Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weekends ago, I was able to take advantage of Lincoln's Date Night program with the new 2015 MKC. *For those of you that may not know quite how the program works, you sign up online and give them some basic info (name, address, current vehicle, etc), and the Date Night Headquarters determines your closest dealer and sets up a time for you to pick up the vehicle for 48 hours (or less if you prefer), and you receive a $100 gift card as part of the promotion.
Date Night Setup
I will begin this write-up with how it started - my experience of getting my Date Night set up. *One day, I drove by the local Lincoln dealer and saw they had a new MKC out front. *A salesperson came out and said that it was their Date Night unit, and he let me sit in it, and I told him I'd look into the Date Night. *Now, I've known about the program for the MKZ for some time, and I actually had received an email invitation to participate in the program with the MKZ in the past but have not done it (I'm assuming it came because I signed up for email updates, etc.). *I originally went to Lincoln's website to find more information on it, and could not find anything. *I then Googled the program and found information at a separate website, www.lincolnmkzdatenight.com (the previously mentioned email also included a link to this page). *This leads me to believe that it's not their intention to let anybody and everybody that visits the Lincoln website participate in the program. *When I looked at the Date Night webpage, it only had information about the doing the Date Night program with the MKZ, and nothing to be found on the MKC.
This led me to using Lincoln's concierge feature, in which you talk with a representative "instant message" style, asking them whatever you might like to know. *I inquired about how to sign up for the Date Night with the MKC. *The representative was very polite and helpful - she was not entirely sure how to get it set up with the MKC (since the website only has the MKZ), but took down my information and said she would contact me the next day with more information. *Just as promised, she called me the next day saying the program was indeed available for the MKC, but the website has not yet been updated to reflect that (it still has not been - I believe they're waiting for more Date Night units to arrive at dealers before launching the website). *She offered to contact the Date Night Headquarters on my behalf to begin the setup process. *A day or two later, someone from the Date Night Headquarters contacted me to set up a date to pick the vehicle up. *Originally they had asked if I wanted to sign up for the end of July, as they were not sure if the vehicle was at the dealer yet for them to loan out. *I told them I had seen it at the dealer, and asked if it were possible to use it earlier; they called the next day saying it was and I could take it that weekend if I wanted (I did). *Just provide your license and proof of insurance, and you're good to go!
Overall, I'd say getting it set up was initially a confusing process, however the degree to which the Lincoln Concierge and Date Night Headquarters representatives were willing to help find information and contact the appropriate people made it a positive experience. *I also realize that they are just getting the vehicle to dealers, so certain aspects of the process, such as the MKC being featured on the website (similar to a lack of advertising of it to this point) will be fixed in the near future making it a more streamlined process. *
They include this booklet that encloses the $100 gift card. *

Now, moving on to the vehicle itself.....
First Impressions
One note before I begin - I will include some pictures here within my comments, but will also include a link to a Photobucket album that features all the pictures I took, as I don't want to post too many here.
The MKC I received had White Platinum paint, the 19" wheels, and a black interior, and 2.0L EcoBoost motor. *It featured almost all of the available options, with the biggest exceptions being the larger 2.3L EcoBoost engine, and the available 20" wheels (only available with the 2.3L EB).
First impression of the vehicle as I walk up to it is that it's a great looking little crossover. *I've loved the design since I saw the concept in Detroit last year, with my only production complaint being the lack of integrated exhausts - a la the MKZ - but that's not the end of the world. *I think the front end is the best interpretation of Lincoln's split wing grille yet. *It's nicely proportioned and fits well with the rest of the design. *

The daytime running lights look nice - there's LED piping within the headlight cluster that are on along with the LED "fog lights" (they aren't considered fog lights but are in a traditional fog light place) to form the DRLs.

Moving to the rear of the vehicle, I'm definitely a fan of the full-width taillight bar; the clamshell liftgate allows for it to be uninterrupted across the entire panel. *As I mentioned previously, the only knock I have on the rear (or really the whole design) is the lack of the integrated exhaust - I think that would've helped set it over the top, but it's not a deal-breaker. *

Some of you might be wondering what the lights in the rear bumper do - normally, they just function as the rear side marker. *However, if for whatever reason you have the liftgate open (say you have a large item that won't allow it to close entirely), those lights in the bumper (white part) function as running and brake lights.

Exterior-wise this MKC looks absolutely nothing like the more frumpy and upright Escape. *It's much more sleek, elegant, and expensive looking. *I think they did a great job differentiating the two.
Moving to the interior...as previously mentioned, this particular model had almost all of the bells and whistles to play around with, but I will get to those more in a minute. *Interior materials were of a high quality. *There were soft touch pieces all over (aside from lower parts of the cabin you wouldn't touch anyway). *This particular model (and I believe all models) featured real wood trim without a glossy finish, which I feel makes it seem more real compared to when they have real wood trim that has a glossy finish on it; it also had real metal aluminum trim, helping the premium feel of the cabin. *The seats were comfortable and supportive as well, with 12-way power seats, as well as the heated and cooled functions (the latter very helpful down here in South Florida, especially with a black interior). *The center console was at a shallower angle than I am used to, but that's not a knock against the vehicle, just an observation. *One knock on interior materials could be the silver trim around the center console - this is just a gray somewhat shiny plastic, and looks out of place with the real metal trim right next to it. *No deal breaker or anything, but still, it cheapens the interior just slightly.
In a vehicle this size especially, the push-button shifter is a beneficial thing. *Pushing buttons to change gears takes a bit of getting used to (I found myself reaching for the non-existent shifter multiple times), but is obviously a simple process. *Eliminating the traditional shifter opens up more storage room on the center console area where there isn't much room to begin with (simply because it's a small vehicle). *As you all know, they went back to traditional buttons for the controls. *They don't look like anything special, but function exactly as expected, and for features like the heated and cooled seats especially, are much more practical than a potential menu switch or two within My Lincoln Touch (depending on what screen you were on).

I did not take a picture of it, but I was told rear legroom was a bit tight (both me and my rear occupants are right around 6'0" tall). *I probably could've moved the chair up a bit more, but adjustable pedals would've been helpful in that regard. *Cargo space behind the second row seemed like a good amount to carry various items. *You won't fit huge items in there without putting the back seat down, but for most everyday items you might carry, it'd work fine. *The panoramic Vista roof is a great feature - covering almost the entire cabin, it really lets a lot of light in.

I am a huge fan of little details that show that attention to detail and extra effort to make something special. *The MKC has a few features that most may not even notice, but I thought were really cool little things. *The first two I mention, I will not include pictures but just describe (pictures can be found in the gallery I will post a link to). *One is the push button start - when you hop in the car and look at it before you start it, you can see it pulsating - not a necessary thing, but a cool little feature I liked. *Another involves the ambient lighting. *Yeah, the ambient lighting by itself is pretty cool, but the little detail they've added to it stood out to me. *In addition to the lights in the footwell and such, the MKC has lights in the door handles and lower side pockets. *So let's say you had the ambient lighting on the light blue color. * When you open a door, that door's ambient lighting switches to red to show you it's open (obviously it doesn't work on red). *Again, not a necessary feature, but a cool little detail touch I noticed.
The last I'll mention, and perhaps my favorite of them all occurs when approaching the car. *Using the proximity key, the car knows you are coming, and illuminates the running lights front and back (as well as the lights in the exterior door handles, and displays the Lincoln welcome mat from a projector on the mirror housings. *I believe the Mustang has a similar setup with the Mustang emblem. *Just little details that help set the car apart.

Driving Impressions
This particular MKC had the 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder. *While not super fast, it accelerated well, and I didn't find myself needing more power - having more could make it more fun, but the 2.0 is perfectly capable in this application. *I didn't end up on too many twisty roads (there aren't many down here), but it handled well and I could see its potential for a sporty ride as has been mentioned by the magazine reviews. *I tested out the different Lincoln Drive Control settings - Comfort, Normal, and Sport. *While more difficult to tell the difference between the Normal and either of the two other settings, the difference between Comfort and Sport was definitely noticeable. *Going from Comfort to Sport, you could feel the ride become more firm and responsive, whereas going from Sport to Comfort, you feel it become more floaty (for lack of a better word) and relaxed. *No matter which setting it was in, the ride was quiet and composed. *You can barely hear the engine at idle, and road noise when cruising along was minimal. *In the gallery I'm linking to, there is a picture of some of the sound deadening foam that can be seen just ahead of the front doors behind the quarter panel (when the door is opened), showing some of the effort they went through to make the car quiet.
On the mileage front, this model had AWD, so it's rated at 19/26. *All told in the ~150 miles or so I put on the car, I averaged somewhere in the 19's (I don't remember the exact figure, and don't have a picture of when I turned it in). *That includes both city and highway driving, as well as stepping on it from stoplights, and sitting in the car playing with the features and such. *I believe that the mileage ratings are achievable in this car with just driving normally.
Overall driving impressions were that it's a very capable and composed vehicle that has plenty of power in base engine form, with seemingly attainable mileage figures.
Electronics/Features
I decided to go ahead and give electronics their own section. *Let's begin with the elephant in the room - My Lincoln Touch. *While I have not experienced the system on a day-to-day basis, this was not my first time experiencing My Lincoln Touch (I've been around the identical My Ford Touch some in my dad's Explorer Sport). *Therefore, I am familiar the general setup and how it works, but I am not familiar enough with it to know where all the features are located. *From that perspective, or looking at it from a viewpoint of someone not at all familiar with it, I can understand why someone could get confused with it. *However, as I have said all along, if someone takes 10-15 minutes to sit there and actually explore the various menus and submenus, it becomes much easier to navigate as you become familiar with where things are located. *I do think the return of physical buttons for features like the heated/cooled seats help with reducing complexity/unnecessary steps. *For instance, say I'm on the radio page on the main screen, and I wanted to turn my cooled seat on. *In my dad's Explorer (or other MFT/MLT vehicles to this point), you'd have to first click on the climate or home button to get to that menu before you could turn the seat on. *With the physical buttons, you don't even have to use the screen, just click the button. *Overall, various features of the system will probably never get used by the majority of people. *Taking some time to explore the system vastly helps with understanding it. *Is the system perfect? *No, absolutely not, but I don't think it's as terrible as the magazines make it out to be. *Hopefully Ford's next system will be much better.
Moving onto other electronic gizmos and features....the foot activated liftgate worked as advertised for the most part - sometimes it wouldn't work properly, but that was when I was sitting there playing with it, which you wouldn't do in normal operation. *This would be a great feature to have - I can't tell you how many times I come up to the car with a bunch of stuff in my hands, only to have to put something down so I can get the key out to unlock the car/open the liftgate (mine is pre-proximity key).
Adaptive Cruise Control I have used before, and it worked the same in this application - it keeps the distance between you and the car in front of you, and will slow the vehicle down if necessary all the way to 15 or 20 mph before telling you to take over. *VERY handy feature on road trips, I might add.
Lane Keep Assist - it has multiple settings - alert, aid, and alert+aid. *The alert just vibrates the steering wheel. *The aid (and alert+aid) will actually move the car back into the lane if you begin to drift. *I tried it on multiple occasions, and it worked, though if you drift over too fast, it won't do it well. *Also, in intersections where there are no lines, it obviously doesn't work.
Park Assist - for those of you that have not experienced this, it's still a pretty crazy experience to have the car turn the wheel for you. *When playing with the system, it worked well for the most part. *It would sometimes mess up if I would move into the space too quickly (the turning would get thrown off to where there wasn't enough space to cut back into the spot parallel to the curb, if that makes sense), but operating it at a normal parking speed, it worked perfectly. *This is also Ford's first application of Parallel Park Out Assist, where you push the button and it guides you out of the space. *This worked as well, with the only odd thing being that once it turns the wheel at the necessary angle to get you out of the spot and you begin going for a second or two, it shuts off, so that you're left facing at a 45 degree angle to other traffic when you have to take control of the wheel. *In other words, it does not turn you parallel into the lane, it just turns you out of the space, and has you take over to turn yourself parallel into the lane of traffic.
Link to video of using parallel park assist ---> http://vid585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/rmc523/Lincoln%20MKC%20Date%20Night/501BF6B6-052F-4394-9264-F0F2AC32D6F3_zps5nwelprr.mp4
Pricing
I didn't take a picture of the window sticker, but I remember the price being right around $47,000 for this model. *It had most options except the 2.3L EB, the 20" wheels, and the THX sound system. *At first glance, that seems like a lot for a small vehicle like this, but when looking at competitors that don't even offer some of these features, yet still cost thousands more, I think it seems to be a fair price in the marketplace.
Overall/Wrap-up
Overall, I was really impressed with the vehicle. *It drove very nicely, had plenty of power even in base form, and looks fantastic. * Fit and finish/quality looked great as far as I could see. *All the technology and options added to both the experience and pricepoint, but several could be removed without being missed and could lower the price if that were an issue. *While it's been a while since I've driven an Escape, this vehicle is worlds better than its' Ford counterpart in every way (as it should be). *As the first fully differentiated product from Lincoln, it's setting a great tone for the future of the brand. *I think it will be a great seller for Lincoln - it has the pieces to be a very successful vehicle I think, now it just needs some recognition and word of mouth. *The Date Night program seems to be a great way to get some people to experience Lincoln's new products, and it was a fun experience that no other manufacturer is doing. *I see both helping to contribute to the rebirth of Lincoln over time.
Here is a link to a gallery of pictures and videos I took of my experience with the 2015 MKC -*http://s585.photobucket.com/user/rmc523/library/Lincoln%20MKC%20Date%20Night?sort=2&page=1
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the MKC and/or the Date Night program and I'll try my best to answer them!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
THANKS for posting here, Rmc :thumb:
excellent review! :joyous:

&
I did think of a few questions

-- since you have a Flex,
How did you feel about the size difference? ...ie mainly about the handling and 'threading' a much smaller Cuv thru the streets?
...Would you consider something this size? (dunno know if larger is your usual)

-- whether or not you're in shopping mode yourself,
How much 'added value' do you think the greatly-extended drive time has over an ordinary test-drive? ...did your impression of the MKC change from approx. first 10 mins ?
...after DateNighting, do you feel more certain about To-whom and for What-requirements YOU would recommend the C?
...Anything you'd warn a friend about?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS for posting here, Rmc :thumb:
excellent review! :joyous:

&
I did think of a few questions

-- since you have a Flex,
How did you feel about the size difference? ...ie mainly about the handling and 'threading' a much smaller Cuv thru the streets?
...Would you consider something this size? (dunno know if larger is your usual)

-- whether or not you're in shopping mode yourself,
How much 'added value' do you think the greatly-extended drive time has over an ordinary test-drive? ...did your impression of the MKC change from approx. first 10 mins ?
...after DateNighting, do you feel more certain about To-whom and for What-requirements YOU would recommend the C?
...Anything you'd warn a friend about?
You're welcome :)

Regarding the size difference - it was definitely a bit different being in a smaller car - it was a lot easier to park (not that mine is hard to park, just less maneuvering necessary). And obviously there's a lot less room than something like the Flex. I have been thinking of getting a smaller vehicle next go around, so that was another reason I wanted to drive this. The MKC was certainly capable and comfortable, but rear seat passengers might appreciate and Edge/MKX more....I might be leaning more that way as well (toward the Edge/MKX), not at all because of problems with the car, just from a personal standpoint a slightly larger car might work better for me.

I am not currently in any sort of serious shopping mode - more a sort of preliminary/exploratory looking around mode.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say my impression "changed" after the first 10 minutes (which was positive, btw), but you can notice more with an extended drive. For instance, you're able to take the vehicle in different situations or road types that you won't get on a normal test drive - be it highway driving, parking, rough roads, parallel parking, etc. etc. - whereas many dealers have a specific route they have you go on "for safety reasons." Plus you don't have to worry about having a salesperson there with you, and can explore the car as you please. I think it's definitely worth it over a traditional test drive.

I'd say its' expected market I suppose - those looking to either downsize from a larger vehicle (luxury or non-luxury), or looking to step up into a luxury vehicle.

I suppose the only "warning" I could give would be to pay attention to the options if price is a limiting factor - the option packages can make the price jump up quickly, but I think (at least according to Lincoln's build and price feature) many of them can be chosen individually, meaning you can pick and choose ones you want to help keep the price down to an extent. Otherwise, I can't think of much in the way of warnings.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I have been thinking of getting a smaller vehicle next go around, so that was another reason I wanted to drive this. The MKC was certainly capable and comfortable, but rear seat passengers might appreciate and Edge/MKX more....I might be leaning more that way as well (toward the Edge/MKX)...

...I suppose the only "warning" I could give would be to pay attention to the options if price is a limiting factor - the option packages can make the price jump up quickly, but I think (at least according to Lincoln's build and price feature) many of them can be chosen individually, meaning you can pick and choose ones you want to help keep the price down to an extent. Otherwise, I can't think of much in the way of warnings.
re-TY :thumb: &
since you haven't been here lately, let me invite you to take a look at some CD4/CD4+ whitespace Cuvs speculated recently in Mission:Lincoln...
...at least if you find something like a Porsche Macan (or a BIG brother to it) interesting

re: pricing - I've posted a number of times about wanting Lincoln to re-think its trim/option packaging
(repeating part of my post elsewhere yesterday....)
"...it's my impression that Lincoln has perfected "potatochip packaging" with the MKC...
...imho if one doesn't limit himself to base (Premiere no pkgs), the options/trims tho not unreasonably priced, are 'assorted' to always require one-more-step to get the most desirable features...
...imho
(in my case: Espresso/WhiteSands or Hazelnut interior & Adaptive Cruise...
...& [BlackLabel] will prolley force me even higher!) "

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Thanks for yor post. The review is better than anything from a traditional car magazine. Full details and pictures. In those pics the car looks gorgeous... really atractive.

I love the MK C! It will be a great succes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Excellent write-up, appreciate the details.

I got to drive one last week while getting my oil changed on the MKX. Coming from an top-trim MKX I'm a little spoiled I think, but I'm impressed by the driving dynamics (just as I am in my Escape Titanium). There is a pretty significant difference in the NVH between the Escape and MKC and it certainly feels more lively than the MKX I'm use to which is more twitchy on rough roads. The interior feels more spacious than the Escape and the seats are vastly more comfortable with better shoulder support (Escape chairs are just too small for me).

The exterior of the vehicle is not as premium as the interior, the exterior is basically a version of the Escape design, right down to the chunky door handles, black plastic, and molten poorly defined sheet metal sculpting. It's not a terribly sophisticated design, definitely won't be confused with a German vehicle with it's Escape proportions and long wide front overhangs and over-abundance of trim and chrome pieces. The design is attractive enough but surprisingly ordinary, I don't feel that way about the MKZ which I think is a standout.

The interior is more interesting, still strongly dislike the switchgear throughout the vehicle but the dash and door-trim (especially in Hazelnut) looks and feels nice, maybe not as premium as the MKX I own but it's about right for the segment (or better really). The dash-top is really busy to look down upon, which is typical Ford design lately, but the materials look quality.

The features are pretty familiar to an MKX or Escape Titanium owner. Push-button transmission is surprisingly intuitive, not at all strange. The IP is quite nice to look at, but I actually find the dual-display interface more functional and intuitive in the MKX. The approach lighting and ambient lighting was hard to really appreciate in the daylight but I bet it's nice.

It's definitely not something I would give up my MKX for at this point, my MKX is far more spacious and comfortable with a more premium interior design with that massive opening in the roof, the MKC just has a standard roof with a big glass panel over the rear passengers, not tremendously valuable to me. The MKC probably drives better around the corners than my MKX, but so does the MKZ and that's because it's so much lower...which I don't really want. I also dislike the lack of seat-fold option from the cargo area, something I use often in the Edge, MKX, Explore, etc. (I'm actually shocked this isn't there, you have to go to each seat and manually fold them up instead from the levers and buttons on the sides.

I still need to drive the 2.3L version of this car, the performance is otherwise very similar to the Escape titanium with better road isolation (which makes a big difference). It's really quiet and solid feeling, maybe not as quiet as my MKX since I heard more road noise in the MKC, but it's a solid experience. I may also like the design of the MKC better when I see it in 20" wheels.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for yor post. The review is better than anything from a traditional car magazine. Full details and pictures. In those pics the car looks gorgeous... really atractive.

I love the MK C! It will be a great succes.
Haha, maybe I should be a car reviewer. I just like being thorough, and pictures always help show something better.

Excellent write-up, appreciate the details.
The exterior of the vehicle is not as premium as the interior, the exterior is basically a version of the Escape design, right down to the chunky door handles, black plastic, and molten poorly defined sheet metal sculpting. It's not a terribly sophisticated design, definitely won't be confused with a German vehicle with it's Escape proportions and long wide front overhangs and over-abundance of trim and chrome pieces. The design is attractive enough but surprisingly ordinary, I don't feel that way about the MKZ which I think is a standout.

The interior is more interesting, still strongly dislike the switchgear throughout the vehicle but the dash and door-trim (especially in Hazelnut) looks and feels nice, maybe not as premium as the MKX I own but it's about right for the segment (or better really). The dash-top is really busy to look down upon, which is typical Ford design lately, but the materials look quality.

The features are pretty familiar to an MKX or Escape Titanium owner. Push-button transmission is surprisingly intuitive, not at all strange. The IP is quite nice to look at, but I actually find the dual-display interface more functional and intuitive in the MKX. The approach lighting and ambient lighting was hard to really appreciate in the daylight but I bet it's nice.

I also dislike the lack of seat-fold option from the cargo area, something I use often in the Edge, MKX, Explore, etc. (I'm actually shocked this isn't there, you have to go to each seat and manually fold them up instead from the levers and buttons on the sides.
No problem - glad to do it.

I have to disagree with you on the overall design - I think they did a good job with it, and prefer it to its German competition (the Q5 is the only one close for me), but then again, I generally prefer more understated designs (this coming from a Flex owner haha). I'll agree, there are some aspects of the design that could be improved, such as the exhaust outlets, and such, but as a whole I think it's a good design.

I understand your comment about the dual display in the gauge cluster - coming from using the Explorer's version, it takes a bit of getting used to, but it works fine.

I did notice there wasn't a release lever in the back, which I agree would be somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
This is a meaningful review and one the car companies should be promoting more. Instead of the meaningless ones IMO of the Car&Driver stuff whom the reviewers have little or nothing at all to do with the demographic group who really buy cars.

Car rag journalists have there merits, but for a very select niche demograhic group of buyers.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I guess if I had to choose between an MKC and the new Edge, I would probably choose the Edge assuming they price up the same with the same features. That's where I'm coming from right now. I hate to know how much more expensive the next MKX will be if the MKC is asking this much for what I consider to be a lesser vehicle than the current MKX (which is admittedly more expensive still). This segment tends to feel overpriced at the top-end, the Audi Q5 can get ridiculously expensive relative to its base pricing. As far as I'm concerned, cost is not a concern with the next MKX, it just needs to arrive in a timely fashion so I can make it my next lease vehicle, ha! I'm planing for a $56K top-tier MKX. (and hopefully it's not ugly)

The MKC is quite nice, it will do well for Lincoln, I've already seen quite a few of them on the road.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
re-arrarranged into 3 categories - as I see them...

• The exterior of the vehicle is not as premium as the interior, the exterior is basically a version of the Escape design, right down to the chunky door handles, black plastic ... It's not a terribly sophisticated design...
...The design is attractive enough but surprisingly ordinary...
...I may also like the design of the MKC better when I see it in 20" wheels.

• The interior feels more spacious than the Escape and the seats are vastly more comfortable with better shoulder support...
...the vehicle is not as premium as the interior...
...The interior is more interesting ... the dash and door-trim (especially in Hazelnut) looks and feels nice, maybe not as premium as the MKX I own but it's about right for the segment (or better really). The dash-top is really busy to look down upon, which is typical Ford design lately, but the materials look quality.
...The IP is quite nice to look at...

• I got to drive one last week ... I'm impressed by the driving dynamics... There is a pretty significant difference in the NVH between the Escape and MKC and it certainly feels more lively than the MKX I'm use to...
...The MKC probably drives better around the corners than my MKX, but so does the MKZ and that's because it's so much lower...
...I still need to drive the 2.3L version of this car, the performance is otherwise very similar to the Escape titanium with better road isolation (which makes a big difference). It's really quiet and solid feeling, maybe not as quiet as my MKX since I heard more road noise in the MKC, but it's a solid experience...
EXTERIOR imho is a matter of personal preference (tho one I still believe I can judge from photos)
so
I'm sorry it doesn't impress Borg more but I see no resemble to the Escape AND like it much more AND find it quite upscale

INTERIOR oddly enough I'd take ANY actual person's opinion over what photos can show ... ESP regarding an impression of Luxury
so
I'm very happy to hear that this was received favorably!

DRIVE goes back to preference mostly imho; given that knowledgeable drivers CAN agree on Comfort-vs-Sport-handling...
tho imho 'many' average drivers can NOT tell other than, "Oooo that bump felt harsh" or "Oooo taking that curve at that speed was scary".
I just wish CCD was STD on every Lincoln!!
(plus that any Fords that get it use different nomenclature ("Sport-Ø, Sport-1, Sport-2") as well as physical/software SETTINGS geared to Lincoln's DNA as well as the individual vehicle's geometry)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I own an Escape Titanium and approaching the MKC is very much like approaching the Escape Titanium; the design, craftsmanship, fit & finish, proportion is all very familiar. Despite not sharing much, they still look like they came from the same studio and factory, the MKC could literally just be a variation of the Escape and not something next-level. That's not the case with Fusion and MKZ, there is a much bigger tangible difference. I think from a design perspective, they certainly don't look the same but they feel the same, it's a little like the difference between a Chevy and Buick...they might as well share a studio if not a body panel. The difference between a Chevy and Caddy however is massive in every detail.

The experience on the interior is distinctly Lincoln, not Ford...especially not Euro-Ford (closer to North American Ford). it's peaceful and graceful, not over designed with varying degrees of plastic finishes. I would buy the car on the interior, not the exterior.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I own an Escape Titanium and approaching the MKC is exactly like approaching the Escape, the design, craftsmanship, fit & finish, proportion is all nearly identical. Despite not sharing much, they still look like they came from the same studio and parts-bin. That's not the case with Fusion and MKZ, there is a much bigger tangible difference. I think from a design perspective, they certainly don't look the same but they feel the same, it's a little like the difference between a Chevy and Buick...they might as well share a studio if not a body panel.

The experience on the interior is much different between the Escape and MKC
Your post in contrary to about every single review published on the internet.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I see no physical resemblance between the MKC and Escape outside of the profile which the whole compact CUV segment shares.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a meaningful review and one the car companies should be promoting more. Instead of the meaningless ones IMO of the Car&Driver stuff whom the reviewers have little or nothing at all to do with the demographic group who really buy cars.

Car rag journalists have there merits, but for a very select niche demograhic group of buyers.
Yeah, I don't understand the whole interest in 0-60 times and slalom speeds yadda yadda for a vehicle like this - sure you can include them in a review, but to the majority of the buying public, they mean nothing. I just wanted to share my experience with the vehicle - how it drives in everyday situations, etc. Glad you liked how I wrote it up.

I own an Escape Titanium and approaching the MKC is very much like approaching the Escape Titanium; the design, craftsmanship, fit & finish, proportion is all very familiar. Despite not sharing much, they still look like they came from the same studio and factory, the MKC could literally just be a variation of the Escape and not something next-level. That's not the case with Fusion and MKZ, there is a much bigger tangible difference. I think from a design perspective, they certainly don't look the same but they feel the same, it's a little like the difference between a Chevy and Buick...they might as well share a studio if not a body panel. The difference between a Chevy and Caddy however is massive in every detail.

The experience on the interior is distinctly Lincoln, not Ford...especially not Euro-Ford (closer to North American Ford). it's peaceful and graceful, not over designed with varying degrees of plastic finishes. I would buy the car on the interior, not the exterior.
I won't keep saying it over and over again, but I have to disagree completely with you feeling the Escape and MKC seem the same from the outside. Granted, you have more experience around the Escape than I do, but saying it's the same because the door handles are similar sizes? They just look nothing alike to me (aside from the basic CUV shape as another poster mentioned).

Interior, I absolutely agree with you there - I very much prefer the simplicity and much cleaner design of the MKC compared to any of the Euro-Ford originated models - they try to go too far adding "details" and "interest" and it ends up making it too busy for my liking. That's one of the reasons I dislike the Escape, in fact.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Nah, they look very similar despite sharing nothing. They have the same profile, same greenhouse shape, same wrap-around shoulder/hip design, same overall cab-forward windshield with the low cowl, same matte plastic body trim and wheel wells arches, same boxy door handles low on the door, same fit & finish and trim materials, and the same style of sheet metal sculpting (round and soft instead of lean and precise). They may as well just shared a studio. If the MKC was built on a RAV4, Tiguan, or Evoque, the design would have looked much different than the Escape-based MKC.

Ultimately, in photographs, they don't look the same. But you put them side by side and you can see it right away. There isn't a leveling-up with the MKC design like there is with the MKZ IMO. It still looks and feels like the Escape Titanium (again until you hop inside).

I know the MKC will be successful, but I reject the notion that it's somehow more different than the MKZ is to Fusion, MKS to Taurus, MKT to Flex, etc.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Nah, they look very similar despite sharing nothing. They have the same profile, same greenhouse shape, same wrap-around shoulder/hip design, same overall cab-forward windshield with the low cowl, same matte plastic body trim and wheel wells arches, same boxy door handles low on the door, same fit & finish and trim materials, and the same style of sheet metal sculpting (round and soft instead of lean and precise). They may as well just shared a studio. If the MKC was built on a RAV4, Tiguan, or Evoque, the design would have looked much different than the Escape-based MKC.

Ultimately, in photographs, they don't look the same. But you put them side by side and you can see it right away. There isn't a leveling-up with the MKC design like there is with the MKZ IMO. It still looks and feels like the Escape Titanium (again until you hop inside).

I know the MKC will be successful, but I reject the notion that it's somehow more different than the MKZ is to Fusion, MKS to Taurus, MKT to Flex, etc.

You need some new glasses..... The MK C and the Escape have nothing in common in the exterior... nothing. You are alone with those impresions...
The MKC , when you see it from the rear quarter, have more in common with the Audi Q5, because both have similar clamshell tailgate...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts