Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

’10 Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion set new standard for hybrids

By MARK PHELAN • FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC • January 7, 2009

The 2010 Mercury Milan hybrid is an outstanding and important car.
...The 2010 Mercury Milan and Ford Fusion hybrid midsize sedans are the first of a new generation of hybrids that will hit the road this year. They set the bar high for other eagerly awaited hybrids...

...Why then, are the 2010 Milan and Fusion hybrids such a big deal?

Because, for the moment at least, they vault Ford Motor Co. to the forefront of hybrid technology, easily topping the fuel economy of competitive midsize hybrid versions of the Toyota Camry and Chevy Malibu.

...The Milan and Fusion hybrids generate 191 total horsepower from a 156-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and electric motor. That power is translated to the front wheels through a smooth and effective continuously variable transmission.

The system simply smokes the competition, with eye-popping EPA fuel economy ratings of 41 m.p.g. in the city and 36 m.p.g. on the highway. That compares with
33 m.p.g. city/34 m.p.g. highway for the Camry hybrid,
35 m.p.g. city/33 m.p.g. highway for the Altima hybrid,
26 m.p.g. city/34 m.p.g. highway for the Malibu and Aura hybrids.

Ford’s new hybrid powertrain also provides enough power to run in all-electric mode at speeds up to 47 m.p.h. That’s nearly twice as fast as the Camry and Altima, while the Malibu and Aura — so-called mild hybrids — lack the power for electric-only operation.

Using the accelerator judiciously, I had no trouble driving the Milan on electricity alone at speeds up to about 44 m.p.h. Electric drive also kicked in frequently while driving through neighborhoods and on major surface streets.

In my usual, always late for something mode, I got about 35 m.p.g. in a mix of fast city and highway driving. When I modified my driving style for the best fuel economy I could get without making other drivers crazy, the Milan beat the EPA figure with 42 to 43 m.p.g. in city driving...

...The Milan and Fusion hybrids get a unique and attractive instrument panel that features an LCD display that can be configured in a variety of ways to provide different levels of detail on how the hybrid system is working...

...You can change the display to show a bar graph that gives the same information, but the image of leaves growing or dying depending on how you drive is an amazingly effective piece of positive reinforcement.

Hybrid system aside, the Milan is a comfortable and enjoyable midsize sedan. The electric power steering provides good response and feedback, the ride is comfortable and there’s plenty of power on tap.

The hybrids get the same styling changes — a good-looking new hood, grille, headlights and taillights — as other 2010 Milans and Fusions. They also benefit from a welcome upgrade in interior materials that includes soft-touch covers for the dashboard and doors...

...It raises an important technology to a new level, and does it at an appealing price in an excellent car. It sets a new standard for overall excellence among hybrids.

--------------
sidebar:
2010 Mercury Milan hybrid
Rating: **** (out of four stars)
Reasons to buy: Fuel economy, technical sophistication, comfort.

**** Best in its class
*** Above average
** Competent

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
The BAS mild hybrid though good and matches highway numbers of the japanese does not play in this field really.
What Ford has achieved with these vehicles, is simply ground breaking. They should be the Sedan's. Denying them the award would be downright wrong.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I test drove the Fusion Hybrid this weekend. It drives much better than the Camry or Accord Hybrids I have driven in the past. There is no pulsations/power surge feelings you get with the Japanese vehicles, transitions are completely seemless.
The sitting position is very close to the Malibu I test drove (LTZ V6) and the technology is way cool.

The view from the Cabin is not as Airly as a Camry, but visibility is exellent nevertheless.
I would say the interior feel from the driver position was probably benchmarked aganist the Malibu.

That said, the Engine in 4 banger mode could be quieter, but then it helps to know when you are in gasoline.
The Car keeps in electric mode till 40 MPH, impressive, and transitions into a dual motor as it climbs into higher speed...
I would change the info cluster into a more conventional one, (Think of Vue or Accord Hybrid) but that said, I guess one could get used to it.

Interior materials are not very nice, but then again, Camry is not nice either.. I guess after sitting in more expensive car (flex) I was bound to be underwhelmed..

·
Registered
919 Posts
I test drove the Fusion Hybrid this weekend. It drives much better than the Camry or Accord Hybrids I have driven in the past. There is no pulsations/power surge feelings you get with the Japanese vehicles, transitions are completely seemless.
The sitting position is very close to the Malibu I test drove (LTZ V6) and the technology is way cool.

The view from the Cabin is not as Airly as a Camry, but visibility is exellent nevertheless.
I would say the interior feel from the driver position was probably benchmarked aganist the Malibu.

That said, the Engine in 4 banger mode could be quieter, but then it helps to know when you are in gasoline.
The Car keeps in electric mode till 40 MPH, impressive, and transitions into a dual motor as it climbs into higher speed...
I would change the info cluster into a more conventional one, (Think of Vue or Accord Hybrid) but that said, I guess one could get used to it.

Interior materials are not very nice, but then again, Camry is not nice either.. I guess after sitting in more expensive car (flex) I was bound to be underwhelmed..
I think if you drove the Milan Hybrid like I did around town, you would say differently about the interior quality. LMdealer let me drive one around for a bit and I was quite impressed that I have less than 1 year on my lease and he already knows the color I want. I brought the car to where I work, and I had a person stop and look at the car and was impressed with the car all together. I have yet to drive the Fusion hybrid, but when comparing a Fusion to a Milan I would have to say the Milan is a lot better "Styled" than the Fusion.

More reasons to buy a Milan than the Fusion......

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid/Mercury Milan Hybrid - BusinessWeek.com
August 25, 2009, 12:29PM EST
By Adam Aston

With its new Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids, Ford brings to market the best gas-electric hybrid cars yet
Editor's Rating:

The Good: Ford's midsize hybrid bests its overseas rivals with great engineering and 39 mpg overall mileage

The Bad: Trunk space is squeezed by the battery and there's no all-wheel-drive option

The Bottom Line: The best gas-electric hybrid yet

...(page 2 of 2)
Thanks to changes in the batteries' chemical recipe, they deliver more power and run cooler, obviating the need for a separate, bulky cooling system. The added juice lets the Fusion and Milan get up to 47 mph running solely on electricity. No other hybrid today can top 25 mph before switching on the gas engine. Total driving range is an impressive 700 miles...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good job Ford :) . The 2010 Mercury Milan looks way better than the 2010 Ford Fusion and this another reason to keep Mercury alive :) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts