Ford Inside News banner

Mercedes widens sales lead on CLA demand

9K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Iiari 
#1 ·
Mercedes widens 2013 U.S. premium sales lead on CLA demand
Automotive News

October 2, 2013 06:01 CET

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- Mercedes-Benz sold more than 2,300 of its CLA compact coupes in its first week of availability in the United States, helping the brand post a 7 percent September gain and widen its U.S. premium-vehicle lead with rival BMW.

Mercedes also boosted E-class deliveries by 17 percent to 5,647 last month. In total, Mercedes sold 24,697 vehicles, according to a statement from parent company Daimler.

Deliveries for the BMW brand rose 8 percent in September from a year earlier to 23,568, helped by demand for its 7 series, whose deliveries more than tripled, and 5-series sedans, the automaker said.

The September results expanded Mercedes's lead for 2013 to 2,491 vehicles, 215,056 to 212,565, up from a margin of 1,362 through August. BMW has sold the most luxury vehicles in the U.S. the past two years. Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said in July he expected his company to come up short again in 2013.

Read More...

See less See more
#3 ·
Could this be another sign that a new compact Lincoln sedan is on the way?
This is the new battlefield for the luxury automakers: FWD compact luxury sedans. Mercedes-Benz hit first, and take the advantage. Lincoln preview the Concept C some years ago... if only they produce some kind of version of that car... Lincoln could be the first in that niche.
Now, Lincoln needs to make a better C compact car to compete with Mercedes-Benz, Audi and BMW...

#6 ·
Unfortunately for Lincoln the One Ford philosophy, and near CLA priced Titanium, and ST Fusion variants make a very hard case, and a thin pricing advantage for a Ford Focus based Lincoln which of course would need to be priced under the CLA. Mercedes has begun to follow BMW down the road of year round lease specials on all of its popular models. My only question is will the success of the CLA perhaps change the perception of the buyers it hopes to tempt with the new S Klasse?

#7 ·
Unfortunately for Lincoln the One Ford philosophy, and near CLA priced Titanium, and ST Fusion variants make a very hard case, and a thin pricing advantage for a Ford Focus based Lincoln which of course would need to be priced under the CLA. Mercedes has begun to follow BMW down the road of year round lease specials on all of its popular models...
All true.

I didn't like the CLA when I saw it at the auto shows, but on the road in the real world, it's by far the most attractive MB model on the market and given the pricing and real quality, they will sell a ton. If I were willing to buy German, it's the model I would select right now without question...

My question for Lincoln is will they match the German lease subsidizing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.