Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Courtesy of: Engadget.com

MIT's electric vehicle prototype may be a long way off from being completed, but if we let that stop us from discussing EVs, we might never talk about them. The headline ambition of this project is a full recharge within 10 minutes, which would eliminate somewhere between four and ten hours of waiting. Speedwise, the Electric Vehicle Team is aiming for a 100 mph top speed from a 250-horsepower / 187 kilowatt AC induction motor, and a not unheard of 200-mile cruising range. To achieve their rapid juicing aim, the students will strap 7,905 lithium iron-phosphate cell batteries from A123Systems to a gutted 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid body. The batteries' low internal resistance is what makes things possible, but further hurdles, such as finding a sufficiently powerful energy source, would have to be overcome before any sort of widespread use may occur.

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/video-mit-working-on-rapid-recharging-for-electric-vehicles/

**I posted this because I thought it was different for MIT to take a Milan Hybrid body and replace it with their own**

There is a video on their website and after watching, Ford must have donated the Milan. Another reason how Ford is helping the environment.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the reason why I posted it. I never heard of using a Mercury, but this is the first year for a Mercury hybrid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts