Registered
5,933 Posts
I think we spoke about this on GMI

and I support this idea!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm just suggesting it as a line extension, not to replace the coupe. But I think it could broaden the Mustang's appeal considerably.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My only disappointment with the 1994 redesign of the Fox Mustang was the disappearance of the liftback. I guess that back then the liftback's role was covered by the Probe (which ironically was originally planned to replace the entire Mustang line).

The omission has persisted since. I agree with the above opinions, it would be really nice to have e Mustang liftback. There is one problem, whenever it was one, it was always the one with the faster back, and the current bodystyle is already heavily influenced by fastbacks Mustangs of the past . . . I can't see how the back could get any 'faster' . . .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only disappointment with the 1994 redesign of the Fox Mustang was the disappearance of the liftback. I guess that back then the liftback's role was covered by the Probe (which ironically was originally planned to replace the entire Mustang line).

The omission has persisted since. I agree with the above opinions, it would be really nice to have e Mustang liftback. There is one problem, whenever it was one, it was always the one with the faster back, and the current bodystyle is already heavily influenced by fastbacks Mustangs of the past . . . I can't see how the back could get any 'faster' . . .
Honestly, styling-wise, I don't think the liftback would/should look much different than the coupe. Kind of a hidden feature. Only visible styling difference I'd imagine from the coupe would either be a small indentation either on the rear bumper, or just under the rear decklid medallion for a "handle."

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Honestly, styling-wise, I don't think the liftback would/should look much different than the coupe. Kind of a hidden feature. Only visible styling difference I'd imagine from the coupe would either be a small indentation either on the rear bumper, or just under the rear decklid medallion for a "handle."
That would be great, but if they could do that they may as well apply it to all Mustangs, there wouldn't be a point in having two separate cars.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly wouldn't object if the liftback became the main bodystyle, but there are specific applications where the coupe makes more sense. For drag-racers, I'm sure they'd still prefer the coupe because of its lighter weight and (presumably) better chassis rigidity. However, if Ford could keep the weight down and chassis rigidity up with the liftback, you won't hear me complain.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There should be a liftback and notchback just like the old days.........throw in a bi-plane spoiler on the liftback and we are all set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts