1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ Intentional Repost ]

Mercury_1988 said:
Is Mercury already dead ???...
We're very fortunate that Mercury is still alive, but unfortunately I can't say Mercury is really well.

Mercury is suffering from product starvation & if Ford doesn't do something fast Mercury I'm afraid it may be too late & I say that because the average buyer/car shopper may just past Mercury over since they haven't heard of any new product or seen a Mercury commercial in just about forever. And probably a good portion of the public doesn't even know Mercury exist anymore. And Ford can't ( >BLAME< ) anyone but themselves for it...
imho we MercuryFans really Need, MUST, make a verbal distinction from now on:

Mercury IS NOT Dead! Dying!! etc!!!

If "worse keeps coming to worst", we MUST start using the word MURDERED!

Between the
- Milan-&-Mariner,
- all the web-forum hub-bub -- so much of it positive,
- Mercury's CONSISTENTLY Astronomic dependability ratings,
- & *Jill*;
there is NO WAY that Mercury will DIE all-by-itself!!!

True, it's Overly LEAN (due to the Fomoco-Imposed starvation diet),
but
despite F's best/worst efforts, sales HAVE NOT "evaporated" - just been ArTiFiCiAlLy suppressed...

I'm SICK of it !

IF Fomoco really wants to make the BIGGEST MISTAKE they possibly could,
there's not much I/we can do... BUT
CALL THEM ON IT:
MURDERERS
MURDERERS
MURDERERS

think I'm finding my 'voice' :mad:
...tho all my NYC-Autoshow-NO-SHOW notes are on my in-storage computer

&
Let me take my gloves off & get 'personal' for a moment:

Dear Mr.M,

What do you want your last initial to stand for?
M = Mulally?
or
"M for MURDER"?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hey 2b2,

Like good old William S. once wrote . . . "Too much ado about nothing".

I am also disappointed that there were no new Mercurys (or Fords or Lincolns for that matter) at NYIAS. BUT, there was a Mercury area and let me tell you there were people looking at the few cars that were there, especially the two hybrids. That made a sharp contrast with Pontiac for example, which had more than twice the space and every single car they produce (including the G5 and a G3 I had no idea existed) and none of the visitors.

Ford is still cost cutting, you could see that in the show. Lincoln didn't bother to include the Town Car in their press material booklet for example but they had two MKTs for you to play with. Ford only had one Mustang (a Shelby GT500) but they had two Tauri (a Limited and an SHO) and the cutaway. Their presence was reduced and strong.

I can't blame Mullaly or Ford for prioritizing their core brands Ford and Lincoln. That is where the volume is. Mercury as been given a new lease in life but now is going through a semi-comatose period, in which incidentally they have two of the best vehicles they have ever had, until Ford has the time and resources to tun it into this premium small car brand they have been talking about.

All I can tell you is, be patient my friend, be patient. . . . and also prepared, just in case.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mercury is dead man walking - get used to it. The cances of Ford investing major amount of effort, time, and money into redesigning a brand they do not need is minimal and shrinking.

I like Mercury, but the amount if investment (mostly attention, not really money) it would require if simply unjustifiable in the current times.

Igor

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Igor,
I'm asking for very VERY Little... just SOMETHING more than words...
...a Fiesta with a waterfall grille - just to get reactions
...ditto a euro-Focus or C-Max OR S-Max!
...HECK - they coulda shown the 2010 VOGA's :mad:
cuz
in a very short time, Fomoco will NEED Mercury desperately!

...I can't blame Mullaly or Ford for prioritizing their core brands Ford and Lincoln. That is where the volume is. Mercury as been given a new lease in life but now is going through a semi-comatose period, in which incidentally they have two of the best vehicles they have ever had, until Ford has the time and resources to tun it into this premium small car brand they have been talking about.

All I can tell you is, be patient my friend, be patient. . . . and also prepared, just in case.

I can (& HAVE (maybe not rightfully)) blamed Mr. Murder
AND
I'm fully prepared (with graphics) should Fomoco do the DUMBEST thing possible :evil-wink-not-grin:

·
Registered
137 Posts
i think calling him a murderer is a bit too far. even for me. lol. He has done a great job with Ford and Lincoln already, but now its time to focus on Mercury, its the best investment they can make for a minimal price. I really cant stand the people that blame Mercury's failure on rebadges. Who gives an S, all Mercurys have been in the past are rebadges. I have no problem with that. if you think about it, there are very few one off Mercurys as it is.

at the end of the day every Mercury buyer knows what they are getting which of course is an upscale Ford, what I blame Ford for is of course dumping its heritage with the loss of the Cougar.

Ford has promissed that Mercury would offer smaller vehicles, i suspect by the next round of Auto Shows you will see at least the Mercury "focus" if you dont then I would be worried, as the last mentioned of supplies for Mercury didnt go past 2012 which would coincide with the Fusion/MKZ having Mondeo underpinning for 2013, there was no mention of the Milan when that was said so if this is the case the 2012 Milan/Mariner would be the last of the line.

Why can't all us Mercury lovers get together and send a letter or e-mail with signatures demanding information on Mercurys future.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I rather see him as the savior of the Ford Motor Company. Without him Mercury would be completely dead (and not just comatose) and so would be Ford and Lincoln, and possibly Volvo. I have nothing but gratitude for the guy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
He has done a great job with Ford and Lincoln already, but now its time to focus on Mercury, its the best investment they can make for a minimal price. I really cant stand the people that blame Mercury's failure on rebadges. Who gives an S, all Mercurys have been in the past are rebadges. I have no problem with that. if you think about it, there are very few one off Mercurys as it is.

at the end of the day every Mercury buyer knows what they are getting which of course is an upscale Ford, what I blame Ford for is of course dumping its heritage with the loss of the Cougar.

Ford has promissed that Mercury would offer smaller vehicles, i suspect by the next round of Auto Shows you will see at least the Mercury "focus" if you dont then I would be worried, as the last mentioned of supplies for Mercury didnt go past 2012 which would coincide with the Fusion/MKZ having Mondeo underpinning for 2013, there was no mention of the Milan when that was said so if this is the case the 2012 Milan/Mariner would be the last of the line.

Why can't all us Mercury lovers get together and send a letter or e-mail with signatures demanding information on Mercurys future.
I agree & very well said my friend.

Although I won't necessarily call Mercury's just re-badged Ford's, but in my opinion Mercury's are restyled Ford's with style, class & sophistication.

And the Mercury name just sounds so great, or tleast to me it does.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Personally I don’t agree with a lot of what you are saying. Now just bear with me on this… I am a huge fan of Mercury, I drive a Mercury, I’ve been looking at a few Mercury’s for maybe a 2nd car or something, The Cougar is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Mulally has done a great job at Ford, look at their stock now, its above 4 bucks where GM’s is falling under 2. GM and Chrysler are going bankrupt and Ford is still floating. You have to understand that they are squeezing a lot of pennies right now. You need to be patient

The LAST thing… and trust me on this the LAST thing we want is a Fiesta or a Focus with just a waterfall grill. That is probably the worst thing you could do because it will give Mercury a lot of bad press like:

“Look Mercury is back to badge engineering”
“Ford is pulling a GM”

etc. We need to give Ford time to come out with this new Mercury so it can be DIFFERENT than a Fiesta or a Focus but share the platform. What I am talking about is sharing NO body panels, or interior parts.

End of Story

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I don’t agree with a lot of what you are saying. Now just bear with me on this…

...The LAST thing… and trust me on this the LAST thing we want is a Fiesta or a Focus with just a waterfall grill. That is probably the worst thing you could do because it will give Mercury a lot of bad press like:

“Look Mercury is back to badge engineering”
“Ford is pulling a GM”

etc. We need to give Ford time to come out with this new Mercury so it can be DIFFERENT than a Fiesta or a Focus but share the platform. What I am talking about is sharing NO body panels, or interior parts.

End of Story
hi, Andrew
it's just that my frustation level has gone critical
&
I need for the world to SEE something re: Mercury
cuz
even IF I regain my patience, the 'Market' won't

...wonder if you saw this? ...maybe more the description than the chop itself... (which COULD be better)

(wondered for some time if having a design 'clinic'/show-n-tell ...drawings/models/partial-mockups/virtual_this-or-that(to save $$$)... at the autoshows, would be a way for All/ANY of Fomoco's Brands to connect with "interested parties"?)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
hi, Andrew
it's just that my frustation level has gone critical
&
I need for the world to SEE something re: Mercury
cuz
even IF I regain my patience, the 'Market' won't

...wonder if you saw this? ...maybe more the description than the chop itself... (which COULD be better)

(wondered for some time if having a design 'clinic'/show-n-tell ...drawings/models/partial-mockups/virtual_this-or-that(to save $$$)... at the autoshows, would be a way for All/ANY of Fomoco's Brands to connect with "interested parties"?)
hehe Dont worry 2b2 I know how you feel... I was in the same boat about a year ago.

Currently I am just hoping and praying that when this new Mercury does come out, that it different

I have faith that Ford will follow through with this new Mercury

I personally expect it to show up at LA tho at the end of this year and if not then hopefully at next years NAIAS

I know its a long time away... so lets enjoy the new Lincoln products that we have gotten now since I personally think Lincoln needed help alot more than Mercury did.... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts