Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was wondering, if doen the road, Ford were to re-launch the Mercury brand, what should it be? Maybe after Ford and Lincoln get where they want to be, could there be a market for a new Mercury? If so, what type of brand? Obviously re-badged Fords did not work out well, but there are other possibilities. If not, why? I am NOT posting this to cause arguements or heated debates, just to see if anyone has any creative ideas. and hey, if anyone has ideas for Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or Plymouhth, feel free! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think Mercury could come back, and give a "premium sport-Ford" brand a place. By then, Lincoln will need to be upmarket...which is where it supposedly wants to be.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think Mercury could come back, and give a "premium sport-Ford" brand a place. By then, Lincoln will need to be upmarket...which is where it supposedly wants to be.
I hope so. Once Lincoln moves up, Mercury could offer vehicles made on Ford platforms, but with unique style and performance. I'd like to see them even offer slightly stretched Ford platforms like they did in the 60's to differentiate them even better. Maybe a sport wagon and a convertible or two thrown in.

·
Registered
607 Posts
While I generally don't care for alphanumeric names, I can see a Mercury revival for a fleet of high performance sports coupes, sedans, and convertibles using the old XR prefix followed by a single digit to signify where it falls in the fleet. The compact sedan would be the XR-3 and the compact coupe and convertible would be the XR-4. The midsize sedan would be the XR-5 and the coupe the XR-6. The midsize coupe and convrtible would be the XR-7. The large sedan would be the XR-8. All would be RWD with optional AWD. Ecoboost engines would be the only plants available.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
DON'T BE DISCOURAGED by GRINCHES, PTK!

Ok, so I was wondering...
...could there be a market for a new Mercury?...
It’s not a journey. Every journey ends, but we go on. The world turns and we turn with it. Plans disappear. Dreams take over. Yet wherever I go, there you are. My luck, my fate, my fortune. MERCURY. It's inevitable.

MMXX
Mission2020: The RETURN of MERCURY!
INEVITABLE!!!
Merc = The World's MOST PERFECT Brand

and.....................................................................

from elsewhere today
THE_Shmoderator said:
Eh, I don't really care if Lincoln outsells Cadillac. I doubt Lincoln cares either. Nor should they. If they develop a small group of sustainable vehicles that sell at a premium and at as good or a better profit margin than their Ford stablemates, then the division is doing its job.

Total sales don't matter.
Market share doesn't matter.
Good reviews don't matter.

Does the brand continue to bring in money that the Ford brand alone could not? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then everything else is irrelevant. We'll see what that answer is in the coming years.
quote=me
not disagreeing with ^this^ specifically
just
imho, *IF* this can be justifiably applied to Lincoln;
wish it had been & WILL BE equally applied to MERCURY

and.....................................................................

imho Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or Plymouth are NOT INEVITABLE and much more complex/complicated
+
of course
they have LESS to Offer than Merc.
Combining the best of Pontiac+Olds+Buick+Saturn still doesn't equal Mercury's potential;
imho.
+
imho/tho
Cadillac has become the Best Dang PONTIACS ever built!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not a chance, and no reason to either.................

Look at all the trouble GM has, trying to split the hair that is; Chevy/Buick/Cadillac.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's because Chevy represents value and performance, Buick near luxury, and Cadillac near luxury and luxury. Ford could represent value with a few FWD performance models (ST, SHO, etc.) along with the Mustang, Mercury could be all out RWD performance, and Lincoln could be near luxury and luxury.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That's because Chevy represents value and performance, Buick near luxury, and Cadillac near luxury and luxury. Ford could represent value with a few FWD performance models (ST, SHO, etc.) along with the Mustang, Mercury could be all out RWD performance, and Lincoln could be near luxury and luxury.
You could go further and bring back Edsel to be the all electric brand. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. There is literally nothing being done by Ford at this time that requires a second brand, Lincoln included, so why waste the extra money in promoting additional brands. Lincoln makes sense only in that they are attempting to rebuild it to the point where it will truly be unique and offer that which a Ford brand could not.

GM is having the same issues, the Impala is every bit as good as the LaCross. Buick will in time also be made redundant with only its popularity in China keeping it alive.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...There is literally nothing being done by Ford at this time that requires a second brand, Lincoln included, so why waste the extra money in promoting additional brands...
& There is literally nothing being said by anyone at this time about bringing back Mercury NOW
however
along the lines of those saying Lincoln critique-ers are doing it out of love/desire;
imho
anyone who truly has FAITH in Lincoln's potential, practically has to see the benefit of The (eventual) RETURN of MERCURY ... inevitable!!!
((& re: Edsel
a 3 year lifespan has No relation to a 70 (SEVENTY!) year heritage))

and.......................

Not a chance, and no reason to either.................

Look at all the trouble GM has, trying to split the hair that is; Chevy/Buick/Cadillac.
^

I have mixed feelings about this^
really would prefer to see the top LincStang, Continental, and Navi/Aviator have 700hp = 4.0/5.0v8EB + electrics for AWD

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
from elsewhere today

Quote Originally Posted by THE_Shmoderator

Eh, I don't really care if Lincoln outsells Cadillac. I doubt Lincoln cares either. Nor should they. If they develop a small group of sustainable vehicles that sell at a premium and at as good or a better profit margin than their Ford stablemates, then the division is doing its job.

Total sales don't matter.
Market share doesn't matter.
Good reviews don't matter.

Does the brand continue to bring in money that the Ford brand alone could not? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then everything else is irrelevant. We'll see what that answer is in the coming years.
If all that matters is profit, or return of investment, then why does Ford keep Europe going?
It is because Ford knows that in a few years, Europe can be profitable again.

Ford needs to give Lincoln a REAL chance, and not give a lick about profit for the next four or five years. Lincoln needs to offer unique and exclusive vehicles as soon as they can, and figure out how to make a profit later. Does anyone really want to buy a Lincoln that is a Ford with simulated luxury at a bloated price to make a 'proper' profit?
All the slick advertisements and dealership coddling won't make up for the cars Ford is trying to pass off as Lincolns, that should really be Mercurys.
Oh, and Lincoln does not need to offer exactly what Germany and Cadillac offers, and still be luxury. It needs to pave the way to a new definition of a luxury vehicle, and invest in what truly makes a difference for their customers.
Yes, Mercury can make a comeback, but only if Lincoln stops being a 3/4 luxury company.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
With the Ford brand moving more upscale, it has filled the space that Mercury held. With Lincoln working the midlevel luxury market and moving up in that space.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
With the Ford brand moving more upscale, it has filled the space that Mercury held. With Lincoln working the midlevel luxury market and moving up in that space.
The problem with Ford moving upscale it hurts Lincoln's uniqueness. I said it once and I will say it again, there is NO reason why a Ford should have a heated steering wheel or heated rear seats or a power rear sun shade... those should all be LINCOLN features. The MKS does not have much over the Taurus except a double panel moon roof and Lincoln Drive Control but still costs 10k more... are those features worth 10k?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The problem with Ford moving upscale it hurts Lincoln's uniqueness. I said it once and I will say it again, there is NO reason why a Ford should have a heated steering wheel or heated rear seats or a power rear sun shade... those should all be LINCOLN features. The MKS does not have much over the Taurus except a double panel moon roof and Lincoln Drive Control but still costs 10k more... are those features worth 10k?
Why dumb down the Ford brand when Lincoln has the ability to offer more standard and optional features?

Brands advance over time...... Where were you when Ford came out with leather seats, sunroofs, heated and cooled seats, etc.?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
When those features exist in the same segment on a Toyota, Nissan, VW, or a Hyundai then the Ford must also be competitive. A Ford cannot be dumbed down in comparison to its competition in order to protect Lincoln. Lincoln must excel to such a level that Ford, and by extension Toyota, Nissan, VW, and Hyundai are not a threat. Ford/Lincoln cannot set the market, the market sets the expectations and it is Ford's job to meet them, or in Lincoln's case, exceed them.

If you think the overlap between Ford and Lincoln it to large then imagine the clusterf'ck that would exist when they try to wedge Mercury in between them. The simple existence of Mercury is no guarantee that Lincoln's move upward will be either more successful nor faster.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Why dumb down the Ford brand when Lincoln has the ability to offer more standard and optional features?

Brands advance over time...... Where were you when Ford came out with leather seats, sunroofs, heated and cooled seats, etc.?
I am not saying they need to dumb down the brand but what I am saying is they shouldn't offer the SAME EXACT FEATURES. What is the point of Ford offering the SAME features as Lincoln and offering at a 10k discount.

Example:
Self parking is a GREAT example of a feature that should be Lincoln only
The hidden keyless entry keypad should be Lincoln only
Power Running boards on the Navigator should have been exclusive
I could go on with more.

I have no problem with Ford getting some of these features over time but first EVERY Lincoln should get these features and have them for a while before Ford starts getting them.

The only feature Lincoln has that is exclusive right now is the Panoramic sunroof which is only on the MKZ and Lincoln Drive Control which is on the MKZ, MKS, and MKT.

Name me 15 exclusive features on the MKZ that the Fusion doesn't have and tell me if that justifies the price bump same with the MKS and the Taurus same with the MKT and Flex... even worse with the Expedition and Navigator.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts