Ford Inside News banner

What is your most favorite Lincoln concept of this century?

• 2001 Lincoln MK9 Concept

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2002 Lincoln Continental Concept

• 2003 Lincoln Navicross Concept

• 2004 Lincoln Mark X Concept

• 2004 Lincoln Aviator Concept

• 2007 Lincoln MKR Concept

• 2012 Lincoln MKZ Concept

• 2013 Lincoln MKC Concept

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick your favorite concept.

If not on the list of choices, tell us the one you really like.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Mark X Concept is the most breath taking modern Lincoln, IMO. Restrained. Serene. Unmistakably Lincoln. It's the most refined car out of those 60s Continental inspired concepts done under Gerry McGovern.

I really love the rear design:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It was between the Mark X and the MKR for me and I went with the MKR because it wasn't derivative like the MKC (Audi) and Continental (Bentley) nor was retro like the Mark X. It was both original, aggressive, and very much premium in design!

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was between the Mark X and the MKR for me and I went with the MKR because it wasn't derivative like the MKC (Audi) and Continental (Bentley) nor was retro like the Mark X. It was both original, aggressive, and very much premium in design!
It depends on how one defines 'retro'. I don't think taking prominent cues from classics in a contemporary fashion and coming up with new ones simultaneously is retro. I see retro cars as being carbon copies of an original model, especially when common cues from that era such as round headlights are utilized. The original Continental Concept was retro and so was the 2005 Mustang.

Lincoln should have never strayed away from slab-sides to begin with as they pretty much owned that cue.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The MK9 is my definite favorite:

Although, the Navicross and MKR Concepts had a lot of potential:

^ Navicross in scale model form

The Navicross would make a great basis for an AWD compact Lincoln sedan, while the MKR would be a great basis for a sport sedan/coupe or RWD MKZ.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The 2004 Mark X Concept hands down. That is one concept car that should have definitely made it to production. Stunningly beautiful, classic yet modern. Everything a Lincoln should be.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I once loved the MKR, but now I see that old Lincoln face, and can't forget how polarizing it was for the brand, and it now takes a back seat to the Conti for me. Conti defines classic Lincoln luxury to me and was far more comprehensively designed as something close to production. The MKR had an old 3.8L pushrod motor in it, aamof.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Pick your favorite concept.

If not on the list of choices, tell us the one you really like.
good poll N.R.
a big difficult for me:
I like both Continental concept (2002 & 2015) and the 2014 MKX concept! maybe the MKC concept too! haha
Also not a concept per se but I like the Navigator K concept

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Really, is necessary to ask it? The Continental concept is the best and most beautiful LIncoln concept in this century.. Far, in the second place is fthe MKR. But i agree with Wings, that "ballen mouth" grille doesnt looks good today...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I once loved the MKR, but now I see that old Lincoln face, and can't forget how polarizing it was for the brand, and it now takes a back seat to the Conti for me. Conti defines classic Lincoln luxury to me and was far more comprehensively designed as something close to production. The MKR had an old 3.8L pushrod motor in it, aamof.
I think the MKR had a 3.5 EcoBoost

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regarding the grilles, the 60s Continentals had many different grille designs, and the vehicles still managed to look familial. The slab-sided look was a potent design cue, so Lincoln didn't really need to worry about maintaining a certain grille theme in their design DNA like most brands do.

The egg-crate design is my personal favorite. It seems to make a bigger statement than the split-wing design.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Their was nothing like the MKR concept at the time, with some modern updates to the styling, it would look just as good now as it did then. This car would sell today if Lincoln produced it. Outside of dropping the Ranger and not replacing it, not producing the MKR was the second questionable(dumb) move by Ford.

The same recent praise that the Continental concept received was largely what the MKR received at the time. The difference is now is Ford is smart enough to produce a universally praised concept.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...The same recent praise that the Continental received was largely what the MKR received at the time.
probably agree
tho
iyrc, the MKR was sort of a "sampler" of 7 themes that Mr. Horbury came up with
& iirc he said they were never intended to all be on one car - other than showcar

for me, like most vehicles, there are good parts and not so good parts

·
Registered
867 Posts
The MKR might have been poised as the successor to the Lincoln LS. Without the baleen-whale jaws it would have been a masterpiece. I suspect it was designed on the DEW98 platform. Except for the Alfa-like handleless rear doors, it may have been very close to an actual production spec if it had been given a green light. It also might have been the car that saved Lincoln but Ford wasn't in the mood for that then.

But those jaws ...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
got a question....

I've never seen any of these concepts in person :(
last FoMoCo concept I remember seeing was the Giugiaro Mustang at L.A
so
anyone else think they oughta bring them to more than One autoshow/event?
or/then
have them on display SOMEwhere - for a while if not permanently?

(frankly
it wouldn't surprise me if the ContiConc, X-Conc, & C-Conc made the rounds of CHINA's dealerships
:banghead: )

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not sure I have a favorite.... Will have to give it some thought.

As to your query, 2b2, you'd think they WOULD bring concepts to more than 1 place-show.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I think I finally know just what it means" __ Mac Davis __ 'Texas In My Rearview Mirror'

1 - 20 of 83 Posts