Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
It almost looks exactly like the concept- a really good thing. Looks better than the STS interior too. Id like to sit in one when it comes out too see if it will be near Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Lexus for interior quality.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I see the Taurus instrument panel, I think Lincoln should have its own.

I think it looks like better materials than the 2007 STS, as for 2008, I am not soo sure Mr. B. R.
This is really not competing with the STS, its more going aganist the Lexus ES and Acura TL

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

I think it looks like better materials than the 2007 STS, as for 2008, I am not soo sure Mr. B. R.
This is really not competing with the STS, its more going aganist the Lexus ES and Acura TL

I would agree with the ES, but the TL!? I doubt VERY much if anyone would cross-shop this Lincoln with the Acura. The late-LS, maybe, but not this one. But the MKS may well make those Buick dealers that said "no thanks" to the Zeta based RWD sedan they were offered very sorry indeed. The MKS will, in my opinion, be a drag on the Lucerene. Thanks to these photos, we know the interior is far nicer.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember the MKS is big (see "Production MKS testing" thread for measurements).
ES is MKZ size and the TL is slightly/even smaller.

Here's a repost of my
enlarged CrossShopped List (if not direct competitors) in no particular order
Lurcerne & Avalon as said -- the MKS would offer more distinction
ES & MKZ -- more room, power, & the ES doesn't have Awd, does it?
M35,45/___ (the Q45 is on haitus, isn't it?)
A6/A8 -- size/price
LS/GS -- I'm starting to see the MKS as a combo of these 2, possibly offering the best of both
DTS (& the STS is being dropped) -- might be major source of conquest sales!
Acura (& Volvo!) -- don't offer a car this size... could the MKS define a new "premium size" class? *
300 -- other than Hemi(becoming a BAD Word) versions don't measure up
Pontiac G8? -- will it come close to the MKS's luxury?
MonteCarlo (gone) -- could the MKS become the next 'personal-luxury' car?

I'm not including MB/BMW due to $$$$$$, Rwd, & 'label buyers'.
Anyone else add on?

* I'm seeing the MKS more&more as a "white space" vehicle.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My understanding is that The MKS is a bigger car that goes against the likes of the STS. The MKZ is the one that competes with the ES, at least that is the way Ford has been marketing the MKZ.

G

·
This being a FWD based car will never compete well with GS, M45, STS or CTS, or E Class, its going to take sales away from the likes of Volvo and Lucerne

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
This being a FWD based car will never compete well with GS, M45, STS or CTS, or E Class, its going to take sales away from the likes of Volvo and Lucerne
Don't count on that. The car maybe based on a FWD platform but will only be sold as an AWD vehicle. Something that STS and CTS don't even offer.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I seem to recall (too lazy to look) that AWD costs thousands more from a base Caddy and adds hundreds of pounds too. The AWD for the MKS is better in both of those respects.

Also, I like the looks which is very close to concept and people need to remember that this is just an OK pic of a pre-production MKS taken through a closed glass window with horrible lighting and reflections. How can some of you be so critical and then compare it to the professionally photographed CTS <cough-cough-IGOR-COUGH>.

I thnk Lincoln has another hit on it's hands.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
OMG!! I stand corrected :eek: Have they sold any? (STSs) ;)

The AWD V6 was added in mid-'05 I believe because of the initial popularity (relative term) of the V8 AWD. I've never found a break down of AWD sales of the car, though. At this point, GM is happy with any sales of this car.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with Wingsnut (btw are you formerly-from-Autoweek? if so, hope you post more here!)

&
tho I'm pretty sure Sobe was being rhetorical,
STS has sold 8,091 ytd 2007 -VS- 9,884 for 2006-thru-May (link).
(other remarks deleted pre-posting - got too far into different categories to say more imho.)
&
Yeah, only brand I know of offhand that shows Awd sales info is BMW.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I must say...this is what I was hoping for! A high quality, uniquely American, luxury interior!

Did anyone else notice that the dash is covered in what appears to be stitched leather? What an elegant touch and definitely something not offered in the STS or even the ES. Very elegant and sophisticated without being too garish or austentacious! But that has always been what Lincoln is about...subtle, elegant, understated American Luxury...am I right?

With this interior, and the proper motivation...probably the 3.7L Twin-Force, then I feel the MKS will do a magnificent job of complimenting the MKX and the MKZ and give Lincoln a much needed injection of new product. I hope that Ford can give future Lincoln's as much if not more attention.

I eagerly await the unveiling of the production MKS.

As always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
764 Posts

I agree with megeebee. The TL is smaller than the MKZ and the ES would have to be the MKZ competitor, similar in size, price (Lincoln is a little cheaper though).

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The 3.7L GDI will be the base engine. I have heard rumours of well over 300HP. That seems fine for a base engine and few would complain that it is not enough, but yes...a TT GTDI would be nice in a performance slanted version. Add AWD to the mix, and I bet you will never hear a complaint. Especially about FE. At least in it's hi-po luxury segment.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Everyone under the sun has been complaining that the MKS will not have a single V-8 option and therefore have doomed it to failure long before it has even been unveiled.

No offense to them, but did anyone realize that the Acura RL only offers a V-6 which is capable of producing 290 bhp routed through an AWD System and has a starting MSRP of $45,780.00? I do not think so.

Frankly, the Lincoln MKS will price well under $45,000.00, and even with the 3.7L Naturally Aspirated Direct-Injected Engine and All-Wheel Drive run through a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission will produce approximately 300 bhp at least; and offer enough comfort, luxury, performance, and more Volvo developed safety technology than all but the purest of self-titled enthusiasts could ever hope for.

As I have stated before, this has been the constant battle between Cadillac and Lincoln since the earliest days of the 20th Century. Cadillac has always built cars that were about flashy, exclamatory, showy looks that were bathed in vats of chrome and detailed with oversized fins with the sole purpose of screaming..."look at me...look at me, I have succeeded and you haven't!"

Lincoln however has always done the exact opposite, until the recent Lincoln Navigator. Lincoln's have been about subtlety, simplicity, and understated successful elegance. The 1961-1963 Lincoln Continental's are with out a doubt the best example of the subtlety of Lincoln and that theme carries into the new Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKX, and will continue with the MKS.

The MKS will make a very attractive alternative to many of the oh so similar import vehicles in this category and if we take into account the substantial improvements Ford has made in terms of quality...this should be a very well crafted and high quality luxury vehicle!

I am still holding my judgments until I am able to see the finished product unveiled on the upcoming Auto-Show circuit especially when I feel that the model depicted in these spy shots is of a lower spec trim model...although I like the design of the I.P. for the audio and climate controls atop the dash.

I believe that this could very well be the start of something good for Lincoln and a sign that Ford may be truly ready to launch a renaissance for its beleaguered luxury brand.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Everyone under the sun has been complaining that the MKS will not have a single V-8 option and therefore have doomed it to failure long before it has even been unveiled.

No offense to them, but did anyone realize that the Acura RL only offers a V-6 which is capable of producing 290 bhp routed through an AWD System and has a starting MSRP of $45,780.00? I do not think so.
Acura has admited the RL is a sales Dud.

Frankly, the Lincoln MKS will price well under $45,000.00, and even with the 3.7L Naturally Aspirated Direct-Injected Engine and All-Wheel Drive run through a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission will produce approximately 300 bhp at least; and offer enough comfort, luxury, performance, and more Volvo developed safety technology than all but the purest of self-titled enthusiasts could ever hope for.
I think I agree with you here. The Lincoln has home team advantage. But its not in the same class as the Cadillac's.

As I have stated before, this has been the constant battle between Cadillac and Lincoln since the earliest days of the 20th Century. Cadillac has always built cars that were about flashy, exclamatory, showy looks that were bathed in vats of chrome and detailed with oversized fins with the sole purpose of screaming..."look at me...look at me, I have succeeded and you haven't!"
Cadillac has moved to the Global stage, The local battle is now between Buick and Lincoln. The Cadillac CTS is really a very good car. It will not be be sold worldwide and is going squarely after the E Class and Jaguar Type S or XF.
Lincoln however has always done the exact opposite, until the recent Lincoln Navigator. Lincoln's have been about subtlety, simplicity, and understated successful elegance. The 1961-1963 Lincoln Continental's are with out a doubt the best example of the subtlety of Lincoln and that theme carries into the new Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKX, and will continue with the MKS.

The MKS will make a very attractive alternative to many of the oh so similar import vehicles in this category and if we take into account the substantial improvements Ford has made in terms of quality...this should be a very well crafted and high quality luxury vehicle!

I am still holding my judgments until I am able to see the finished product unveiled on the upcoming Auto-Show circuit especially when I feel that the model depicted in these spy shots is of a lower spec trim model...although I like the design of the I.P. for the audio and climate controls atop the dash.

I believe that this could very well be the start of something good for Lincoln and a sign that Ford may be truly ready to launch a renaissance for its beleaguered luxury brand.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
Its true, Cadillac is now in a different class than lincoln. I think they appeal to different audiences.
In a way, Lincoln and Cadillac have parted ways

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Its true, Cadillac is now in a different class than lincoln. I think they appeal to different audiences.
In a way, Lincoln and Cadillac have parted ways

Agreed. And it is to Lincolns advantage, I think. Domestic competition is now Chrysler and, to an extent, Buick. I say that because Lincolns product line is far newer and more broad. But Buick product has the advantage of not being quite obvious rebadges of cheaper product.

(I know, there's that word again. But I must say that, except for the MKS and the almost-no-retail Town Car, Lincolns are in fact refacia-ed and wood trimmed Fords. It's appearant at first sight. That's not to say they are bad vehicles, but as Ford fans most here would have to agree with me there.)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts