization behind us, we expect this beautifully choreographed series of product debuts to lead us to another phenomenal year in 2014."

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-ends-bmws-reign-as-us-top-luxury-brand.html#ixzz2pgDjdHqI

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Imagine a Lexus now in the number three spot after they chased BMW customers that did not desire a Lexus, and ignored their core customers. Imagine a BMW now in the # 2 spot after they abandoned their brand ethos, and chased Mercedes customers that did not desire a BMW. Imagine a Mercedes now in the # 1 spot after they gradually moved to make their core products better dynamically while still retaining traditional Mercedes brand values.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lincoln needs to launch quickly the MKC, redesign the MKS,MKT,MKX and Navi......also needs new models (coupes).
Mercedes Benz has 12 models in the US (only counting the models, this models have at least 2 powertrains each and different body styles in some cases (the C class has a coupe variant, the E class a coupe and a wagon version,etc))
CLA - CLS
C class - E class - S class
SLK - SL - SLS
GLA - GLK - M class - GL
Lincoln have only 5 models right now (I'm not sure if I have to count the MKT, it sells few) will have 6 with the MKC, both the Navi and MKX have only 1 engine option but at least they are fixing this with the MKZ, MKC

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I think we should start a discussion about what luxury really is and why BMW and Mercedes-Benz aren't luxury brands but premium.

http://luxuryinstitute.com/blog/?tag=premium

By that logic, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and the exotic brands are the only genuine luxury car brands left on this planet.

I've always felt that GM and Ford should turn their middle brands (Buick and Mercury) into fine premium brands while Cadillac and Lincoln become the finest.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I think we should start a discussion about what luxury really is and why BMW and Mercedes-Benz aren't luxury brands but premium.

By that logic, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and the exotic brands are the only genuine luxury car brands left on this planet.

I've always felt that GM and Ford should turn their middle brands (Buick and Mercury) into fine premium brands while Cadillac and Lincoln become the finest.

tho if you do
please including pricing/ranges info - I'm vague on stuff-nobody-I-know can afford
actually
imho
price mgiht be the main criteria
and features/qualities(tangible&intangible) MERELY justify the price

·
Registered
428 Posts

I'm still waiting for the Duisenberg revival. Apparently nobody wants the challenge, they were the best luxury cars in the WORLD.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

tho if you do
please including pricing/ranges info - I'm vague on stuff-nobody-I-know can afford
actually
imho
price mgiht be the main criteria
and features/qualities(tangible&intangible) MERELY justify the price
Just a quick response.

It depends on size. If Rolls wanted to build a midsize sedan and coupe, it would still have a six-figure sticker (perhaps $160k)....... A compact Rolls could still command six-figure (or near) price tag.

Pricing also depends on whether or not the vehicles are hand-built...... You want to pay those folks very well. I think that's why Rolls-Royce charged close to double in the late 70s.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I'm still waiting for the Duisenberg revival. Apparently nobody wants the challenge, they were the best luxury cars in the WORLD.
It would be nice to see a proper Duesenberg revival. There's a site I found where an amateur designer came up with a very elegant design for a would-be revival. It would be impossible to come up with a good design using cues from the old ones without being too retro. It would've been nice if it was alive 20 more years.

If I had the power, I'd revive the whole Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg company.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
^ I like the way you phrased that post, germeezy

but...
( maybe cuz there's nothing to "imagine", those brands ARE doing that apparently )
...I feel like you left out finishing with an insightful conclusion

perhaps an adage/proverb that Lincoln could profit from?
Lincoln could definitely learn from the mistakes made by Tier 1 luxury manufacturers, and have absolute clarity with their brand focus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts