Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
The issue is not voice control (though it could be better). The issue is volume control on non-navigation models. There is no discrete control of volume for the different sources (There is on NAV).

Have the radio at a decent level and the handfree volume will be too low. That's not that bad. Hit the sync button and the voice prompt will be so loud your ears will bleed. Ford is aware of it, and issued a TSB that tells dealers to not do anything. The other fun one is the poor sound on the rear view mounted MIC. Ford issued a TSB for that, and will install a replacement MIC, but it looks like something a bestbuy employee would install from the early 90s. What's the worst part of it all is Fords total lack of support. BON is better run than the SYNC Community forums.

Lovely isn't it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
"bleeding ears"??

Hmmm,
I have noticed sync volume levels that I had to compensate for, but.....really?
Practically, yes. It's so bad my wife won't let me use it while she is in the car. The SYNC person on SYNC Community acknowledges the issue, but says it's not his problem, it's the headunit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Huh, must be in my cache because I'm not a member. Does this work?

huge pic

Ford rolled the change into the mid 2010 models. (Ours is a Job 1).

It would have been nice if they integrated it into the light assembly.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The issue is not voice control (though it could be better). The issue is volume control on non-navigation models. There is no discrete control of volume for the different sources (There is on NAV).

Have the radio at a decent level and the handfree volume will be too low. That's not that bad. Hit the sync button and the voice prompt will be so loud your ears will bleed. Ford is aware of it, and issued a TSB that tells dealers to not do anything. The other fun one is the poor sound on the rear view mounted MIC. Ford issued a TSB for that, and will install a replacement MIC, but it looks like something a bestbuy employee would install from the early 90s. What's the worst part of it all is Fords total lack of support. BON is better run than the SYNC Community forums.
I have two questions if I may:

1. Is this high volume, bleeding ears issue, an ongoing problem or has Ford fixed it in subsequent models? Sounds like an easy thing to deal with (by the maker, not the user of course)
2. Did they fix the mic problem? Is that what you are saying about a mid 2010 thing?

I know several people that say they would NOT buy a car without SYNC or some similar system (up to today there is nothing remotely similar) but most of them have it together with nav. Except for my friend "P" who bought a Focus upon my recommendation and even though he has not nav, he is one of the most enthusiastic proponents of SYNC that I know.

Back when I was reviewing cars I drove several Ford vehicles with SYNC, I did never experienced this high volume/bleeding ears problems. They were of course all top of the line models with Navigation (demo testers are usually very well loaded examples). The Flex with the then new next gen nav system was one of the best SYNC examples I got to test and no bleeding ears to speak of. I wonder if the problem you are experiencing is related to nav-less vehicles, or even more so (and based on "P" and is Focus) to nav-less Flexes or nav-less big cabin vehicles.

What I find inexcusable, is that Ford would issue a TSB about this problems and tell the dealers not to do anything. I am very curios too see how would they phrase such an absurdity, knowing as they know that these TBS go public. Do you have a copy to post here by any chance?

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know what he is talking about. My Focus does the same thing. The volume control is fixed across all inputs, so if you're jamming to Sirius and hit the voice button, the SYNC lady is going to blow you out as she is equally as loud. It isn't a huge problem, but it is sort of perplexing as it isn't too difficult to program it so each input has it's own volume level. Even my Aussie-built G8 does that.

I had not heard about the mic problem. I wondered why all of my recent test vehicles have the mic in the headliner versus the mirror.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Mac is in the shop so I'm posting from my iPhone. Bear with me...

I do not have the full TSB re volume control but here is what was posted on the Ford SYNC site:
SYNC, MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINE AND MODEL YEAR SYNC SYSTEM VOICE TOO LOUD, TOO QUIET. SOME 2008-2010 SYNC EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT THE SYNC SYSTEM VOICE TOO LOUD OR TOO SOFT. THIS IS A NORMAL SYSTEM OPERATING STRATEGY AND NO REPAIR IS NECESSARY. THERE WILL BE NO REVISIONS FOR THIS IN THE FUTURE FOR THE 2008-2010 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES. DO NOT REPLACE OR UPGRADE THE ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE(APIM)FOR THIS CONCERN.*
It was confirmed as being a TSB by the SYNC rep.

Yes, the headliner MIC was a running change to address the poor sound quality issue. It did not get fixed until mid 2010 (my Job 1 Flex has the issue). That Ford sold models with that issue for three years is crazy. I have not decided yet if I'll live with the poor sound quality or have the ridiculously ugly MIC installed per the TSB.

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. Is this high volume, bleeding ears issue, an ongoing problem or has Ford fixed it in subsequent models? Sounds like an easy thing to deal with
AFAIK it's still an issue. Ford really needs to be active on their SYNC site or shut it down. Their Rep on there is really bad. When I first posted about the issue he said it's not a SYNC problem, it's an issue with the headunit. I told him I didn't care if it was the headunit or headlight at fault, I bought them all from Ford.

Ford doesn't care because as long as they supply press with NAV units they can continue to dupe users all they want.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
How is it that some are so unsatisfied, they actually prefer to not have sync, even though it adds to the resale value, while others like myself who have now had 4 vehicles with sync, and have never been annoyed nearly enough to complain about it. I simply work around what I know is a very occasional flaw or glitch in a budding tech that nobody else has.

I wonder how many will never buy a computer again, because windows had issues.

So does Apple too BTW.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Escape has 115k on it (it's a 2003). It won't be replaced for another 2 years. I expect to keep the FLEX just as long as the Escape. Do you think SYNC will help it's resale in 10 years? Enough to cover the ~$300 it cost? If it was just a matter of waiting for Ford to fix it that would be fine, but Ford has shown it is unwilling to fix it, and it is to the point of being unusable in my car. I should just chalk it up to helping technology advance? Until the Flex the Focus was the leading candidate to replace the Escape. Unless Ford fixes SYNC I'll end up with a GM, and my experience with SYNC would make me very leery of recommending or buying a MFT equipped vehicle until they show they will address the issues with it.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How is it that some are so unsatisfied, they actually prefer to not have sync, even though it adds to the resale value, while others like myself who have now had 4 vehicles with sync, and have never been annoyed nearly enough to complain about it. I simply work around what I know is a very occasional flaw or glitch in a budding tech that nobody else has.

I wonder how many will never buy a computer again, because windows had issues.

So does Apple too BTW.
Different folks, different strokes. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you.

People don't not buy another computer if they have problems with it. They go to another brand. That's why the churn rate in IT products is so high. It remains to be seen if that will correlate over to automotive. I personally do not think it will. I think infotainment technology is just going to add loyalty to automotive brands...specifically with Ford and GM because they are the only two innovating in in-car communications.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
My Escape has 115k on it (it's a 2003). It won't be replaced for another 2 years. I expect to keep the FLEX just as long as the Escape. Do you think SYNC will help it's resale in 10 years? Enough to cover the ~$300 it cost? If it was just a matter of waiting for Ford to fix it that would be fine, but Ford has shown it is unwilling to fix it, and it is to the point of being unusable in my car. I should just chalk it up to helping technology advance? Until the Flex the Focus was the leading candidate to replace the Escape. Unless Ford fixes SYNC I'll end up with a GM, and my experience with SYNC would make me very leery of recommending or buying a MFT equipped vehicle until they show they will address the issues with it.
Do I think sync will help resale?
Certainly can't hurt.

Look, I am not here to sell you anything, I just disagree with your assertion that the latest sync is such a failure that it would force you into another brand.

If I am wrong, then enjoy your GM product.
Me, I use and enjoy sync every time I drive.
So too does my wife. Can't live without it, were her exact words.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Different folks, different strokes. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you.People don't not buy another computer if they have problems with it. They go to another brand. That's why the churn rate in IT products is so high. It remains to be seen if that will correlate over to automotive. I personally do not think it will. I think infotainment technology is just going to add loyalty to automotive brands...specifically with Ford and GM because they are the only two innovating in in-car communications.
Of course not.
But the overwhelming opinions are aligned with mine.
That is a fact, based on the huge success of thye latest sync and MyFord Touch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Look, I am not here to sell you anything, I just disagree with your assertion that the latest sync is such a failure that it would force you into another brand.

If I am wrong, then enjoy your GM product.
Me, I use and enjoy sync every time I drive.
So too does my wife. Can't live without it, were her exact words.
Well I'm not a fan of Chevys current design direction, wish Buick were shuttered, and can't afford Caddy, so you may be right for me (unless I can convince the wife into a GMC :)). Of course, I am also not a fan of the most recent Ford designs (Focus, Explorer) so who knows. (Focus may still win, as I dislike it less than other cars I would consider.

What SYNC has done is stopped me from recommending Ford to friends and family. As they know me to be a "Ford Guy" and someone who made a recent purchase that's no small thing.

So do you pay for a second TDI account for your wife? That was another fun discovery, TDI is tied to an authorized phone number, and access is included for two Years for only one number. For my wife to use TDI I'd have to pay for a second number.

What bothers me about MFT is Ford issued a TSB for my car which essentially says SYNC does not work right, but it's not meant to work right. Some people are sure that Ford will fix the lag in MFT. My experience makes me leery of that.

You should go over to Fords SYNC site and see how many people are unhappy with the performance of MFT in their Edges, there's quite a few.

NSAP - If you have any contacts who might listen you should talk to them about that site - Fords lack of involvement there is part of the problem IMHO.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Well I'm not a fan of Chevys current design direction, wish Buick were shuttered, and can't afford Caddy, so you may be right for me (unless I can convince the wife into a GMC :)). Of course, I am also not a fan of the most recent Ford designs (Focus, Explorer) so who knows. (Focus may still win, as I dislike it less than other cars I would consider.

What SYNC has done is stopped me from recommending Ford to friends and family. As they know me to be a "Ford Guy" and someone who made a recent purchase that's no small thing.

So do you pay for a second TDI account for your wife? That was another fun discovery, TDI is tied to an authorized phone number, and access is included for two Years for only one number. For my wife to use TDI I'd have to pay for a second number.

What bothers me about MFT is Ford issued a TSB for my car which essentially says SYNC does not work right, but it's not meant to work right. Some people are sure that Ford will fix the lag in MFT. My experience makes me leery of that.

You should go over to Fords SYNC site and see how many people are unhappy with the performance of MFT in their Edges, there's quite a few.

NSAP - If you have any contacts who might listen you should talk to them about that site - Fords lack of involvement there is part of the problem IMHO.
I can't say I am sorry to hear that, because I really have no benefit or interest in what you drive.
And refusing a whole brand based on an option you don't like, is about as silly as an excuse as I have ever heard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The problem that you listed though is not that Sync is not working. It works, and works just as they designed it to work. You may not like the sound level feature, but it is working as designed. That's different than something not working correctly. Sure, Ford will most likely change this, and it may never get changed on your Flex, but that doesn't mean that Sync is not working well.

This happens in all industries with all products. Certain features will be changed over time to the liking of the user base. That doesn't mean that a feature that wasn't popular will be changed though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a previous owner of a 2008 Edge with Navigation and now an owner of a 2011 Lincoln MKX with an SD navigation card I was looking for a number of improvements in the Sync system. In the main I have found them. I agree that there is a constant delay with the various components loading when a button is pushed on the 8" screen. At the same time I realized when ordering my vehicle that as this was the first generation of MyTouch there would probably be some growing pains. As long as Ford kept on top of the situation and issued updates to deal with problems I would be happy. Also I assumed that when queries were made by owners to dealers about problems. there would be answers To begin with other than the Navigation system, my experience with MyTouch has been good. I find with the increased number of voice command for various actions I seldom get frustrated as I did with my previous version of Sync. I had no problem downloading my wife's ipod and getting songs to play by various categories. I was able to pair my phone with Sync and use it but when my vehicle was shut down and then restarted it would not reconnect with Sync. As the phone had been paired in my 2008 Edge without problems, I decided to delete Sync from the phone and The phone from Sync. I then paired again and everything has worked well since. i I hate where the flasher button has been placed and can not count the number of times it has come on when I am trying to get at the touch screen. I find that after two weeks with my new vehicle I am doing a lot of thing by voice command that I have not attempted previously. I find the 8" screen layout with the four corners easy to navigate and with trial and error have been able to find out how the various screens work. The printed guide is lacking in many areas, so it takes patience and experimentation when you first start out. The navigation system designed by TeleNav with I believe TeleAtlas mapping has been a major problem I live just south of Calgary Alberta Canada. In the City limits of Calgary and on most major highways the maps are accurate and the vehicle positioning shown is correct. Vehicle positioning on secondary highways and streets in my town are something else. In most cases my vehicle is shown as being well off the road and in uncharted area. I have liaised with five - 2011 Edge owners in my area and all are finding the same thing. I have been running my Garmin Nuvi 1490 in parallel with the vehicle Navigation system and the Garmin is dead on. Entering information through the "Find Address Section " can also be difficult. To begin with by default the screen in Canada shows only the first letter of the Provinces in Canada. In attempting to build a route to Seattle Washington, I could not get the W to show up on the screen for Province/State. I finally had to choose a State that had the same first letter as a Province and then when that state came up I had a box come up for Country. I could then enter USA and then get the W. There are a number of other areas that are entirely different from what I am accustomed to with other GPS systems. I have only used NavTek mapping before ( This was also on the 2008 Edge) so must presume it is because of TeleNav design. Unfortunately the Instruction manual does not help in most cases. In contacting both the dealer and then Ford Sync; answers to problems are hard to come by. A look at the Blue Oval Forum and the Ford Sync Forum will show that getting information in both the US and Canada is the main source of complaint. When I called Sync about the positioning of my vehicle on the map I was informed that Ford knew about the problem and was working on a software upgrade. When one of my friends called about the problem on his 2011 Edge he was informed that Ford had not had any complaints about this problem; no upgrades were being worked on and he should take his vehicle to the dealer to get the navigation re calibrated. The dealers across the USA and Canada also appear to have limited information on most the the MyTouch problems brought to them. I watched the Video of the Ford Edge project engineer Elaine Bannon introducing the 2011 Edge to the automotive writers with a great deal of enthusiasm. It appears that most of the writers and certainly people like myself picked up on this and waited expectantly . I love my 2011 MKX and without exception those who have ridden with me have loved the vehicle as well. At the same time there are some glitches that must be dealt with. It seems to me that the major problem at this time is the lack of knowledge and training at the dealer level and the lack of information that the Sync Customer Service people have regarding problems communicated to them by owners and steps that Ford is taking to deal with them

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
As a previous owner of a 2008 Edge with Navigation and now an owner of a 2011 Lincoln MKX with an SD navigation card I was looking for a number of improvements in the Sync system. In the main I have found them. I agree that there is a constant delay with the various components loading when a button is pushed on the 8" screen. At the same time I realized when ordering my vehicle that as this was the first generation of MyTouch there would probably be some growing pains. As long as Ford kept on top of the situation and issued updates to deal with problems I would be happy. Also I assumed that when queries were made by owners to dealers about problems. there would be answers To begin with other than the Navigation system, my experience with MyTouch has been good. I find with the increased number of voice command for various actions I seldom get frustrated as I did with my previous version of Sync. I had no problem downloading my wife's ipod and getting songs to play by various categories. I was able to pair my phone with Sync and use it but when my vehicle was shut down and then restarted it would not reconnect with Sync. As the phone had been paired in my 2008 Edge without problems, I decided to delete Sync from the phone and The phone from Sync. I then paired again and everything has worked well since. i I hate where the flasher button has been placed and can not count the number of times it has come on when I am trying to get at the touch screen. I find that after two weeks with my new vehicle I am doing a lot of thing by voice command that I have not attempted previously. I find the 8" screen layout with the four corners easy to navigate and with trial and error have been able to find out how the various screens work. The printed guide is lacking in many areas, so it takes patience and experimentation when you first start out. The navigation system designed by TeleNav with I believe TeleAtlas mapping has been a major problem I live just south of Calgary Alberta Canada. In the City limits of Calgary and on most major highways the maps are accurate and the vehicle positioning shown is correct. Vehicle positioning on secondary highways and streets in my town are something else. In most cases my vehicle is shown as being well off the road and in uncharted area. I have liaised with five - 2011 Edge owners in my area and all are finding the same thing. I have been running my Garmin Nuvi 1490 in parallel with the vehicle Navigation system and the Garmin is dead on. Entering information through the "Find Address Section " can also be difficult. To begin with by default the screen in Canada shows only the first letter of the Provinces in Canada. In attempting to build a route to Seattle Washington, I could not get the W to show up on the screen for Province/State. I finally had to choose a State that had the same first letter as a Province and then when that state came up I had a box come up for Country. I could then enter USA and then get the W. There are a number of other areas that are entirely different from what I am accustomed to with other GPS systems. I have only used NavTek mapping before ( This was also on the 2008 Edge) so must presume it is because of TeleNav design. Unfortunately the Instruction manual does not help in most cases. In contacting both the dealer and then Ford Sync; answers to problems are hard to come by. A look at the Blue Oval Forum and the Ford Sync Forum will show that getting information in both the US and Canada is the main source of complaint. When I called Sync about the positioning of my vehicle on the map I was informed that Ford knew about the problem and was working on a software upgrade. When one of my friends called about the problem on his 2011 Edge he was informed that Ford had not had any complaints about this problem; no upgrades were being worked on and he should take his vehicle to the dealer to get the navigation re calibrated. The dealers across the USA and Canada also appear to have limited information on most the the MyTouch problems brought to them. I watched the Video of the Ford Edge project engineer Elaine Bannon introducing the 2011 Edge to the automotive writers with a great deal of enthusiasm. It appears that most of the writers and certainly people like myself picked up on this and waited expectantly . I love my 2011 MKX and without exception those who have ridden with me have loved the vehicle as well. At the same time there are some glitches that must be dealt with. It seems to me that the major problem at this time is the lack of knowledge and training at the dealer level and the lack of information that the Sync Customer Service people have regarding problems communicated to them by owners and steps that Ford is taking to deal with them

Welcome to the site! Thanks for posting!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts