·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Honda Accord Coupe Concept Looks Very Familiar: 2012 Detroit Auto Show
By: Colum Wood
10/01/2012
AutoGuide

No one will accuse Honda of breaking the mold with the new Accord Coupe concept, revealed today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Then again, consistency is part of the Honda plan and has earned the company an excellent reputation. On hand for the car’s debut, American Honda Motor Co. Executive VP John Mendel pointed out the Accord’s unprecedented 26 times it has been named to Car & Driver’s Top 10 car of the year list.

Looking like a slightly stylized version of the current Accord, the new model is smaller overall and with a lower roofline, although Honda claims it has achieved the same interior space. It’s also a lighter vehicle, although Honda isn’t getting into specifics at this point.

The Accord will be the first model to use Honda’s new powertrains, featuring direct-injection among other technologies. Both a V6 and a new 2.4-liter 4-cylinder will be offered, with a newly developed CVT transmission for the 4-cylinder and a 6-speed automatic for the V6. Honda hasn’t announced specs but says it expects the Accord to deliver class leading fuel economy. Whether it can best the new Fusion’s 26/37-mpg rating will be, however, be tough.

Full text at link

·
Registered
384 Posts
A Fusion coupe, especially if it looked like the Iosis concept, but as a two door would be a great idea. I'm not always impressed by the "practicality" of four door sedans. In fact, there are some surprising cars that have too little space in the rear to justify the extra doors. Among these, would be the Buick Regal, the Acura RL, which has lousy space for how large a car it is, and the BMW 3 series. If I can't adjust the driver's seat to suit me, then get in the back and have my knees something other than in contact with the back of the front seat, then perhaps it's better off as a coupe. Of course, any of those German "coupes" also land into this category.

There would be two last ingredients needed to get my attention, though. One would be a manual transmission, the other would be that they actually assemble the thing in the U.S. One reason I've been highly resistant to the Fusion, despite being highly tempted, is that the car is built in Mexico, which I perceive as being done to avoid paying Americans to build cars for Americans.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is no such thing as a "4 door coupe." Don't drink the marketing Kool-aid!

·
Registered
334 Posts
imho
the (new) Fusion doesn't NEED a coupe to defeat the Honduh
btw
is the coupe as plus-sized as the sedan?
I agree. Once you get into the midsize segment, coupes are generally hard to sell. Midsize customers are usually looking for more utility and practicality (access to the rear seat).

I would love to see a 5-door liftback version, but that's probably not going to happen either (at least here in the US anyway). I guess most people who want a liftback vehicle would opt for a crossover. I guess I'm in the minority since I would rather have a car with a liftback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts