Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this doesn't come near to the idea but;
inspired by Topnotch (@ the Mustang Source - Thanks, JS!!)
as well as "our guy's" Capris & miniStangs...
Mercury Cimba

103.9 wlb - 176.7 ovl - 55.5 ht. (as it turned out in the chop)​

The idea started after doing my last XR6 chop, the Mercatini...
"XR6" is what I call my Mercury sports/y cars that use the 3.5 v6
(trying to make them distinct from & non-competitive with the Mustang).
Usually I imagine them being built on a stretched Mazda RX-8 platform.

A major goal of using just one engine is that all the components could be very finely tuned to that specific weight & without the need for any extra room for larger engines - thankfully EcoBoost makes this doable.

Cimba is a new interpretation of my Focus-based Milanetto's sport version, the XR3 (even More distinct & non-competing) & offering the amazing comfort for 4 'real' adults found in its bottom-donor.
"Cimba" is meant to continue the C-names of previous sporty Mercs with an allusion to a famous baby cat (too cutesy?).

Here the C2 platform is converted to RWD (it IS Awd-capable, no?)
& the only engine is the 2.5 4cyl, in naturally-aspirated, single turbo, & twin-turbo -
yielding 180, 240, & 300hp respectively.

The C2 is used because a factory will be building it & the Cimba/XR3 would go down the same assembly line as the nextgen Focii.

In addition to its all-new/diff. bodywork, the Cimba would come in just One deluxe trim. Only options/choices are color, cloth/leather, & engine (& maybe a moonroof)... at least until Fomoco develops the Snap'n'Lock dealer-installable extras that I hope they're planning.
(wonder if the non-shared panels could be made from composites/plastic?)

back to the chop:
I wanted to to create a very curvaceous, slinky upper body with a simple tho-aerodynamic lower -- think race cars, the bottoms aren't much more than pointy boxes. (links: top, bottom)

Just did a side view cuz it's easiest. In addition to the 2 donor cars (shown below),
- the front would mix Messenger & the original Cougar with current Mercury themes &
- possibly the hood would feature a scoop+logo like the Mercatini, which is meant to update the early-mid 50's Merc styling
- the door is a 2-stage slider, maybe power-assisted, where it would open far enough for the front passenger/driver with a detent or stop at that point and slide all the back for rear access upon further 'user input'. (yeah, the chop's proportions need work...)
- the roof/C-pillar is mainly original Cougar, and Marauder for the rear window's tunnel effect (tho I have an alternate idea that could be used for a hatch &or super-BAMR version, aka Capri)

Hope these donor pix will give a better idea of the feeling for the top surfacing

Comments appreciated!
&
if anyone wants to add their XR3/little-cat, feel free :)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mercury XR3: Cimba ...redux :)

inspired by seeing the MB SLS-AMG chops in artandcolour's Potpourri thread,
here's a new C3-based Çimba

this one is supposed to be a 'go-kart' that seats 4 adult-sized (if not quite "mature" ;)) people
with maybe 4 drivetrains
2.5 EB = 300hp (awd)
2.0 EB = 230hp
1.6 EB = 170hp (fwd)
and a hybrid with about 200hp

although I stayed close to MB's grille by borrowing from a 1949 Mercury/Ford found at JalopyJournal,
Think I'd actually prefer a Milan-ish waterfall grille (just don't have the patience to do one like that...
...volunteers?)
AND
- would be willing to give up my one-Big-sliding-door* for RX-8/Continental style '2+2' doors
- would love if someone else turned it into either a convertible/coupe-cabrio OR
- gave it a mega-BAMR that would tuck away between the C-pillars' buttresses = CAPRI

* actually sliding/pantograph

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Make that last one a bit shorter and I'd like it 2b2.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i love it! i REALLY love the grille-it's classic, it's contemporary, it's a great update to the current waterfall. i really like the grillebar with the vertical slits evocative of the 'lead sled' Mercurys.

i'm spacing on BAMR though. not sure what that means, but i've had the flu lately so maybe my brain cells are still on leave....

how'd you come up with the name?

i also get into how we all 'feed' off each other, exactly how artists should communicate and create.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS for the comments, guys!

^^ Rmc, I left the overall 'size' of the original
but when done I thought it looked more C-size, which is what I wanted
about the measurements I mentioned in the first post.

^ art,
BAMR is what the guys on the assembly line call the larger-than-usual Vista Roof™ (or so I've heard) it stands for Big Ass MoonRoof ;)

for the name, I wanted to keep only "M" or "C" names for Merc, with "C" used mainly for sporty models;
so used the soft "C" sound (occasionally shown with a cedilla) to adapt a somewhat famous baby Cat's name...
< click for source
...since the Çimba would be smaller than a full-grown COUGAR :)

glad you also get off on mental synergy -- I've gotten Lots of inspiration from You and Our-&-other artists

ps
now that you're feeling better, hope you will take up that buttress+blackout-panel suggestion in your Potpourri thread

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
^^ Rmc, I left the overall 'size' of the original
but when done I thought it looked more C-size, which is what I wanted
about the measurements I mentioned in the first post.
Well, you should IMO add an extra suicide door cutline or something, because that door looks way too long for my liking, anyway.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Mercury XR3: Cimba ...redux :)

Well, you should IMO add an extra suicide door cutline or something, because that door looks way too long for my liking, anyway.
yeahbut, Rmc
...volunteers?)
AND
- would be willing to give up my one-Big-sliding-door* for RX-8/Continental style '2+2' doors
- would love if someone else turned it into either a convertible/coupe-cabrio OR
- gave it a mega-BAMR that would tuck away between the C-pillars' buttresses = CAPRI

* actually sliding/pantograph
;)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Re: Mercury XR3: Cimba ...redux :)

yeahbut, Rmc;)

Oops, guess that's what happens when I don't read the whole post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts