1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wonder why they didn't run the SS with the FE4 package against the GT with the Performance Package. That is the true competitor. The 1LE slomaro is really more track focused then this version of the Mustang.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What they didn't bring up was how do they fair in day to day driving. Does the Camaro's 1LE make the car un-drivable on the street from being too stiff & having a much harsher ride or not? The point of these cars is to be able to drive them on a daily basis. If the Camaro's ride was as comfortable on the road as the Mustang, then it is the better tuned vehicle. Otherwise, they should have pointed this out in the compare.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I will say this much, the gt is a fraking performance bargain next to the camaro. Did anyone bother to mention that?

Price for base gt plus PP = $35,420
Price for base ss plus 1LE $41,200

Imagine the performance you can add that difference.

Anyway, the only thing that Ford can be faulted for here is not having a higher perf model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ford should have added 5k worth of suspension Or offered a PP+ edition. Then we could of had a better overall car. Especially when gen6 Camaro is right around the corner. I just hope the Gt350 cleans house...

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Ford should have added 5k worth of suspension Or offered a PP+ edition. Then we could of had a better overall car. Especially when gen6 Camaro is right around the corner. I just hope the Gt350 cleans house...
They simply don't need $5K worth of upgrades to beat the camaro on a track. They already beat it in acceleration, so all they really need to do is offer a bit more spring stiffness and increase sway bar diameters and better shock dampening. They barely did that at all in the upgrade. Just doing all that would add plenty to improve a track time, maybe even close the gap entirely. And those upgrades cost very little. Now, adding serious tires like the camaro would cost much more, of course, but in total, still far less. And that would easily best the Camaro. No way it can't.

But, would you buy a suspension package that includes disclaimers to never drive the car in winter conditions, like camaro does? Right there on their website.

Most people buy these cars as their daily drivers, and thus, tires specific to warm, dry pavement ONLY.....is sort of foolish. Especially if you never even visit a track.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Most people buy these cars as their daily drivers, and thus, tires specific to warm, dry pavement ONLY.....is sort of foolish. Especially if you never even visit a track.
1LE sales are a very small minority of Camaro sales which is kind of the point. They chose to offer a track oriented package, those people who are concerned with ride and winter handling will not buy it. It would be nice to see Ford offer a similar package to the 1LE above the GT but below the GT350.

It's early, yet still disappointing to see the new toy in Ford's corral coming in second.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I see several levels of performance packages one day. Makes sense. They have several levels of Mustang.
And if they do offer a track biased package, by all means, make it nasty for daily use. But, do offer something for the every man as well. Options are always a good thing.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Performance Package is the standard suspension in Europe. Why would they want some super track focused, stiff riding suspension for what is essentially the only suspension for the Mustangs in Europe?

The 1LE was made specifically for track duty not the PP so celebrating a 1LE victory is kind of.......LOL really.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The Performance Package is the standard suspension in Europe. Why would they want some super track focused, stiff riding suspension for what is essentially the only suspension for the Mustangs in Europe?

The 1LE was made specifically for track duty not the PP so celebrating a 1LE victory is kind of.......LOL really.
No kidding. Did not know.
Well if that's the case, Ford will certainly have an answer. They may wait until the GT350 arrives next year and offer it simultaneously. And I bet some are bits right from the GT350.

Hollow victory then for Camaro fans.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will say this much, the gt is a fraking performance bargain next to the camaro. Did anyone bother to mention that?

Price for base gt plus PP = $35,420
Price for base ss plus 1LE $41,200

Imagine the performance you can add that difference.

Anyway, the only thing that Ford can be faulted for here is not having a higher perf model.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Both of these are great performers, and the future only looks brighter as GM and Ford continue to try to outpace each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder why they didn't run the SS with the FE4 package against the GT with the Performance Package. That is the true competitor. The 1LE slomaro is really more track focused then this version of the Mustang.
FE4 is the standard suspension for the SS. If you want to compare a Mustang to it, bring the base model GT with all season tires and see what happens. They compared both models with their respective performance packages, what is not fair about that? It wasn't even a close comparison either...the Mustang got whooped by a car that has been on dealer lots for two years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
But, would you buy a suspension package that includes disclaimers to never drive the car in winter conditions, like camaro does? Right there on their website.
GM lists that disclaimer for every vehicle with summer tires. The Mustang GT PP with P Zeros (which come stock on an SS, by the way) should not see winter conditions any more than the tires on the 1LE.

·
Registered
717 Posts
FE4 is the standard suspension for the SS. If you want to compare a Mustang to it, bring the base model GT with all season tires and see what happens. They compared both models with their respective performance packages, what is not fair about that? It wasn't even a close comparison either...the Mustang got whooped by a car that has been on dealer lots for two years.
Like I said the PP may be optional here in the U.S. but it is a standard package overseas. So is it really an upgrade??? I don't think so. Besides the FE4 is just front and rear stabilizers. Seems like base suspensions for both really.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The old "slomaro" is faster than the new Mustang. What does that make the Mustang?
It makes the new Mustang a work in progress. It also makes an even stronger case for the trickle-down product planning Ford has decided to go with. So it's a case of short-term pain, with long-term gain. It's possible that this new Mustang will be refined in much the same way the Camaro was. But just as GM guys are looking forward to the Cadillac-based Alpha car, I suspect that Ford fans will be totally stoked at the awesomeness of a true LincStang in a few year's time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like I said the PP may be optional here in the U.S. but it is a standard package overseas. So is it really an upgrade??? I don't think so. Besides the FE4 is just front and rear stabilizers. Seems like base suspensions for both really.
And GM only sells the SS Camaro overseas. Shouldn't that be compared to the EcoBoost if we are going to arbitrarily compare US spec muscle cars based on what their standard equipment is in Europe?

Ford insisted on calling the PP the 1LE's competition for the last car when they refused to let car mags pit the 1LE against the Boss. From MT:

We hear you loud and clear -- you're wondering if maybe the Boss 302 might be a tougher opponent for the SS 1LE. Well, we asked Ford for a Boss and were politely refused. Ford's reasoning was simple: See, the Boss 302 is a distinct and separate model, much like the Camaro ZL1 or the Shelby GT500. More than a hop-up package, the Boss goes so far as to have a unique engine relative to the standard GT. The GT Track Pack is simply an option on top of the base GT that adds equipment to make it better suited for hot lapping. Similarly, the SS 1LE is an option package for the base SS to serve the same purpose.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts