Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford to Tear Down EcoBoost V-6 "Torture Test" Engine at Detroit Auto Show - PickupTrucks.com

photocredits: Ford.wieck.com

Posted by Mike Levine | December 28, 2010
Want a chance to see the very same EcoBoost V-6 engine that Ford engineers have torture tested over the past several months? You can — in pieces — if you attend the first public day of the 2011 North American International Auto Show in Detroit at 11 a.m. on Jan. 15.

Ford engineers will disassemble and examine the twin-turbo direct-injection six-cylinder gas engine for long-term durability performance in the Ford powertrain display at Cobo Hall...

More...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I cant wait to see this. I wonder how they simulate 150K on a dyno alone. How do they figure that out? It could be driven coast to coast or is it short tripped or a combination of both. I would also like to know how they durability test other engines. The EB has the spotlight but do all others get tortured like this? I would love to be a fly on the wall to find out. Not to open an old wound but how did they NOT know about the 5.4's shooting spark plugs?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Because, it is what I call a "ghost" issue.

There were many millions of these engines, in many vehicles. Less than 1/10 of 1% had a plug issue, and it happened at high miles.................. and primarily after the plugs were changed.

Thus, the variables, and incident rate was so small, and so spread out, that it could literally be deemed an anomaly.

We had a rural auto repair and towing business, in truck country, where the primary vehicles used for towing, were Fords.................. and they were working hard. In 9 years, we never saw, heard of, or experienced any with the plug problem.

It is obvious that this did not happen in testing. Probably because the people who were changing the plugs in the engines knew what they were doing.

As long as there have been aluminum heads, there have been plug issues. It just became visible in the Fords, due to volume of units sold, and the internet. Yes, the indicent % was higher in the Fords, due to the number of threads used. However, it was nowhere near widespread, and was never close to being common................. the internet notwithstanding.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Because, it is what I call a "ghost" issue.

There were many millions of these engines, in many vehicles. Less than 1/10 of 1% had a plug issue, and it happened at high miles.................. and primarily after the plugs were changed.

Thus, the variables, and incident rate was so small, and so spread out, that it could literally be deemed an anomaly.

We had a rural auto repair and towing business, in truck country, where the primary vehicles used for towing, were Fords.................. and they were working hard. In 9 years, we never saw, heard of, or experienced any with the plug problem.

It is obvious that this did not happen in testing. Probably because the people who were changing the plugs in the engines knew what they were doing.

As long as there have been aluminum heads, there have been plug issues. It just became visible in the Fords, due to volume of units sold, and the internet. Yes, the indicent % was higher in the Fords, due to the number of threads used. However, it was nowhere near widespread, and was never close to being common................. the internet notwithstanding.
I respect your opinion but hear me out on this. One of my friiends has a f150 that shot a plug at 107K. He works for Comcast and they had several vans and trucks that did the same things. So to me it was not just internet chatter. My newphew has a 150 that had to have the cam phasers replaced also but its a high mileagle engine. I own a 03 Mach 1 with a 4.6 dohc engine and a few(not many) have done the same. The Mach engine got a couple of revised heads one of which got more threads on the spark plugs This tells me that Ford knew they had a problem. Mine was the second upgrade and I didnt get this. For what ever reason the 4.6 was no where near as problamatic at the 5.4. I have had no issues.

I understand what your saying but I think its more than internet chatter. Ford screwed this up. Recently, a friend had a 2005 f 150 f 150 5.4 blow up. An injector stuck open and hydro locked the cylinder and it bent the connecting rod. He was pissed. I began to look online to find it was a common problem with that year. To my surprise, I found a document from Ford about this. The engine had 95K on it and Ford admitted they had a problem. Long story short, they replaced his engine free of charge. He owns a company and was about to replace all of his trucks with Chevrolets because he had good luck with them in general in the past. Now, he has changed his mind because of how Ford handled his problem. He will be buying a new Ford van soon..

I have harped on him about Ford not taking a bail out and admitting their mistakes and taking care of them. Its going to pay off down the road. He is now nothing short of impressed with Ford. I wonder sometimes how engineering flaws happen in this day and age. Cars and trucks are way better now than they used to but every once in a while somebody screws up. It frustrates me but Im still on board with Ford Motor Co. I think they are the best there is.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford realized the problem long after they were making the engines. They have long since corrected it. The root cause: Not enough threads to engage. That is the trade-off you make when trying to maximize valve size on 4 valve arrangements. They even used a small plug thread, which compounded the issue. If installed properly, your issue was extremely rare. If over torqued, or under torqued, then your chances were greatly magnified.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I respect your opinion but hear me out on this. One of my friiends has a f150 that shot a plug at 107K. He works for Comcast and they had several vans and trucks that did the same things. So to me it was not just internet chatter. My newphew has a 150 that had to have the cam phasers replaced also but its a high mileagle engine. I own a 03 Mach 1 with a 4.6 dohc engine and a few(not many) have done the same. The Mach engine got a couple of revised heads one of which got more threads on the spark plugs This tells me that Ford knew they had a problem. Mine was the second upgrade and I didnt get this. For what ever reason the 4.6 was no where near as problamatic at the 5.4. I have had no issues.

I understand what your saying but I think its more than internet chatter. Ford screwed this up. Recently, a friend had a 2005 f 150 f 150 5.4 blow up. An injector stuck open and hydro locked the cylinder and it bent the connecting rod. He was pissed. I began to look online to find it was a common problem with that year. To my surprise, I found a document from Ford about this. The engine had 95K on it and Ford admitted they had a problem. Long story short, they replaced his engine free of charge. He owns a company and was about to replace all of his trucks with Chevrolets because he had good luck with them in general in the past. Now, he has changed his mind because of how Ford handled his problem. He will be buying a new Ford van soon..

I have harped on him about Ford not taking a bail out and admitting their mistakes and taking care of them. Its going to pay off down the road. He is now nothing short of impressed with Ford. I wonder sometimes how engineering flaws happen in this day and age. Cars and trucks are way better now than they used to but every once in a while somebody screws up. It frustrates me but Im still on board with Ford Motor Co. I think they are the best there is.
You just proved my point. You had company vehicles, that would be maintained by a couple of people, that had problems.

The common cause for blown plugs, in aluminum heads, is over or under torquing. Either one will cause the same issue. Add to that the low amount of threads, and it is just a ripe situation for mechanic caused problems. Many mechanics use impacts for everything.

So, nowhere did I say the issue didn't happen. However, if you were to look at the maintenance records of those vehicles that saw it happen too, they will have all had plugs changed. Maybe not yesterday, and maybe not 6-months ago, but it will have happened in the recent past.

We towed for a local sheriffs office, and the state patrol, on a majorly traveled highway. Our business was open for 6 years of the "problem vehicles. If this problem was as prevelant as you make it out to be, we would have seen or heard of at least 1.

So, your anecdotal evidence shows that this did happen, and mine shows that it didn't happen very often.

Look into racing. Spit plugs is nothing new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts