Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mulally Backs Established Nameplates​

When Alan Mulally came to Ford Motor Co. from Boeing Co. in 2006, one thing was already bothering him, before he even walked through the door.

He wanted to know why Ford had dropped the Taurus.

Ford executives admitted their own failure to invest in the sedan had transformed the one-time bestseller into the stuff of which rental car fleets are made. Mulally said that was no reason to abandon a nameplate Ford had spent millions of dollars turning into a household word.

In the new Explorer, Ford has its first real opportunity to put Mulally's preaching into practice. Instead of scrapping what was once a license to print money and has since become a poor-selling albatross, the automaker is spending the money to keep a still-valuable name viable.

Ford did revive the Taurus name at Mulally's behest, but because its replacement -- the Ford Fusion -- was already in showrooms and selling well, it was applied to an entirely different car: the Ford Five Hundred, which was about to get a major freshening.

The problem was that the Five Hundred cost more and was a lot bigger than the old Taurus, and that created some real confusion in the marketplace.

The new Explorer is a direct replacement for the old SUV, albeit one built on an entirely new, car-based platform that promises better fuel economy and a more comfortable ride.

"We knew that there was a lot of love for the Explorer brand, but we also knew that we had to do something to bring the product into the 21st century," said Amy Marentic, head of marketing for Ford cars, crossovers and sport utility vehicles.

But marketing the new Explorer will require a different message this time around.

With oil filling up the Gulf of Mexico and greed no longer good, Ford will focus on the things like fuel economy, soy-based seat foam and safety. Ads will show the Explorer in the great outdoors, rather than running over it.

"People's attitudes have really changed. They're kinder and gentler," Marentic said. "What we've tried do is deliver a vehicle that is consistent with their moral integrity."

http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...48/Explorer-is-latest-test-of-Ford-s-strategy

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wonder now if they will bring back the Bronco.

I feel for the loss of Mercury but I think that Ford is going the way of Toyota before it had Scion when they were only Toyota and Lexus.

I guess now we get to see what else Ford has up its sleeve with the amount of products it will bring to the U.S.A.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
What about Town Car, Continental, Mark, Versailles, Zephyr....????

And in the Ford stable: Galaxie, LTD, Fairlane, Falcon, Thunderbird....???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good bye and good riddance for Mercury. Sorry guys but I won't miss it at all.
It's a weird thing for me because I only liked the 2 vehicles they kept and since I only owned 1 Mercury I guess there will not be much to miss. I guess heritage is the most missed.

I think Ford did what was best to keep a basic and luxury line which I think was the smartest thing to do. I agree that most Mercury owners or buyers are a little older then me at 29 and I only bought the Milan because my friend worked there and I thought it looked more high class than the Fusion for almost the same price. I can't wait to see what Ford brings out now with more funding to the FORD nameplate and Lincoln. I guess Ford better make Lincoln more appealing and bring different sheet metal to the lineup or people will just think they are rebadged FORDS. The MKT and MKS do a lot to help but the MKZ and Navigator need to be a little more different. Obviously the Navigator is still in the need for an update or total refresh. I just wonder what they will call it....MKN sounds weird.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford's Mulally Out to Make Lincoln World Class Brand

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37639407?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

It would appear any effort that was being directed toward Merc will now be fully refocused to Lincoln. I think this would qualify as "laser focus" haha
I really wish I didn't feel this way but I'm pretty fed-up with suit-speak coupled with the Murder of Merc
so
"YADA YADA, Warden, YADA YADA"

for those less familiar than me with classic comedian Lenny Bruce,
my meaning is
- I don't believe anything they say anymore
- I don't trust their judgment either
- Show me the vehicles

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I really wish I didn't feel this way but I'm pretty fed-up with suit-speak coupled with the Murder of Merc
so
"YADA YADA, Warden, YADA YADA"

for those less familiar than me with classic comedian Lenny Bruce,
my meaning is
- I don't believe anything they say anymore
- I don't trust their judgment either
- Show me the vehicles
I believe thats more of fustration with the death of Mercury talk 2b2... :p

Seriously though, I was on the same page as you about 2 years ago with Mercury, and even to this day I feel that its a lost opprotunity. But Lincoln is something special and it needs the resources right now to turn its image around. The one thing I learnd about Mulally is that when he says hes going to do something... he does it... just look at Ford now. I honestly cannot wait to see the new MKS. I fell in love with the MKS conecpt when it first came out and even though it is FWD/AWD I still love the look to it.

Say what you will about the grill or the fact that it does not have full width tail lights... but look at this when you see an MKS on the road it has a preseance, and a feel to it... you can TELL its a premium car. Even when I see them on the other side of the highway I get that feeling of "Thats a damn nice car" and that is not my Ford bias, you get that with a few cars that you see just like the Jaguar XJs or BMW 7 series. Even though it may not be on the same level as those.. it has that look to it. I hope they keep that feeling with the new one.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...The one thing I learnd about Mulally is that when he says hes going to do something... he does it...
yeah, I didn't express myself too well....
I still believe that Mr. M. and the team he's put together can do pretty much anything they set out to do.
But
what he said in that article just struck me as empty placating suit-speak - - maybe I need to go back and re-read it but I didn't see anything concrete that I could translate into real, accountable goals
so
it left my mouth tasting of snake-oil.
plus
consider the title of the article = FLAT OUT LIE
(btw - DetNews did NOT post my comment)

I believe thats more of frustration with the death of Mercury talk 2b2... :p

Seriously though, I was on the same page as you about 2 years ago with Mercury, and even to this day I feel that its a lost opportunity...
the loss of opportunity is what bothers me most
that ^ and the timing - just when Merc was going to build MY CAR!!! (I've been ranting and drooling for the Merc C3 since the C1 came out - tho I called it the C2 )
so
until something fills that hole-in-my-heart (IF anything ever does) that frustration-&-loss is something I'll be living with...
...and posting about

...But Lincoln is something special...
...I honestly cannot wait to see the new MKS. I fell in love with the MKS concept when it first came out and even though it is FWD/AWD I still love the look to it.

Say what you will about the grill or the fact that it does not have full width tail lights... but look at this when you see an MKS on the road it has a presence, and a feel to it... you can TELL its a premium car. Even when I see them on the other side of the highway I get that feeling of "Thats a damn nice car" and that is not my Ford bias, you get that with a few cars that you see just like the Jaguar XJs or BMW 7 series. Even though it may not be on the same level as those.. it has that look to it. I hope they keep that feeling with the new one.
I was rather infatuated with the MKS too - see some of my many posts from its first year -
and agree with everything you say
I'm just ready for a "booster-shot"/MCE/gen2
tho remember,
I've never been a Lincoln-guy myself
- never had that kind of aspirations
- Mercury is my Ideal Brand
- & Titanium is not a "Brand"
- & it won't have a waterfall grille (without aftermarket... )

&
GM in the past few months +now Ford have killed far too many established AND CHERISHED NAMES
...it FEELS like living thru a major war that saw the loss of too many friends and the last shot killed my family

(not sure Ford realizes that - or if they do, that they care)

edit
it seems that the link in the original post has changed
so
www.detnews.com/article/20100610/AUTO04/6100407/Mulally-backs-established-nameplates

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I know what you mean... my first car remember 2b2 was a Mercury ;)
I was really hoping to see the new Tracer at the NY Auto show I was super excited to see it and then it didn't show up. I remember my g/f's best friend was busting my balls the whole time cause it wasn't there. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts