Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the AutoShow and thought I'd jot down some of my impressions and my unedited photo gallery while it's fresh.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4Grq0zwJFgieg

Ford and Lincoln had their usual displays, but most of the exhibitors had new displays and it all looked really well done. I noticed the exhibits are more walled-in and isolated from the others which makes some sense to control the environment visuals.

Ford's display is always well laid out and spacious with plenty of room to see the STUNNING GT, easily the best car in the show. Raptor and GT350 are also stunners. Surprised by how good looking the new Focus is in the SE appearance package. They had some really sharp Fusions on the floor, ones I typically don't see on the road. F-150 is quite a luxury vehicle now, kinda ordinary on the outside but very nice on the inside. Edge was unfortunately locked, and 2016 Explorer was on the turntable only. Edge looks fantastic, especially the Sport...the Titanium is a little bland. New Explorer looks okay, maybe a little bland form a distance but closer-up it's nicely done. Plenty of Mustangs around, but all of them had lines to sit in. They had a nice Ecoboost engine exhibit which I tried to photograph with a bunch of people standing in the way. Ford also had some heritage vehicles on display.

Lincoln display wasn't drawing as much attention as Ford but I thoroughly enjoyed the Black label lounge so I could FINALLY experience the difference. They had an MKC with the Indulgence package and it's stunning, the leathers are amazing and I think I'm sold on the difference. They had another lounge with the MKX Black Label, locked unfortunately. The upper deck had another locked MKX with a Shinola Detroit exhibit which I'm a fan of personally and thought it ironic that those worlds came together...they seem to be on point with their younger customers anyway. The MKX is a'right, I'll definitely grab one but it's not an outstanding design by any stretch. It lacks the sleek edge of the MKC or MKZ, I don't think the rear-end works because it it just looks flabby. The Navigator interior is incredibly bad, I was honestly surprised by how cheaply done the interior is with acres of hard bland plastics and outrageously tasteless design. It stands in such stark contrast to the newer Lincolns. MKZ is still one of the best looking sedans of any kind IMO, I can't praise that car's design enough. The MKT has Lincoln's most comfortable and poshest interior.

A car that really impressed and excited me was the Volvo XC 90 which is RIGHT next door to Lincoln, stunning interior and exterior design with the best infotainment system I've ever seen.

Chevy Volt looks like a more conventional modern compact, probably more approachable than before but nothing that interesting to look at. The Bolt concept is ugly with a strange squared greenhouse outback that resembles a big fishtank.

Chevy Colorado and Canyon are surprisingly cramped, I have to look at the headroom stats but the seat is low and feels more like a compact Crossover. I assume that's the side-effect of a smaller, shorter cab on-top of a frame. These are trucks that don't interest me at all personally.

Nissan Titan looks like a big gleaming truck much like the Detroit trucks, they do look much better in person than in photos but they also seem a bit clumsier and a couple years behind. Again, not my thing. The thing that put me off is the front overhang which probably could be cured if they wrapped the front around the fenders a bit more.

I check the new Murano and not impressed by the features and accommodations next to the Edge, although the Edge is also much more expensive. The Nissan Rogue is one of the better looking compact crossovers.

Jeep Grand Cherokee is still one of my favorite vehicles. Jeep Cherokee has a really spacious and nicely appointed interior compared Escape, although Escape has that sporting modern edge which is also appealing.

Porsche Macan is really sharp, so is Cayenne, the interiors are stunning to look at. The Germans never disappoint and it's amazing how quickly they keep advancing the state of the art in technology and design. Audi is by far the best designer at the show, just STUNNING cars inside and out, EVERY single one of them. The NEW Q7 is the notable down point, it doesn't impress in person with a blocky and bloated body. Caddy was positioned right next to the Germans and it did a pretty good job highlighting just how much farther Caddy has to go, especially in design and craftsmanship.

Infiniti surprised me the most, extremely good looking cars and possibly my favorite concept. I also checked out Acura and there is a distinct lack of luxury there, Lincoln certainly has them beat. Buick Avenir doesn't appeal to me at all, although Buick did have a very nice new display.

Mercedes design has improved significantly, it's amazing how quickly and successfully some luxury marques can turn themselves around.

Anyway, enjoy the photos!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: My AutoShow Impressions and Photo Gallery

The Navigator interior is incredibly bad, I was honestly surprised by how cheaply done the interior is with acres of hard bland plastics and outrageously tasteless design.
Ouch!... let's not start the Navigator War again.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

The Navigator interior is incredibly bad, I was honestly surprised by how cheaply done the interior is with acres of hard bland plastics and outrageously tasteless design. It stands in such stark contrast to the newer Lincolns. !
I posted in another thread in December about seeing the new 2015 Navi at the Tampa Auto show and the dash was completely hard plastic like the 2014 dash and NOT leather wrapped, and yes it was a 15 because it had push button start and the full width LED tail lamps and split grille. Was it the same for you? It makes me wonder if only higher end trims will get the leather wrapped dash.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts

I posted in another thread in December about seeing the new 2015 Navi at the Tampa Auto show and the dash was completely hard plastic like the 2014 dash and NOT leather wrapped, and yes it was a 15 because it had push button start and the full width LED tail lamps and split grille. Was it the same for you? It makes me wonder if only higher end trims will get the leather wrapped dash.
that is bad, it is incredible how Lincoln (or Ford) let the Navi fell so low in that segment.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts

Nice pics and I shared much of the same thoughts and opinions. Except Navigator. It looked exact like what it was, an adequate interim update. Borg over-reacted here with his over the top remarks. Short of the need for more soft touch around the doors, I saw a lavishly appointed luxury truck, not a car. Hardly the outrageously tasteless design he went on about.

And I get such a kick out of the mustang on it's side. I mush have stared at that for 10 min.

I am going again tomorrow. Industry day is strange, with people walking around with clip boards and dial calipers and scales and such. I am fascinated by peoples reactions.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Nice pics and I shared much of the same thoughts and opinions. Except Navigator. It looked exact like what it was, an adequate interim update. Borg over-reacted here with his over the top remarks. Short of the need for more soft touch around the doors, I saw a lavishly appointed luxury truck, not a car. Hardly the outrageously tasteless design he went on about.

And I get such a kick out of the mustang on it's side. I mush have stared at that for 10 min.

I am going again tomorrow. Industry day is strange, with people walking around with clip boards and dial calipers and scales and such. I am fascinated by peoples reactions.

And no, the Navigator looks bad, I mean offensively and obnoxiously bad. I can't overstate it enough. It is hands-down the worst in its class. Even a console shifter can't fix that. The Navigator is also weirdly narrow because of that slab-sided design, it encroaches on hip-room with flat square hard plastic door panels. The trim pieces on the door creak and move, the center console is a HUGE slab of flat black plastics with glossy/fake-looking wood. Nothing fits the dashboard, everything is too small so you're left with the look of poor workmanship and design. The Navigator remains a bad badge-job. Lincoln is much better than that vehicle now.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts

I sat in an Escalade and thought to myself, this is not worth $100K. That is my opinion. Does it have a nicer interior than the much cheaper Navi. Yeah. barely. Certainly not worth the price diff. That too is my opinion. You have yours.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I sat in an Escalade and thought to myself, this is not worth $100K. That is my opinion. Does it have a nicer interior than the much cheaper Navi. Yeah. barely. Certainly not worth the price diff. That too is my opinion. You have yours.
The Navigator goes up to the mid 70's with that interior. If I'm paying for that, it better have a nice interior...and it doesn't. The Denali and Suburban have nicer interiors, not to mention MORE LUXURY AMENITIES! The Navigator is an incredibly overpriced Expedition with no additional luxuries, you are not getting a bargain. Do not defend this vehicle, it's just a terrible Lincoln and not worth considering at any price. Get an Expy or one of the GM trucks instead. As a Lincoln fan the Navigator is a reminder of everything that I thought was behind them. I'm willing however to accept this as a stop-gap, but I will not give it ANY praise.

For the record I think the Escalade is an equally absurd vehicle, but it has certainly earned it's price premium compared to the Nav.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Andrew L said:
...seeing the new 2015 Navi at the Tampa Auto show and the dash was completely hard plastic like the 2014 dash and NOT leather wrapped ... wonder if only higher end trims will get the leather wrapped dash.
The Navigator goes up to the mid 70's with that interior. If I'm paying for that, it better have a nice interior...and it doesn't. The Denali and Suburban have nicer interiors, not to mention MORE LUXURY AMENITIES! The Navigator is an incredibly overpriced Expedition with no additional luxuries, you are not getting a bargain... I'm willing however to accept this as a stop-gap, but I will not give it ANY praise.

For the record I think the Escalade is an equally absurd vehicle, but it has certainly earned it's price premium compared to the Nav.
of the '15 Navi & sLade, I've only seen the Caddy once on the freeway - only got to try out (sit+drive) a new Chevy version...
imhos
-- the exterior I prefer the Navi hands-down (Max is a GENIUS); GM's look like sodden shoeboxes!
-- nothing to judge for the interiors BUT I woulda changed JUST the passenger side of the dash in the Navi, Slightly = taking away the 'cowl vizor'
-- I can accept fewer gizmos due to old wiringharness&etc
-- Price: we know Caddy went bonkers with upcharges ... don't care about toptrim/loaded much but the base Navi I'd've kept under $60k=$59,900max (2014=$56.165 2015=$61,480) just for pyschological pricepoint;
even for the nextgen AluNavi I hope to START under $65k=$64,990 (sLade=$71,695 now afaik)
plus
wish they coulda used the new gen2 version of the 3.5EB for only the Navi - wonder if that's possible for the 2016my?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

...the center console is a HUGE slab of flat black plastics with glossy/fake-looking wood...
wide consoles are a FoMoCo failing imho - gotta give VETO of interior-testers over 6'1"
(and What happened to testing rear toe-room using size 14 shoes!?!?!)

I wonder if glossy odd-grained wood (looks like pwood) is meant to keep older drivers??
tho I don't trust fotos for ^that^,
this BOTHERS me

1280x853

even tho I *do* approve of a STRONG/rich color to go with the black interior

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Surprised by how good looking the new Focus is in the SE appearance package.
Good photos as always, thanks for sharing.
Funny thing about the Focus appaearance package is that Ford does not call it the appearance package.
It is either the SE 1.0L EcoBoost Package or the SE Sport Package if equipped with the Powershift (auto).

The actual SE Appearance Package does not come with the body kit, but does add black bezel head lamp housing, and the front LED eyebrow strips, and nice 17" rims.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

Thanks for the pics, Borg!

I also think this updated Navigator is a terrible buy. I sat in one while I was in Baton Rouge a month ago. It was basically the same thing as the Platinum Expedition with a bit more wood....at just $73k! The current MKX has a much nicer interior. FYI, I can drive a new, fully equipped QX80 off the lot for $56k. That's a way better deal, and it has a much plusher interior than the Navigator. I hope the Navigator's sales continue to increase like it did last month or stabilize before the new MKX arrives.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

wide consoles are a FoMoCo failing imho - gotta give VETO of interior-testers over 6'1"
(and What happened to testing rear toe-room using size 14 shoes!?!?!)

I wonder if glossy odd-grained wood (looks like pwood) is meant to keep older drivers??
tho I don't trust fotos for ^that^,
this BOTHERS me

1280x853

even tho I *do* approve of a STRONG/rich color to go with the black interior

Glossy wood is an old favorite of Lincoln customers I'm sure, the open-pore wood is a more recent trend that I really like, especially in the MKX which puts the wood in touch areas of the center console. I opted for Aluminum in my current MKX which looks nice with the light gray interior. Personally I like the look of the Cappuccino Leather and Ash Swirl, especially when combined with the aluminum accents of the Harman Revel Ultima sound system. I'm less enthusiastic about Lincoln's use of painted plastic trim on the center console, I'd prefer some more chrome finishes similar to what the current MKX is doing. And Lincoln's touchscreen and LCD IP is still quite small for the business.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

finally got down to the COLORS!! :clap:

Ooooooo AllureBlue is DARK
&
which model gets TerraCotta leather??
&
wonder what color got removed from the blank spot???

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

is this the XC90?

That awkward moment when you spot yourself in Borg's photo album...
Mr.Zz, I'm barely half way thru Borg's mega-gallery and it sure seems like he foto'ed EVERYthing & EVERYone there that day
:angel

Hey, Borg
remember when you used to go thru your galleries and title EACH foto??

Link to Maserati
Link2
Link to Jag XE upholstery colors
Macan I think

= = = = = = = = = = =

very belated adding attachments
will put the XE upholstery colors in Mission:Lincoln and the [BlackLabel] thread...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

f
finally got down to the COLORS!! :clap:

Ooooooo AllureBlue is DARK
&
which model gets TerraCotta leather??
&
wonder what color got removed from the blank spot???

is this the XC90?

Mr.Zz, I'm barely half way thru Borg's mega-gallery and it sure seems like he foto'ed EVERYthing & EVERYone there that day
:angel

Hey, Borg
remember when you used to go thru your galleries and title EACH foto??

Link to Maserati
Link2
Link to Jag XS upholstery colors
Macan I think

LOL, doesn't look like the photo links came through. Try opening the images, right click, copy image link and you should be good.

And the Terra Cotta color will be available on the MKX without Black Label.

I use to label them all but it was far too time consuming, sorry :(.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts