Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By The Associated Press
Japan's Toyota Motor (TM, news, msgs) won top honors in eight categories of a closely watched vehicle dependability study, more than any other company, while mainstream brands closed in on luxury nameplates, J.D. Power and Associates said.
Lexus, Toyota's luxury brand, was the top-ranked nameplate for the 12th consecutive year. It was followed by Ford Motor's (F, news, msgs) Mercury and General Motors' (GM, news, msgs) Buick and Cadillac.

Last-place Land Rover, which is owned by Ford, lagged far behind the second-to-last brand, Saab, which is owned by GM. Land Rover owners reported 438 problems per 100 vehicles, while Saab owners reported 326. Focus on 3-year-old vehicles

For the study, Westlake Village, Calif.-based J.D. Power questions owners of 3-year-old vehicles about problems they are experiencing. This year's survey questioned 47,620 original owners of 2003 model-year cars and trucks.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/MostDependableCar.aspx

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Funny how the best brand in reliability seems to be doing the worst, while the worst is one of the better performers.

Hopefully this

will help the fortunes of Mercury
This is one sweet ride. I Think if I was in the market this might win me over intead of Saturn Aura becouse of Navigation and AWD.
Even Avalon does not offer AWD

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's nice to see that three of the top five are domestic brands. I also like seeing Ford ahead of Chevy, although I want both to do well. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like BMW really got their act together after the horrible 7-series launch in '02. Too bad about Mercury...oh well, people will buy domestics again once their awful, horrible quality improves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'd love to know what the criteria are. Mercurys are built in the same buildings, by the same people, with the same parts as Fords (at least the same parts that might be the cause of a complaint), and yet they have far fewer complaints.

Personally, I feel the numbers for all makes are skewed a bit because they don't take into consideration the number of vehicles involved. There are far more "Fords" built and sold than "Mercurys". Also, does this have anything to do with the fact that there are no "Mercury" trucks, aside from Mountaineer? Is it the trucks that are more problematic and effect the Ford numbers?

Does JD Power ever break these things down to individual nameplates?

Oh, and high everyone. First post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been quite happy with my Grand Marquis.

It was a former Hertz rental car, however it only had 13,000 miles on it when I purchased it.

I have about 21,000 on it now, and just a radio exchange was needed as the CD player flipped out.

Fuel economy hit with e85 is a little steep, as I get only about 12 miles to the gallon in town.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I forgot to add that I've owned 2 used Toyota Avalon sedans, previously to buying my Grand Marquis. They were OK cars, however they were terribly expensive to repair, and their dealers are very arrogant and impersonal.
After spending nearly $3000 to repair the engine on my last Avalon, I decided to look for an old fashioned American car. The Grand Marquis fits the bill for me, and it cost me much less than what I could buy a decent low mileage Avalon for.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been quite happy with my Grand Marquis.

It was a former Hertz rental car, however it only had 13,000 miles on it when I purchased it.

I have about 21,000 on it now, and just a radio exchange was needed as the CD player flipped out.

Fuel economy hit with e85 is a little steep, as I get only about 12 miles to the gallon in town.
How much did you spend on it. I would have taken the Marauder if I were ya

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much did you spend on it. I would have taken the Marauder if I were ya

I paid $15,800, less actually with my trade in.

I don't like the Maruader, as I wanted a column shifter again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts