Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford plans to sell Edge in China
Automotive News

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. expects to sell its Edge midsize crossover in global markets -- including China -- when the car is redesigned in early 2015, two sources familiar with the automaker's plans told Reuters today.

Ford last year announced plans to sell the Edge in Europe, but the plans for China now are emerging.

Ford will build versions of the new Edge in North America and China for local customers, according to U.S. automotive suppliers familiar with the program. For the European market, the Edge would be imported from North America and sold in Ford's European showrooms alongside the redesigned S-Max and Galaxy.

The Edge, the S-Max and the Galaxy will all share a common architecture, known inside Ford as CD4.2, according to suppliers, and all three are slated to go into production about the same time.

In the United States, the new Edge is expected to go on sale in spring 2015 as a 2016 model, suppliers said.

The new Edge and the new S-Max have been developed simultaneously, according to U.S. supplier sources, and share the same engineering program code, CD391, used by automakers and suppliers.

While their underpinnings are similar, the two vehicles will look different both inside and outside, sources said.

The new Edge and the new S-Max "will not be mirror images" of one another, as Ford's Escape and Kuga utility vehicles are, one source said.

The 2016 Edge will be wider and taller than the S-Max, but will be fitted with just two rows of seats. The Edge will have more rugged styling cues and be aimed at utility-vehicle buyers in both Europe and the United States.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130828/OEM04/130829912/ford-plans-to-sell-edge-in-china-report-says#ixzz2dI7HNTRb
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ford plans to sell Edge in China

So it seems we should get a lot of what we saw of the interior and technology of the S-Max concept, in the new Edge for NA. My bet is that the two vehicles will share quite a bit based on the One Ford plan. It also makes sense that the more upscale, personal 5 passenger SUV Edge get the technology updates, since it's already priced at $27k, just $2k below the Explorer.

Anyone have that presentation shot of the new Edge to post?

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

So it seems we should get a lot of what we saw of the interior and technology of the S-Max concept, in the new Edge for NA. My bet is that the two vehicles will share quite a bit based on the One Ford plan. It also makes sense that the more upscale, personal 5 passenger SUV Edge get the technology updates, since it's already priced at $27k, just $2k below the Explorer.

Anyone have that presentation shot of the new Edge to post?
They will share the CD3.2 platform, but they won't share styling of course.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It looks like the Edge will be another winner for Ford globally. Now with this SUV, it is much easier to hide the battery pack under the body for the Hybrid and Energi versions.

·
Registered
47 Posts

It looks like the Edge will be another winner for Ford globally. Now with this SUV, it is much easier to hide the battery pack under the body for the Hybrid and Energi versions.
Let's hope so, but Ford needs to use this opportunity of a redesign to get some serious weight out of the Edge. Too porky right now.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
CUV's need heft. Hard to design it out of them without bumping cost up with exotic materials.
I say leave it alone and the price alone.
CUV's have to be stout to be able to tow a bit.

Next Edge is stunning. That pic above seems close, but in reality looks so much better.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
If the Edge and the upcoming S-Max are related , why not to sell the S-Max in USA??? Is a good car, with luxury feel. Maybe could be a good Lincoln.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Edge and MKX are the cars I'm most excited to see in production, I'm disappointed to hear it won't be available until Spring 2015, since my lease is due Feb 2015. I'll have to push it to the edge to get my hands on one, assuming there are no delays. If the MKX is delayed significantly like all the other Lincoln launches, then I'll just get the Edge.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Edge will shed a few LB's, not a lot.
I4 GTDI option will be more powerful and fuel efficient.
Can't remark on base engines.
Also, expect a performance model to add more power than current Sport version through EcoBoost V6.
Interesting...

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, expect a performance model to add more power than current Sport version through EcoBoost V6.
Do you know if the Edge is getting any bigger, or staying about the same?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, virtually every other manufacturer is getting weight out of their vehicles to improve gas mileage. Not that hard to do and still keep them "hefty" (hefty??). We'll see what Ford does with the Edge, but I would be surprised if they did not make some effort to lighten the load.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Similar engine lineup as the Explorer (3.5 V6, 2.0 EcoBoost and 3.5 EcoBoost) or will they they lbe introducing new engines with the upcoming Edge?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
SherronBernardino said:
why china only, why not any other country it could also be given to japan, china, indonesia, thats not fair at all
True, looks like Ford is focusing most of their attention to China, being their largest growing market in Asia.

When Ford has a press release that talks about Asia, 90% of the time they mean China only.
This sucks though since their lineup in many other Asian markets is quite small.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts