Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford's juggling of its two luxury brands Mercury and Lincoln has seen the Blue Oval attempting to figure out where to place them in the market--and while Lincoln will be going more upmarket, Mercury is expected to get rid of its larger models and focus on smaller mid-sized cars and crossovers.

Expected forthcoming decisions to get rid of large cars such as the Mercury Grand Marquis sedan and the Mercury Mountaineer SUV will be part of a larger Blue Oval strategy to make the company’s cars smaller and more fuel efficient.
More importantly, at least in terms of the company’s future viability, is that the consolidation of Mercury nameplates will see a greater preponderance of cars sitting on Ford's global platforms, which should be good for the Blue Oval’s bottom line.

With the Grand Marquis expected to be dumped in 2011 and the Mountaineer SUV disappearing a year earlier, Mercury will be able to focus on a new compact car based on the Ford Focus. The Mercury model will be sold as a four-door sedan and production is expected to begin by the end of 2010 or early 2011, reports Automotive News.

In 2013, Mercury's Milan mid-size vehicle will be moving on to Ford's global mid-size platform, which will also underpin the Ford Fusion, Ford Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ. This move should bring production costs down for Ford and also allow it to ship these products globally. Finally, Mercury will also be a getting a redesigned variant of the Mercury Mariner crossover at the end of 2011. This car is expected to sit on Ford's global small-car platform, which remains front-wheel-drive.

LINK

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
:rolleyes:

Ummmmm...really???? I doubt that this information is true. The next compact CUV (current Escape-Mariner) will be a Ford-Lincoln, not Ford-Mercury... The luxury compact based on the next Focus is a Lincoln ( C concept) , not a Mercury.
I hope Mercury will survive like a near-luxury line of cars and crossovers, but at this time i think that is not possible. Everything say Mercury will have no vehicles by 2013....

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ form Igor's 'recent' posts, I think he's busy with other things

&
- I'm sooo tired of the uncertainty surrounding Merc (due to the lack of official news)
- STILL believe that the "Small Merc Theorem" is temporary (just until Lincoln has gotten the **** out of Mercury's way)
&
- find it interesting that the 2010 Milan was made a bit shorter ovl -- maybe with the CD/D3.2-4 unification*, the Milan & the RotW/Euro Mazda6 (even shorter) will share more (the way I've been ranting for ;))&(no, that does not mean I support the "S.M.T." in any way shape or form :p)

* think I'll start calling this new platform the GMFA (Global Midsize F-Awd)
and maybe start calling GRwdP the GLMR "glamour" (Global Large/Mid Rwd) :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont think Lincoln C concept has gotten a green light. also did anyone catch on LLN they mention a Merc version of the Edge.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
REPORT: Ford to nix Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer

Anyone who actually wants a Ford Explorer Sport Trac had better go out and grab one now because they won't be around much longer. As production of the the current body-on-frame Explorer winds down in the coming months, the pickup bed version and the rebadged Mercury Mountaineer will breathe their last breath. Sometime in 2010 a new unibody Explorer based on the Flex/Taurus platform will debut and an open bed version will not be part of the lineup.

With total Explorer sales down to just 78,439 in 2008, including the Sport Trac, and those numbers down by half again this year, the number of Sport Tracs sold simply doesn't justify developing a new one. At its peak when Ford was moving some 400,000 Explorers annually, about 60,000 were Sport Tracs. This year the number is likely to be 10,000 or less.

Link...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Thanks for mentioning LeftlaneNews < Link. Saintl1

here's the paragraph with ONE Correction
"...Mercury managed to move just 10,596 UN-ADVERTISED Mountaineers last year. Essentially a rebadged version of the Explorer, the Mountaineer was conceived for the 1997 model year during the SUV boom in an effort to stretch automaker’s lineup. When the Mountaineer goes, Mercury will be left with just a trio of products: The aging Grand Marquis, the Mariner and the recently redesigned Milan. It is possible that Ford will create a version of the Edge/Lincoln MKZ for Mercury dealers to sell..."​

edit: iirc the Mountaineer actually has a different drivetrain from the Explorer (think one's Awd the other is 4wd)

&
re: the MotorAuthority piece:
"...Mercury will be able to focus on a new compact car based on the Ford Focus. The Mercury model will be sold as a four-door sedan and production is expected to begin by the end of 2010 or early 2011, reports Automotive News..."

I sure hope the FIRST Mercuocus gets intro'ed BEFORE the actual Ford Focus!!!!!!!!! ...ie Fall 2010

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Another slow news day!
yes
BUT... isn't it remarkably wonderful how the "Mystery of Mercury" can attract soooo much attention with
ABSOLUTE NO EFFORT :mad: on Ford's part? :rolleyes:

Just hope Fomoco doesn't get used to doing things this way re-:mad:

JUST THINK about the 'press' Merc will get WHEN Fomoco gets around (AT LOOOONG LAST) to DOING SomeThing for MERC?!?!?!?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mercury does cause a reaction in alot of people good and bad. I love all the supporters that have its back and focus on the future. if you read some of the posts from people on LLN or AB they are so ignorant it makes me thank god i never signed up to post a reply on there. thier posters dont even keep up with news, they all come back with bring european fords as mercuries and mercury is dead period.

People cannot deny that Mercury was a great marque at one time, i know things dont look great right now with two models being axed and the last of the "old" mercury heading out in 2011 but you have to think about it as an upcoming resurgence of products hopefully.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...if you read some of the posts from people on LLN or AB they are so ignorant it makes me thank god i never signed up to post a reply on there...
DITTO!
&
here's a couple old graphics I modded &made back in 2006 during a rash of trolls on another forum

(( one has to remember that Natasha then said, "Wait, Boris. There are Two More words..." ))

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I just don't have the time, patience, energy, throughput to respond to GMI's threads lately (or even read them as much as I'd like)
so
Here's my Merc reply(ies)
maybe someone else with "dual-citizenship" here could let them know ;)

----------------------------------

1. MotorAuthority: "Ford's juggling of its two luxury brands Mercury and Lincoln has seen the Blue Oval attempting to figure out where to place them in the market"

CRAP -- we haven't SEEN Fomoco do ANYTHING with Merc YET... ...and Lincoln sure doesn't seem like it's "hunting&pecking" for an identity anymore to me!!!

---------------------------------

2. Nadepalma: "So for the forseeable future we're looking at a 3 car lineup: Mariner, Milan and a C-Segment product.." &
thomascolo: "cough...Cougar...Cough"

There WILL be more than one C3 Merc - definitely!
since the Mariner will be C3 too QED. List:
- Mercuocus
- Whitespace Hybrid/BEV/Extenz
- Mariner-ish something(s) -- pick 2 --2 row, 3 row, coupe, lifestyle trucklet
- SPHINX (I have DECIDED!!!!) there shall be ONE Cougar replacement/sportmodel
not Capri
not Cougar (sorry)
it shall be a Fwd(revoknuckle) &MAYBE Awd ....larger than Focus, but not that much - say half way to the NEXT Milan... Nuclear Bomb of a Car :) :D :) :D
And it will be based on the Whitespace but with EB-able petrolgas engines only

----------------------------------

3. Nadepalma & others: A Lincoln Entry-Level SUV/the next Mercury Mariner???

the MKG (née KuGa) will be extremely car-like with a swoopier rear end than most 5 doors
IF a same size Mariner appears, it will STILL be "different enough".
& NO, Lincoln won't get anything smaller than the MKG in the next 6-9 years!!! (by the end of which time,
Merc will be moving towards a full lineup once again :) ...the overlap with a not-LUX-enuf Lincoln will be ancient history! )&(then finally a 2017 COUGAR!!!!!!!!)

--------------------------------

4. GregBurr: "
wescoent said:
... the only theoretical overlap in the showroom would be the MKZ/Milan, but for the next generation, the two will be far more significantly differentiated than now.QUOTE]
Any idea on how that will be done?

Oo Oo, me me!
(Not as certain as the above but)
look at the two kinds of Mazda6's RofWvsU.S. = QED

--------------------------------------

drat - ran out of oomph to read'n'respond any further
so
one last prognostication
In recent posts we seen talk about Fiesta-based coupes...
FOR MERC:
...anyone ever notice how close (working from the sphinx angle) the names Iosis and Isis are?
hmmm?
and wouldn't Isis fit really well with Merc's current internet-image? for a near-term attempt?

ps: there IS more

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It does seem that Mercury will have a sparse lineup, but if they offer really unique and upscale styling compared to Ford, they will be on more people's shopping lists for premium vehicles. Give them a few exclusive options, performance handling and a small bump in HP, and they will hold up their end of the Lincoln/Mercury brand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Sport Trac doesn't sell anymore because Ford ruined it. They took the original Sport Trac, which sold like crazy, and turned it into and ugly tank that drinks gas. In fact they made the vehicle so heavy after it was removed from the Ranger frame they had to add a V8 just to move the thing. Poor engineering is what killed the Sport Trak, and the Explorer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Sport Trac doesn't sell anymore because Ford ruined it. They took the original Sport Trac, which sold like crazy, and turned it into and ugly tank that drinks gas. In fact they made the vehicle so heavy after it was removed from the Ranger frame they had to add a V8 just to move the thing. Poor engineering is what killed the Sport Trak, and the Explorer.
No kidding. Full-size truck gas mileage...virtually no cargo space. I looked at one. Not bad, but I voted with my money and bought a full-size truck.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No kidding. Full-size truck gas mileage...virtually no cargo space. I looked at one. Not bad, but I voted with my money and bought a full-size truck.
Yes, the sporttrac cannot compete with the F150.. in price and options, and bang for buck..

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The Mercury Edge was canceled way back.
yeahBUT
maybe they're not talking about that^ but something new?

I wonder if they made a Milan 5 door

Would they or Wouldn't count it as another model
IF they don't then it would boost "MILAN" sales
and mean that the overall count of "3 models" was kinda only sorta correct

edit
and if they did the same with the new C3** and also multiple Mariners. . .
it COULD be 3 "series" instead :) :) :)

** the FIRST Merc one is codenamed C557 per TurckTrend.com

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeahBUT
maybe they're not talking about that^ but something new?

I wonder if they made a Milan 5 door

Would they or Wouldn't count it as another model
IF they don't then it would boost "MILAN" sales
and mean that the overall count of "3 models" was kinda only sorta correct

edit
and if they did the same with the new C3** and also multiple Mariners. . .
it COULD be 3 "series" instead :) :) :)

** the FIRST Merc one is codenamed C557 per TurckTrend.com
I do not know why but that chop reminds me of the T-Rex..
I hope it would be better in the fresh

1 - 20 of 32 Posts