Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something as logical as taking the name of Mustang to expand that line beyond the coupe and convertible, it seems that it will materialize soon. A rumor suggests that it is on the way, in addition to the high-performance electric crsoover inspired by the Mustang, another with conventional or hybrid engine. And with the name "Mustang". If true, Ford would have a family of vehicles with the Mustang brand. A logical step that has had to be taken a long time ago.

https://www.motor1.com/news/306870/ford-mustang-electric-crossover-go-****/

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This idea is just as bad as a Corvette brand IMO. I just don't get dilluting a name to reap a few sales. Reminds me of how Dodge whored out the Charger name on a 4 door family sedan.

The same was said by Porsche enthusiasts when the Cayenne was launched. The rest is recent history ...

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've seen this rumor a couple times recently on various sites. That the Mustang "brand" would not only include the normal Mustang, but a 4 door "coupe" as well as the Mustang inspired EV and a Mustang inspired CUV.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen this rumor a couple times recently on various sites. That the Mustang "brand" would not only include the normal Mustang, but a 4 door "coupe" as well as the Mustang inspired EV and a Mustang inspired CUV.

Is a logical step to profits. Take the example of VW in China: The VW Jetta sedan is so popular that VW decided to open a sub-brand called Jetta for small and cheap vehicles, taking advantage of the success of that name.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The same was said by Porsche enthusiasts when the Cayenne was launched. The rest is recent history ...

Yes, but only that Porsche simply expanded their brand by using styling cues of the 911. A '911-inspired' styling like what Ford is doing with the Mach-E with 'Mustang-inspired'. Porsche did not make a subbrand of 911 into sedans and SUVs such as 911 Cayenne, 911 Panamera, 911 Macan, etc. They were separate vehicles in the Porsche brand with new names and had the 911-inspired styling. A huge difference.

I am okay with Ford taking an electric-powered crossover with Mustang styling and calling it Mach-E and market it as 'Mustang-inspired' as long as they don't actually call it a 4-door electric-powered Mustang crossover. I don't like the usage of the Mustang pony on the Mach-E (if it makes it to production) but it does seem like they are going to do this though. If Ford wants to make a non-electric ICE-powered version of the Mach-E but on CD6, they can do so but with another name and market it again as 'Mustang-inspired' crossover but emphasize that it is not a 4-door ICE-powered Mustang crossover.

I think the article is simply click-bait which seems to be working since there are so many people sharing the link and talking about it online. I see it all over Facebook where people are actually thinking it's true and confirmed. I think this was the same site that started the 4-door Mustang sedan rumor a while back which later turned out not true. So I guess they decided to step up the click bait game in order to get advertising revenues.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, but only that Porsche simply expanded their brand by using styling cues of the 911. A '911-inspired' styling like what Ford is doing with the Mach-E with 'Mustang-inspired'. Porsche did not make a subbrand of 911 into sedans and SUVs such as 911 Cayenne, 911 Panamera, 911 Macan, etc. They were separate vehicles in the Porsche brand with new names and had the 911-inspired styling. A huge difference.

I am okay with Ford taking an electric-powered crossover with Mustang styling and calling it Mach-E and market it as 'Mustang-inspired' as long as they don't actually call it a 4-door electric-powered Mustang crossover. I don't like the usage of the Mustang pony on the Mach-E (if it makes it to production) but it does seem like they are going to do this though. If Ford wants to make a non-electric ICE-powered version of the Mach-E but on CD6, they can do so but with another name and market it again as 'Mustang-inspired' crossover but emphasize that it is not a 4-door ICE-powered Mustang crossover.

I think the article is simply click-bait which seems to be working since there are so many people sharing the link and talking about it online. I see it all over Facebook where people are actually thinking it's true and confirmed. I think this was the same site that started the 4-door Mustang sedan rumor a while back which later turned out not true. So I guess they decided to step up the click bait game in order to get advertising revenues.
Is not as simple as you say. By 2002 when Porsche launched the Cayenne , the brand was selling one model: the 911. So, Porsche and 911 was almost sinonimous.

Take the current situation with Ford and the Mustang at the same form: how many cars will sell Ford in few months? One. The Mustang. And is as iconic as the 911. And Ford could make the same Porsche did by 2002.

And , if this make you feel better, a sub-brand could be something like this: Mach E, by Mustang or Capri, by Mustang . Is not neccesary that all models carry the Mustang name on it. In fact, you cant find a single badge with the name Mustang on the exterior body of the Mustang!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This idea is just as bad as a Corvette brand IMO. I just don't get dilluting a name to reap a few sales. Reminds me of how Dodge whored out the Charger name on a 4 door family sedan.
I'd rather see Corvette as a brand than have the C8 mid-engine Vette replace the classic front-engine layout completely. As for the Charger, I hated it early on in large part because it wasn't a good looking vehicle, but they've fixed that over the years. The Charger is a legit muscle car now, though I do wish they'd offer a two door version also.

As for Ford's rumored plans for a Mustang sub-brand, I'm not on board. Adding Mustang visual influence to their crossovers is one thing, branding them as a Mustang is another. I'd rather they just take the Mach 1 name and use that, it was my least favorite version of the Mustang so little is really lost from my perspective.

It's unfortunate that Lincoln will be using the Corsair name as it'd fit in for a Ford performance line vehicle given the Mustang wasn't really inspired by the horse, but rather the P-51. They could call the upcoming electric crossover the Lightning, and another could be the Thunderbolt! It's probably more than a little corny to go that direction, but there is no shortage of great names available if they did!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Is not as simple as you say. By 2002 when Porsche launched the Cayenne , the brand was selling one model: the 911. So, Porsche and 911 was almost sinonimous.

Take the current situation with Ford and the Mustang at the same form: how many cars will sell Ford in few months? One. The Mustang. And is as iconic as the 911. And Ford could make the same Porsche did by 2002.

And , if this make you feel better, a sub-brand could be something like this: Mach E, by Mustang or Capri, by Mustang . Is not neccesary that all models carry the Mustang name on it. In fact, you cant find a single badge with the name Mustang on the exterior body of the Mustang!
Just because you associated Porsche with 911 doesn't make your argument valid. They didn't make a 911SUV1, 911SUV2, 911sedan. They made their own separate models. Yes, those models' styling were influenced heavily by the 911, but it's completely different than a 911 sub-brand. Making MustangSUV, MustangSedan, etc. - a Mustang sub-brand would be the same situation. And I don't think it's necessary. Tie in to Mustang with styling? Go for it - absolutely. Making it a Mustang sub-brand - eh, I don't think it's a good idea. I think you only take away from the Mustang brand (name).

I'd rather see Corvette as a brand than have the C8 mid-engine Vette replace the classic front-engine layout completely. As for the Charger, I hated it early on in large part because it wasn't a good looking vehicle, but they've fixed that over the years. The Charger is a legit muscle car now, though I do wish they'd offer a two door version also.
On the other hand, I think Corvette is different. Corvette, to me, has always been "above and beyond" the rest of the Chevy lineup, and associated with Chevy only because that's who sells it, otherwise without much connection to the rest of the Chevy lineup. So here I could argue in favor of a limited Corvette sub-brand, with something like keeping the current front-engine model, and it'd be Corvette Stingray, while the mid engine model could be Corvette Zora.

That said, I'd be hesitant to expand it too much - do you make a Corvette SUV? Corvette sedan? I'd lean toward no.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
At one time, Porsche had all models starting with a 9...911, 914, 928, and 944

Reactions: glyphics

·
Registered
244 Posts
If Ford does make another sedan down the road, Dodge used Charger from a 2 dr coupe into a 4 dr sedan, I suggest Ford using Thunderbird as a possible name for the next sedan.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
So here I could argue in favor of a limited Corvette sub-brand, with something like keeping the current front-engine model, and it'd be Corvette Stingray, while the mid engine model could be Corvette Zora.

That said, I'd be hesitant to expand it too much - do you make a Corvette SUV? Corvette sedan? I'd lean toward no.
We're in agreement! I'd be all for a couple, maybe even three varieties of Corvette assuming they're all two seat sports cars. Front engined base model like always, mid-engined Ferrari 488 competitor, and a top end, limited production hypercar. And no to any crossovers!

·
Registered
10,940 Posts

The only thing that Mustang and Porsche have in common, is, well, absolutely nothing.
Porsche is a premium engineered sports car brand that people aspire to. Mustang is a value sports coupe. I could very easily be wrong, but I just don't think there is a market for Mustang inspired sedans or CUV's. But what do I know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. Thunderbird 2+2 No-touch electric roof
2. Mark: extend wheelbase (116-120"), no-touch roof, ALL THE TOYS.
Possible hard-shell winter roof with 'Opera' window - the old-fashion way
AND just a little wheel hump at the rear
Lastly Hood Ornaments that fold away and are relatively safe.
Bring it back!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Only if the sub-brand Mustang is positioned as a sporty, sedan/coupe-based brand. Ford and Lincoln have enough SUVs/trucks, etc. so another brand with more SUVs and trucks makes no sense; might as well revive Mercury.

Others here have remarked that getting into a low vehicle (I guess they call them sedans, huh) is a chore. Well, there is a demographic for whom that kind of "agility" is not a problem. I'm not of that demographic (I'm 75) but I have no problem climbing in and out of my sedan. Taller sedans coupes and convertibles would not offend me but the death of sedans is overstated. A lot of people like them.

Mustangs should be sporty and have no pretense for off-road performance. IMO, High riding, high COG vehicles shouldn't be associated with Mustang. Unfortunately, it seems that this Mustang-inspired truck flight has been cleared for takeoff.

·
Registered
866 Posts
We're in agreement! I'd be all for a couple, maybe even three varieties of Corvette assuming they're all two seat sports cars. Front engined base model like always, mid-engined Ferrari 488 competitor, and a top end, limited production hypercar. And no to any crossovers!
Yeah, I guess. Maybe, just maybe the Camaro might be better off as a Corvette rather than a Chevy - an indication of how far down the Chevrolet image has been allowed to fall.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't see Ford's image as lacking...even though the corporate communication has been incredibly bizarre of late.

I think Mustang traits can be cooked into other offerings without a "Mustang brand". I wouldn't be surprised to see the pony car's styling cues and other "DNA" showing up on other Ford performance offerings.

That said, I'd love variants that added awd and maybe a "shooting brake" variant...but that's simply because I'm a fan of Mustangs in the wet-road Pacific Northwest that regularly carries guitar gear around....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts