Ford Inside News banner

Mustang #1 Selling Convertible in All 50 States

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  paul8488 
#1 ·
Mustang #1 Selling Convertible in All 50 States
Detroit News

Convertible buyers tend to be educated, affluent and Californian and California is tops when it come to driving with the top down.

Convertible car buyers are affluent, educated and tend to live in California, especially Southern California, according to Experian Automotive, an industry research company and arm of the giant consumer credit rating agency.

There were 4.5 million convertible vehicles on U.S. roads during the first quarter, making up 1.8 percent of the entire vehicle market.

The top five convertible models on the road during the first quarter of 2014 were the Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, Mazda Miata/MX-5, BMW 3-Series and Chevrolet Corvette, Experian found.

The Mustang was the bestselling ragtop in every state.

Experian looked at convertible buyers during the first quarter of this year and found that half hold at least a bachelor’s degree. That compares to only 38.2 percent of other new car buyers.

They also are well off. Nearly 19 percent have an average household income of more than $175,000, and 11.7 percent own a home valued at more than $1 million. Only 10.7 percent of new car buyers are in the same income bracket, and just 4.4 percent have a $1-million home.

Read more.....

See less See more
#2 ·
So the current Mustang already outsells the luxury 4-Series convertible, C-Class Convertible, A-4 Convertible.

Just imagine how well the new 2015 Mustang will do with a more luxurious interior and upscale exterior. Currently ranging from $27k to $60k, with the most popular Premium GT starting at $40k. Compared with the current 4-Series convertible starting at $48k.

It looks like Mustang is ready to give 4-series a run for the rest of the market...

#3 ·
Since the death of the Sebring convertible there hasn't been anything truly competitive with the Mustang in the sub $30k range. This isn't all that surprising really.

Edit: Not saying the Sebring was in the Mustang's ballpark, just based upon price and size it was the only real competition for volume convertible sales.

#8 ·
It's been a few years since I rented a Sebring convertible in Florida, but what I do remember was that it was lacking in every possible way. Maybe that is why.
I rented a Sebring back in 2005, and as a lazy top-down tourer I found it rather likeable. Far from exciting, to be sure, and not particularly good at any one thing, but it was comfy for 4 people and was pretty unoffensive. I can see that it was popular mainly because there wasn't really any competition, but it's also clear that it was never a proper drivers car the way a convertible should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.