1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive: Ford Mustang to replace Falcon in 2016 - Carsguide.com.AU
By Joshua Dowling
13 July 2013

Ford Mustang returns to Australia as performance icon after almost 50 years.

Grieving Ford fans will soon have a reason to get over the loss of the locally-made Falcon. The iconic Ford Mustang muscle car will return to Australia after almost almost 50 years. It will replace the Falcon as Ford’s performance hero in 2016, the same year the Falcon is axed.

Ford’s global vice president of sales and marketing, Jim Farley, will fly to Australia to personally deliver the good news on August 13...

...The normally secretive Ford is taking the unusual step of making the announcement early because it is trying to reassure Australians it will continue to sell cars here even though it will close its manufacturing operations after 90 years.

Australia will not get the Mustang currently on-sale in North America but an all-new model that’s been designed for global sales. It is due to be unveiled at next year’s New York motor show, the 50th anniversary of the Mustang...

...the new Mustang is expected to have a starting price close to $50,000... ...Ford Australia would not confirm the announcement but confidential sources have confirmed to Carsguide: “Mustang is a goer”

The new generation Mustang has already been confirmed for the UK -- likely to be the largest market for right-hand-drive models, with Australia next in line. Because right-hand-drive versions of the Mustang are expected to account for less than 10 per cent of global sales Ford Detroit is keen to sell it in as many countries as possible to recover the extra engineering costs involved in making a right-hand-drive model....

a bit MORE

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Nice....Mustang is really going global.

But this has me thinking....

Ford is canceling the Australian Falcon Sedan due to slow sales and cost of doing business in Australia. But what of the perfectly fine 111 inch RWD platform. Which by the way has a version of the Control Blade Independent Rear Suspension from the current Focus.

Did I say 111 inch RWD platform? The 3-Series has a 110.6 inch platform, ATS has a 109.3 inch RWD platform, C-Class has a 108.7 inch wheelbase.

Would it just be stupid of Ford not to use that perfectly good RWD platform for the new Lincoln RWD sport sedan? With the Falcon being discontinued, the Lincoln would not be sharing the platform with any other model in NA. Could that also be where the longer RWD wheelbase for the MKS is coming from also? Ford spent the engineering and dollars building the platform, so why not use it?

Just saying......:angel

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Nice....Mustang is really going global.

But this has me thinking....

Ford is canceling the Australian Falcon Sedan due to slow sales and cost of doing business in Australia. But what of the perfectly fine 111 inch RWD platform. Which by the way has a version of the Control Blade Independent Rear Suspension from the current Focus.

Did I say 111 inch RWD platform? The 3-Series has a 110.6 inch platform, ATS has a 109.3 inch RWD platform, C-Class has a 108.7 inch wheelbase.

Would it just be stupid of Ford not to use that perfectly good RWD platform for the new Lincoln RWD sport sedan? With the Falcon being discontinued, the Lincoln would not be sharing the platform with any other model in NA. Could that also be where the longer RWD wheelbase for the MKS is coming from also? Ford spent the engineering and dollars building the platform, so why not use it?

Just saying......:angel
The car was never engineered for right hand drive nor for North American safety regulations. The situation is really no different then Ford killing off the Panther platform, because updating it to meet current and future regulations was going to cost more than it was worth.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a feeling - just a feeling -
that the S550 is an all new platform, primarily changed for flexibility
&
it wouldn't surprise me to see an approx 108" wlb sport 2-door PLUS a 111" wlb sportsedan built on it

So far I don't expect the S550 itself to be stretched more than that
but
it also wouldn't surprise me if its frontend could be mated to a larger passenger compartment.

My main question is about the future of the MKS, specifically WHAT we're going to see next Spring.

edit: *IF* the S550 owes some of its DNA to the Falcon platform, that could explain why I read recently that the weight savings over the S197 are a bit less than originally forecasted...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
" . . . The iconic Ford Mustang muscle car will return to Australia after almost almost 50 years . . ."

Can someone clarify this statement? What does the article mean by "return"? When was the Mustang sold in Australia if ever? For how long?

The Mustang itself if almost 50 years old, so this sounds like the Mustang might have been sold there for a few month at the very beginning. And even though stranger things have happened, that doesn't make much sense.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
" . . . The iconic Ford Mustang muscle car will return to Australia after almost almost 50 years . . ."

Can someone clarify this statement? What does the article mean by "return"? When was the Mustang sold in Australia if ever? For how long?

The Mustang itself if almost 50 years old, so this sounds like the Mustang might have been sold there for a few month at the very beginning. And even though stranger things have happened, that doesn't make much sense.
It says later that they stopped selling it in the late 60s.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I wonder if it will be accepted as a replacement for the Falcon

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ imho
not without waaaaaay more interior room and 2 more doors

&
wondering if we'll hear firsthand from the Announcement event...
& if Mr. Farley will take any questions??

edit/btw
the Falcon is darn close to the MKZ's dimensions
_wlb____ovl____w____h____
111.7 - 195.7 - 73.5 - 57.2 - FG Falcon
112.2 - 194.1 - 73.4 - 58.2 - MKZ
ANDbutTHO
I've seen it said without its Barra inline-6, the frontend could lose *more* than several inches in length
ie/imho darn close to the Mustang's current ovl
107.1 - 188.1 - 73.9 - 55.6
& just becuz
(n/a = not applicable)
108._ - _n/a_ - 77._ - 53._ - Evos

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
They deserve the Mustang, the next-gen Taurus SHO, the Raptor, and the (wishful thinking) new T-bird.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
They deserve the Mustang, the next-gen Taurus SHO, the Raptor, and the (wishful thinking) new T-bird.
The new Thunderbird. Is a dream... but with the Mustang ( and Camaro) actual sales about less than 100000 anually, a new coupe is redundant. Maybe a new luxury coupe, for Lincoln, is justified

·
Registered
348 Posts
The car was never engineered for right hand drive nor for North American safety regulations. The situation is really no different then Ford killing off the Panther platform, because updating it to meet current and future regulations was going to cost more than it was worth.
You mean LHD, which would have cost AU$80m to engineer into E8.
I'm pretty sure it was a lot more advanced than Panther, and it achieved Ancap 5 Star maximum safety without curtain airbags, something GM's Zeta couldn't achieve even with all it's bags and 1 foot wide A-pillars.

Yes, there would be engineering involved to have it meet future regs but doesn't everything?

As for the article:
Will Mustang come to Australia? That was always a case of when, not if (barring the unforeseen).
Will it replace the four door performance sedan? No because that can be viewed as a totally different segment for a lot of people, especially people who've grown to love the V8 sedan.
Can Mustang be viewed as the halo performance model? Yes.
What new info does the article bring to us? Nothing.
Does the article mention anything about the extra 30% [Hi Paul] of models Ford will introduce to the Aussie market? No. Should it? Yes because I'm sure Mr Farley will have a lot more to tell us when he gets here than just "Sorry to kill off your Falcon but have you guys heard of the Mustang?".
End result? The article is not newsworthy.
I've received the invite for the 13th and I'm planning to go. Good opportunity for me to compare what is actually said, and what hogwash the media provide.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The new Thunderbird. Is a dream... but with the Mustang ( and Camaro) actual sales about less than 100000 anually, a new coupe is redundant. Maybe a new luxury coupe, for Lincoln, is justified
Yes, a new T-bird would be redundant. Especially what with the new Torino coming out in 2016. You know, the 5 passenger, RWD midsize coupe that is built on a stretched and widened new Mustang platform. It'll be much larger than the new smaller Mustang pony car, so no overlap at all, and it will be large enough to do service as Ford's NASCAR entry. Didn't you get the memo?? Keep up, pally!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been rather harshly against a new Thunderbird of any description (tho it didn't keep me from chopping of course)
cuz
for me THE CONTINENTAL is infinitely more important
and would be "cannibalized"(imho) by a Tbird

BUT
maaaaybe the Navigator/Expe plans: Linky=advanced-drivetrains, Ford=v8;
could be applied with (my) "epitome class" cars too?

...the Falcon is darn close to the MKZ's dimensions
_wlb____ovl____w____h____
111.7 - 195.7 - 73.5 - 57.2 - FG Falcon
112.2 - 194.1 - 73.4 - 58.2 - MKZ
ANDbutTHO
I've seen it said without its Barra inline-6, the frontend could lose *more* than several inches in length
ie/imho darn close to the Mustang's current ovl
107.1 - 188.1 - 73.9 - 55.6...
so
a neo-FalconThunderContiBird, even based on the current Falcon's family-sized platform, could easily be anywhere from S197-length to at least the Fairlane's 115" wlb / 203" ovl
withOUT any further development

1 - 15 of 15 Posts