Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When the lifeboat is sinking, only one option remains: Throw the dead weight overboard, or all will drown. That’s the cruel choice facing Ford, a company whose leaking sales and too-casual rescue attempts could threaten the entire company. That dead weight is Mercury.

Mercury is the Abe Vigoda of automobiles, a brand many are surprised to learn is still around. It’s breathing, but on life support. Mercury sales have plummeted 60 percent over a decade, from 438,000 in 1999 to just 168,000 last year. Yet Ford and CEO Alan Mulally — ostensibly hired to make the tough calls that the Ford family was too squeamish to make — continues to cling to Mercury.

For years I’ve argued that Ford needs to use it or lose it. Give Mercury the cars it needs to compete, or end the charade and move on. At Chrysler, new Vice Chairman Jim Press, the former high-ranking Toyota exec, is ready to do the dirty work. He’s been streamlining by eliminating redundant models, putting Chrysler on the road to becoming a smaller but more profitable company.

Ford has rightly rid itself of Aston Martin, whose glorious cars did nothing for the bottom line. India’s Tata recently closed a deal to buy Ford’s Jaguar and Land Rover units, two more British luxury brands whose pedigrees can no longer make up for billions in losses.

continue at the link

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
we all know what happened when GM and Chryler killed divisions, they lost market share

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
These negative articles always state that money could be saved by killing Mercury...show me how. Give me some hard numbers that can be weighed against the sales that will be lost not just for the lack of Mercury, but for the shared showroom traffic it brings to Lincoln. Ford is cutting dealers in areas that have too many to help raise the sales per dealership. This would be the opposite, leaving Lincoln as the only brand for many dealers in towns that only have one dealership.

FMC is really working on getting the Ford and Lincoln divisions shored up now. Mercury may stay much as it is now for a couple more years, but when Ford starts to make profits again...I see them adding more versions of Ford based vehicles (Focus, Verve, Mustang) with more noticably altered sheetmetal, slightly better HP, and more premium optional interiors.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think that the deparure of Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston MArtin should free enough cash to make Mercury viable. I voted NO.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Are something wrong with American car companys. Japanese like Honda, Toyota and Nissan are creating new brands ( Acura, Lexus and Scion, Infiniti ). Inclusive, Korean are playing with that idea too ( Hyundai will have an almost independent brand with the upcoming Genesis family of RWD cars).

Why Ford must kill Mercury???????? Is a wrong idea. The correct way is fix Lincoln, and then take Marcury and give it the rigth cars ( maybe 3 cars and 2 crossover) and try to make profits with them. Those cars and crossover must be an upgraded Ford cars. What's wrong with put a bigger engine , more luxury and some unique features in a Ford and call it Mercury????? Toyota do it !!!! Or do you think a Lexus cars are made for extraterrestials ?????

Mercury must be alive.... when Ford will be on track again, will need 3 brands: basic, upscale and near-luxury brands: Ford, Mercury and Lincoln.

Ford's executives must be thinking rigth now how to revive this marque. Here some ideas:

Next Focus version
Next Mondeo-Fusion version
S-max, rebadged Mercury
Cougar Mustang-based
Next Ford RWD big car version
Next ExplorerAmerica version
Kuga rebadged Mercury

Thanks

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Mercury Rising... FORD FALLING!!! ...according to all sources....

OY!
must be that time of the month for the bloggers...

((Defensive evil-;) & Offensive :p parts omitted - we rejoin 2b2 towards the end of his rant as he's winding down ))

...in the not too distant future, Ford's gonna hafta concentrate on their afFORDable side
and let the IDEAL Brand (///) flow out of the dk.blue shadows and
become the aspirational-yet-attainable BestCarsPeriod that they were always meant to be

just a matter of time

& suit-spin

could 'They' do otherwise?
sure... 'They' could all LOSE THEIR MINDS!
but I don't believe 'They' ALL will
so

just a matter of time

until

YOU gotta put Mercury on Your list
;)

(and now to go update Mission: MERCURY!...)
OH BOY! 8-D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why would Ford want to kill Mercury? Alan seems to think killing and selling is his ticket to a better night sleep
Maybe Ford isn't killing Mercury!

Ford Motor Company

Ford also began their turnaround saddled with too many brands, too many models, and too many dealers, but unlike GM, they did not attempt to make sense of the mess; instead they set out to simplify their business. With the hiring of Mulally in 2006, Ford Motor Company re-focused on the first word of its name: Ford. The Ford brand not only accounts for the lion’s share of the sales and revenue, but is also the key image-maker for the company. As such, Mulally declared the revival and revitalization of a strong global Ford brand the key priority. With this mindset everything else became secondary. Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover were sold so Ford does not have to spend time and energy worrying about them. Volvo is being pushed aside to a semi-independent Mazda-like status.

In the meantime, every part of Ford is becoming global: product development, purchasing, manufacturing, quality control, and marketing. Ford’s local chiefs are increasingly responsible for only market research, communication with dealers, and oversight of local personnel. In light of this new structure, Ford is also paring down its models and architectures and unifying similar vehicles globally. Within five years our Fiesta and Focus will be virtually identical to the Fiesta and Focus anywhere else in the world, and our Fusion will be a re-named Mondeo. Ford will eliminate its array of several locally-built small trucks into a single one, and eliminate many of the locally-developed models. All this reorganization also aims to eliminate duplicate staffing, and duplicate processes, creating one single, centrally managed global company.

The only anomaly to this system is in North America, where Lincoln and Mercury continue to exist as off-shoots of the Ford brand. Lincoln was made into a second corporate priority – being groomed for a targeted Buick-style global roll-out. Mercury continues merely surviving, relegated to the back burner for now, waiting for its chance to shine. According to internal sources, that time will come within four years, when Ford and Lincoln are stabilized and can function on cruise control.

Overall, Ford is very closely following Mulally’s “One Ford” mantra and globalizing every department. There is no more local product development, no more local manufacturing, no more local purchasing – all these functions were relegated to global-level departments that manage all the local branches of these functions.

http://www.autosavant.net/2008/04/story-of-three-turnarounds.html

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The Key to GM's global success has always been the multiple brand strategy. Even Toyota has been forced into that mode. You know, Isuzu, Subaru, Lexus, Scion, Hino, Diahatsu..

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think Cool Daddy hit the nail on the head. Ford must work on their easiest brands to fix; Ford and Lincoln. These brands are their most expensive and least expensive vehicles on their tables.
Mercury soon will make a revival and we will soon see its renaissance quite soon. We just need to learn a little patience and sit back to watch Fords' new history revival in the making.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Mercury Being Ignored . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

in an inter(net)view with CNBC's Phil LeBeau just the other day,
Mr. Mulally again said Volvo is not for sale and Fomoco is still dedicated to Mercury
video linkage
(yes, Mr.LeB did press Mr.M. gently on those points)

Of course we could append the words "for now" but ...

anyway, imho/agree^^
Good post, Cool Daddy!! (WELCOME! &)

tho I think that Ford and Lincoln are the harder brands for Fomoco to fix
- Lincoln because the Lux segment is the most-demanding/least-forgiving, and
- Ford due to its size and its loyal fans with ingrained ideas about what to expect.
plus
in recent times, imho, both Ford and Lincoln have been "trying to be Mercury":
- Ford by trying to compete with the imports' features/opts/pkgs, and
- Lincoln by not competing .period. < thank god that's over
(so/tho Do completely agree F & L need the attention first ...just not Exclusively)

We can see the start of Lincoln moving back up-market,
but I'm not sure Ford has decided that the "bit nicer than" category is rightfully Mercury's yet.
BUT IT IS

...will take a considerable emotional adjustment imho,
for Ford to admit to the HALF MILLION yearly sales (at least!) that Mercury wants to provide
and to support that sales potential with products...

but Imho < all I've got to go on for now
Eventually (I've got believe) that IS ThePlan
cuz
the alternative (imho) is losing those 500,000 sales per year
which
they've been doing a darn good job of so far :(

((wish someone at Ford was a gardener
then they'd know
that even if some plants need more attention
you Don't Stop 'Watering' another
just because of its amazing resiliency def.1))
((by comparison F & L -see defintion2- are rather rigid imho))

ps to YellowZx5
you still planning on taking some interior pix of your Milan???

·
Registered
919 Posts
I deffinately will be now that the weather is cooperating and I cleaned my car out for the spring. Just to remind you that the car has a Special Spring 2007 Package and not the Milan Appearance Package. If my friend is reading this, and he knows who he is, then correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts