Ford Inside News banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attachment below outlines the lineup (and potential platforms they would be on) I would feature with Volvo. The new lineup covers basically the entire market from small cars (Focus size) to large cars (750 Li, etc size).
  • The C class cars stay basically the same, with the addition of the IIRC already coming C30 5-door (named C50 in my list).
  • The S class cars are basically the same, except everything moves up a size, and the intro of a new S20, which will fill the gap vacated by the S40, but will be slightly smaller than the current S40. The S80 becomes even larger (and moves with the S60 to GRWD) and more luxurious to truly compete with the 7's and LS's of the world.
  • The V class cars, remain couterparts as they are now to the S class cars and like the S class' move up a size (V50-S40, V70-S60, V90-S80), and add a luxurious V90 to the lineup, while the V70 goes to the S60, instead of the S80.
  • The XC lineup adds an XC30, which is X3/RDX size, while the XC60 becomes Edge/MKX size. The XC90, now on GRWD is slightly larger than the current model.
  • New to the Volvo lineup is the XV/XS/M (for minivan) (I'm not sure on a name) minivan class. There are two models here, the XV/XS/M 60 and the XV/XS/M 90. The XV/XS/M 60 fits in between the XC60 and the V90, while the XV/XS/M 90 (on the D4 platform) is a traditional Odyssey, etc. size minivan.
NOTE: The heiarchy of all models can be seen on the bottom of the attachment, going from smallest to largest, left to right.

The R performance line will be reborn as a true performance upgrade, rather than the appearance package it's become.
Models eligible for R treament are: C30, C70, S40, S60, V50, V70, XC60 and XC90. The S80 may or may not be given the R treatment.

The new Volvo will remain more of an entry level luxury company as it is now, while Lincoln (yes, Lincoln) will become Ford's luxury brand (and will expand globally), but Volvo will have a few shots (S80/V90) into the luxury market. It will emphasize fuel efficiency, safety, technology, design, and in so-equipped vehicles (the R models), performance, in the following ways:
  • Fuel efficiency:
    -All models will feature an "aerodynamics" option (similar to GM's new XFE package), which will feature more aerodynamic trim pieces, etc to increase fuel efficiency.
    -Ford will share it's hybrid technologies with Volvo.
    -Assuming the C2 can be fitted with a Hybrid option, all models except S60, S80, V70, V90, and XC90 will have a hybrid option (and those are excluded only because they're RWD, and I don't believe Ford has a hybrid application available for RWD.
    -Higher end models will use more lightweight parts, including aluminum and in some cases carbon fiber to reduce weight
  • Safety:
    -Volvo will continue developing multiple safety features as they have for decades and will equip all models with them as at least optional if not standard.
  • Technology:
    -Volvo will receive a version of SYNC and Sirius Travel Link to allow it to better compete with other brands who don't offer SYNC.
    -Volvo will utilize all sorts of new technology including some gimmicky stuff.
    -Technology upgrades also include the aforementioned fuel efficiency, safety, and performance improvements as well.
  • Design:
    -Volvo will undergo a complete change in it's design direction (and I mean a radical departure from current design, not all that dissimilar from what BMW did when they debuted the new 7 in 03; the XC60 concept was a step in the right direction, but not far enough, especially the production model; oh, and it's design department will be headed by me of course :p ).
    -My Volvo may even have a new and/or improved emblem as well.
    -New Volvo products will push the design envelope, while stirring buyer's emotions (ideally in a good way, of course), etc.....
  • Performance:
    -R models will feature increased horsepower and torque numbers through a variety of technologies, including DI, turboing, etc.
    -R models will also feature suspension, etc. changes/upgrades for improved driving characteristics.
Some, or even most US models would/could be built in the US (and possibly exported) alongside their Ford platform mates to reduce costs.

Well, there you have it: the new Volvo (or at least my take on it).
I know all of this would be very expensive and could not be done all at once, but seeing as my product plan essentially takes what Volvo has now and builds upon it, my plan could theoretically be done.

------------

This thread is open to any Volvo photochops any of you may have.

------------

And to 2b2, sorry, I stupidly created this nice fancy table in MS Word before realizing you can't just copy paste tables, and I don't have time to write all the code to put it into tables right now, lol. I may eventually, but I'm not making any promises, either.

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I tried to enter it as html, RMC, but that seems to be turned off :confused: NDW?
so
I made a webpage out of it ;)
with a link back here & to my slightly old lineup (below with added little vehicles)

I *like* your lineup - just 2 qualms
- Kinda feel that switching the sizes for the number-names that much Might cause confusion (plus I really like the sound of C90/S100)
- Sorta disagree with the order of the models' hierarchy - think the C70(should be)/is higher &... ...really shouldn't the numbers indicate 'ranking' regardless of vehicle type?
(more after dinner...)

here's mine (note: C30 remains the smallest U.S. Volvo for the foreseeable future)
2/3door:__C10_____C30______________C70___________C90
4door:____S20__________________S60c______S80__________S100
5door:_____P30_________P50__________________P80
XUV:_____XC30___________XC60______________XC90
ovls "s =_145-160__167.5_174_178__182_186__190_192.5_195_197.5

- the 'P' series are sleeker hatches - not quite wagons (have a quickie chop but it's on my old hard drive :()
- the "S60c" is a (CLSish, tho smaller) sportsedan; page/chop by FBálint <sorry, don't have the right to post it
- C90 & S100 are based on a moderately stretched S80 & use mainly aluminium construction

just in case the spacing got weird, here's a screenprint

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ I tried to enter it as html, RMC, but that seems to be turned off :confused: NDW?
so
I made a webpage out of it ;)
with a link back here & to my slightly old lineup (below with added little vehicles)

I *like* your lineup - just 2 qualms
- Kinda feel that switching the sizes for the number-names that much Might cause confusion (plus I really like the sound of C90/S100)
- Sorta disagree with the order of the models' hierarchy - think the C70(should be)/is higher &... ...really shouldn't the numbers indicate 'ranking' regardless of vehicle type?
(more after dinner...)

here's mine (note: C30 remains the smallest U.S. Volvo for the foreseeable future)
2/3door:__C10_____C30______________C70___________C90
4door:____S20__________________S60c______S80__________S100
5door:_____P30_________P50__________________P80
XUV:_____XC30___________XC60______________XC90
ovls "s =_145-160__167.5_174_178__182_186__190_192.5_195_197.5

- the 'P' series are sleeker hatches - not quite wagons (have a quickie chop but it's on my old hard drive :()
- the "S60c" is a (CLSish, tho smaller) sportsedan; page/chop by FBálint <sorry, don't have the right to post it
- C90 & S100 are based on a moderately stretched S80 & use mainly aluminium construction

just in case the spacing got weird, here's a screenprint
Thanks for making that webpage.

And really most of the lineup (with the exception of the V70 which switches counterpart vehicles) simply grows as most vehicles do in their redesigns, so changing the numbers and their respective sizes isn't at least IMO, that big of a deal.

Yes, I see where you're coming from in saying maybe the number should correspond with the overall size rather than size in each specific class. I suppose Volvo sorta has it like that now. Ok I'll tweak the numbers and post it whenever I get a chance.

Oh, and I didn't even think to add specialty vehicles like a CLS style car as you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I tried putting it in HTML code and it's not working. I do have an updated lineup though:

I don't know how to make that webpage like you did.

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
YW re: webpage
&
yeah, if the models could "grow as most vehicles do in their redesigns" I'd say 'fine', but this seems a bigger change than the 'usual'

note/edit: when I say "C class" I mean size not Coupe-like

the CLS-style S60c isn't meant to be a specialty model - just give more differentiation from the S40(/V50) replacement
& kinda goes with the bit-more-upscale segment... I kinda wondered about not having a C class sedan but the (182" ovl) S60c wouldn't be that much larger than the current & previous S40 (176/178") or the P50 (174")
((and probably be size-equal to the next BMW 3 series; current = 178.2"))
(((guess imho it'd be more important to have the perfect 60 than sacrifice anything to keep S40 buyers - maybe this model is a bit the reverse of your 'growing' idea?)))

...sorta like I don't believe Lincoln needs a C class car Yet... & same reason I wouldn't have the 10-30 models here yet & when appropriate would probably intro them in descending size 30's > 20 > 10.

I like that you've included platforms (which I haven't) - wondered if Volvo's higher price range could allow for major tweaks & stretching/shrinking of Fomoco platforms? So you could have C class width with B class length
or like my C70 is actually 6" longer than the current one - mainly for rear seat room (I see it more as an S80-coupe(cabrio) )...
or your luxo-4-pass large vehicles might be CD4/EUCD-based? ...kinda think std-Awd could work as well as Rwd for an A8-beating range-topper.

edit2:
I'll do a ver2 on your webpage (re-edit: done)
(if you want to get a feel for html, save the page and look at it with an old text editor)

edit3
noticed your new S80 is a bit smaller than the current AuFalcon - have you thought of any Aussie/Swede synergies? (boy, that's hard to say! ;))

ps/edit
you know the current V70 is S80-based, yes?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YW re: webpage
&
yeah, if the models could "grow as most vehicles do in their redesigns" I'd say 'fine', but this seems a bigger change than the 'usual'

note/edit: when I say "C class" I mean size not Coupe-like

the CLS-style S60c isn't meant to be a specialty model - just give more differentiation from the S40(/V50) replacement
& kinda goes with the bit-more-upscale segment... I kinda wondered about not having a C class sedan but the (182" ovl) S60c wouldn't be that much larger than the current & previous S40 (176/178") or the P50 (174")
((and probably be size-equal to the next BMW 3 series; current = 178.2"))
(((guess imho it'd be more important to have the perfect 60 than sacrifice anything to keep S40 buyers - maybe this model is a bit the reverse of your 'growing' idea?)))

...sorta like I don't believe Lincoln needs a C class car Yet... & same reason I wouldn't have the 10-30 models here yet & when appropriate would probably intro them in descending size 30's > 20 > 10.

I like that you've included platforms (which I haven't) - wondered if Volvo's higher price range could allow for major tweaks & stretching/shrinking of Fomoco platforms? So you could have C class width with B class length
or like my C70 is actually 6" longer than the current one - mainly for rear seat room (I see it more as an S80-coupe(cabrio) )...
or your luxo-4-pass large vehicles might be CD4/EUCD-based? ...kinda think std-Awd could work as well as Rwd for an A8-beating range-topper.

edit2:
I'll do a ver2 on your webpage
(if you want to get a feel for html, save the page and look at it with an old text editor)

edit3
noticed your new S80 is a bit smaller than the current AuFalcon - have you thought of any Aussie/Swede synergies? (boy, that's hard to say! ;))

ps/edit
you know the current V70 is S80-based, yes?
Maybe Volvo could tweak/strech/shrink, etc. plaforms...although that would likely drive prices up, since Volvo would be developing it's own platforms even though they're based on already existing ones....at least I would think completley sharing them would keep costs lower.

You know, I never thought of an FoA and Volvo tieup. That is a good thought for sure, though.

Hmmm, I didn't realize the V70 was S80 based....I knew the XC70 was, but not the V. Well, to fit in with the new number-based lineup progression, the V70 will now have to be S60 based.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Hmmm, I didn't realize the V70 was S80 based....I knew the XC70 was, but not the V. Well, to fit in with the new number-based lineup progression, the V70 will now have to be S60 based.
now that you say "XC70", I'm not positive...
pretty sure the previous V70 Was S60 based but when the new one came out a while back (a year ago?), thought I read it was based on the almost as new EUCD S80... ...we need a Volvo expert ;) ...or the time&energy to do a decent googling.

soooooo
did you think of any specialty cars to add?
&
when you have time, maybe proofread that webpage to check me for errors from your jpg's
it'd be no trouble to fix any

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now that you say "XC70", I'm not positive...
pretty sure the previous V70 Was S60 based but when the new one came out a while back (a year ago?), thought I read it was based on the almost as new EUCD S80... ...we need a Volvo expert ;) ...or the time&energy to do a decent googling.

soooooo
did you think of any specialty cars to add?
&
when you have time, maybe proofread that webpage to check me for errors from your jpg's
it'd be no trouble to fix any
The new V70 does appear to be S80 based now, at least judging by how it looks compared to the S80 on Volvo's website.

No, I haven't really had time to think much about any 'specialty' cars to add.

I did look over your webpage, there were a couple minor errors in the V section, likely due to simple name switches:
--the V50 is on C2 platform, not CD4/EUCD, and has a Hybrid option, NO R option
--the V70 is now on CD4/EUCD platform, not GRWD, and has BOTH hybrid and R option
--the V90 is a 5-7 seater, not 4-7....there is a possible R option (put a * and ? next to it like the S100)
--the V100 you have, I named the V110 to keep the 20 or 30 number difference between models throughout the lineup.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ okie dokie, made the revisions :)

&
was thinking about V's & Minivans vs my P's (hopefully being
more U.S.Appealing than ^ or ^
)
P50 would definitely be only a 5 seater,
P80 could have a raised rear roof to make the 3rd row more adult/viking-friendly ;)
also
thought of a specialty vehicle to fill the 'missing slot' between the P's & augment the S60c/C70 neo-midsizers*... ...a LookAtMeI'maHYBRID-Hybrid :eek:
maybe (using a Mercury-idea I had) it could have 2 lengths (helping to volumize the S60c/C70) and both be available in 5 or 7 passenger configurations (see the 181.5" ovl Mazda5)
thinking 'amP' might be an ok name, emphasizing the 'P'
and fans could shorten Volvo-amP to VamP ;) ('cept of course for Goths...
)

* not quite as long as Milan/Fusion or as wide/bulky as Edge/MKX,
but Significantly smaller than the new Accord & U.S.Mazda6 about which I have major misgivings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts