Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MyFordTouch/SYNC Software Update

Ford Motor Co. is preparing to launch its latest software update for its Sync voice recognition and MyFord Touch infotainment systems in an effort to streamline both systems and improve customer satisfaction.

The free update should be available by next week for all Ford and Lincoln customers via Internet download. It will allow customers to more quickly pair a smartphone with both systems, will simplify some voice recognition commands and will make touchscreen buttons easier to press.

For instance, one of the chief complaints of MyFord Touch has centered on how a person selects functions on the touchscreen. Using the current software, a driver or passenger must touch the upper or lower portion of one of four quadrants — for phone, navigation, audio or climate.

The new software will allow a customer to touch anywhere inside a quadrant to select and change the associated features. Read More.....

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
crossreference for owners' experiences/reviews
started by BORG, who's already got it

edit
been reading experiences of other owners upgrading elsewhere
&
I'm pretty sure if someone offered me a FREE CAR *with* MFT/MLT, I say "NO Thanks".

Until they have a FULLY programmable driver/car interface
so it would work EXACTLY like I'd want,
I'd rather have basic buttons with NO connectivity/gizmos

disclaimers:
- I used to work on computer networks
- have NEVER owned a printer since I used cloud-like data before it was even called a cloud
- never owned a cellphone either - yet (don't LIKE phones)
- think much technology is ruined by being geared for untech users

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"As we near the release of the updates I was thinking it would be good to know who exactly on the forum is willing to get the update first and share their results.

If you're willing to get the update first and report back on your results please say so below. My idea is to then create a topic for each user who gets the update early on so that each person can individually report on their results, independent of what other users might say.

Also, while we all love sharing our personal experiences and reading those of others they don't always add a lot of value. So also please comment below any ideas you have of more scientific tests that we can do to see the effects of the update.

Ideally the guinea pig volunteers would run the tests before the update and then again after the update. Please don't use this topic to discuss the update or say things like "I'm not going first!" as that can be done here. Thank you."

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7238-ford-fuel-efficiency-update-guinea-pig-testers/

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I probably should mention that I had a hard time getting Java to cooperate during the USB setup process, especially Java 7 on OSX. I ultimately had to dust off an obsolete version of Java 6 running on a Windows machine (very insecure) to get it to finally work.

A few things I've noted in my brief time so far.

The Lincoln boot screen has been redesigned with the new Lincoln logo and they've eliminated the THX splash screen.
Music Track information appears on the home screen in the Media 'Quadrant'
You can tap anywhere in the 4 quadrants (not just the bar) to bring up the full-screen controls
Under Navigation you can gain access to "Where Am I" to see your relative street address and Lon/Lat coordinates
When using voice commands, an onscreen box appears suggesting voice commands
The system does seem quicker, especially when operating voice commands
When pairing a phone, it no longer prompts you to download your address book and does so automatically based on your bluetooth settings (at least with iPhone).

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Lincoln boot screen has been redesigned with the new Lincoln logo and they've eliminated the THX splash screen.
Music Track information appears on the home screen in the Media 'Quadrant'
You can tap anywhere in the 4 quadrants (not just the bar) to bring up the full-screen controls
Under Navigation you can gain access to "Where Am I" to see your relative street address and Lon/Lat coordinates
When using voice commands, an onscreen box appears suggesting voice commands
The system does seem quicker, especially when operating voice commands
When pairing a phone, it no longer prompts you to download your address book and does so automatically based on your bluetooth settings (at least with iPhone).
Thanks for the info. What version were you running prior? I'm not in too much of a hurry to upgrade mine... the version in my '13 April built MKX is more responsive than the updated (mailed USB) MFT I was running in my '11 Edge. And I was happy with it in the Edge.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was on v3.5, which I believe came on all 2013 MY cars.

Performance seems marginally improved overall, but significantly better on bootup. MFT/MLT has a history of misbehaving or not responding right after the car starts up. They've gradually been improving this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
MFT/MLT has a history of misbehaving or not responding right after the car starts up.
Huh. Never really had that problem on my Edge or with the Lincoln. I think I'll pass on this upgrade... the only thing that interests me is having the track info displayed on the home screen, but I normally keep the right DIC set on that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have an '11 Explorer w/MFT and did the first upgrade in '12 and another early this year and both were worth while, especially the first one. It improved voice activation for NAV and the interface for iPods adding up and back buttons that the initial version lacked. The second one did some fine tuning in appearance and displayed features. I think it's smart for Ford to continue tp make upgrades available just as is done for all computers' operating systems and programs. The company has been addressing concerns and listening to customers' recommendations. I do wish the display and ringtones were a bit more customizable, though. Overall, I'm very happy with the system.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
MFT/MLT has always been very slow and non-responsive right after startup, which is when you interact with it the most. It's now MUCH quicker.

I've also had issues with Sirius Travel Link services not working reliably and so far everything has FINALLY worked normally. We'll see how long that lasts.

So there are notable performance gains and stability improvements, I wouldn't hesitate to update.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just had the experience of renting a 2014 Fusion for a week. The car was equipped with MFT/Sync. This was my first experience with it (and of course there was no owner's manual in the car). I liked the Fusion, but did not like MFT. Just too many steps to do simple things, and too much delay, which is distracting and dangerous while driving. I would like to see Ford/Lincoln take ALL of the climate stuff out of MFT/MLT and have it operated with knobs/buttons. If you want to simply slow the fan down for example, you should NOT have to go through screens/steps to do it, when a one button push should do it. Put the Nav and infotainment stuff in MFT and keep everything else out. Hooking everything up to a computer is not always the best idea, especially when the computer is slow. Ford is not the only company with this problem.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
They have always had redundancies for vital controls on the instrument panel so you don't have to use the touchscreen. They are eliminating touch-sensitive controls however for traditional buttons in both Ford and Lincoln.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts