Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAZDA PLANNING MX-5 COUPE FOR UNITED STATES?
Mazda is seriously considering launching a Hard Top Coupe version of the popular MX-5 Miata to fit in along side the upcoming refresh of the MX-5 Miata Roadster.

Mazda is considering launching a coupe-variant of its MX-5 convertible in the U.S., a new report finds. Mazda produced a fixed-roof version of the last generation car, but it was only available in the Japanese market.

According to Best Car Magazine, the MX-5 coupe could hit the U.S. market as early as 2010. That date also coincides with the MX-5's refresh schedule, so Mazda could be planning the coupe to boost the car's sales late in its life cycle.

An MX-5 coupe also seems to make sense since there aren't really any cars to fill that niche. It is believed that General Motors is developing a fixed-roof version of the Pontiac Solstice, but outside of that, the rear-drive, four-cylinder coupe segment is wide open.
The scan above comes courtesy of Auto Otaku.com.

Mazda's MX-5 Miata is the little roadster that re-introduced us all to the fun that could be had in a small, lightweight, and powerfully fun roadster that offered all the best attributes in a winning package. It recalled the glory days of MGs and Triumphs and it thrilled and won over the child in all of us.

But every MX-5 to date has been a convertible with either a soft top, removable hard-top, or the new hard-top convertible variant. If the news out of Mazda in Hiroshima is correct...that may not be the case much longer.

Here is the full article, courtesy of my friends at Left Lane News.com.

I already know that the MX-5 is a blast to drive and is always the one that slaps a huge smile on the face of every critic that tests it. It always wins in Car and Driver and Motor Trend Magazine...but just think how much more rigid and stiff a Hard Top Coupe would be in the corners and how much less buffeting there would be...Mazdaspeed would have a field day with this and could certainly upstage the Pontiac Solstice GXP.

I do hope this proves to be true...it would be another big success for Mazda and could be the launch of a whole segment of new Four-Cylinder Sport Coupes.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I love the little MX-5 I think it's a great looking little car (of course I could never own one). But I would definitely like to see a coupe version of the MX-5 available in the U.S.A.

And it sure would be great if Ford could derive a new Mercury Capri from this.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It seems they will be just in time to go head to head with Pontiac Solstice Coupe. Its coming in summer I think according to _nsap_

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems they will be just in time to go head to head with Pontiac Solstice Coupe. Its coming in summer I think according to _nsap_
Though without question...I feel an MX-5 Coupe will look more like a small Porsche 911...where as the Pontiac Solstice looks like the old BMW Z3 Wagon/Hatch. I have my money on the MX-5 coupe.

This was the Solstice Coupe Concept:

This was the Solstice Shooting Brake Concept By EDAG:

This is the BMW Z3 Coupe:

All in all...I'm still looking forward to the MX-5 over the Solstice...especially in terms of the interior...the Mazda has always had the better interior against the Solstice and Sky.

This is the same scan added to post number one from Auto Otaku.com. Though it is based upon the current MX-5, I would agree with Left Lane News in speculating that the new Coupe would be derived off of the refreshed and re-styled MX-5 coming for 2010. Still...this is an impressive looking illustration and a great idea of what could be. Still looks like a mini Porsche 911 to me.

Also, what do you think the likelihood of a Mazda MX-5 Targa is? A hard top coupe is one step from the potential of a Targa...and that would be a stunner!

RG59061

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the basic car...add an Ecoboost 4...restyle, waterfall grille, little plusher interior...new Mercury Capri!

Just sayin'...but sayin' it LOUD

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take the basic car...add an Ecoboost 4...restyle, waterfall grille, little plusher interior...new Mercury Capri!

Just sayin'...but sayin' it LOUD
Zanadude...I love Airplane and Airplane 2...some of the funniest movies ever made and the Zucker Brothers are geniuses!

Just had to say that...also, your idea on the Capri...that wouldn't be bad at all, but I would hope for a Mercury Version of the European Spec Ford Focus Coupe/Cabriolet...that to me would be more of a Capri type car for Mercury.

RG59061

1 - 7 of 7 Posts