·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MKC Concept is the real fresh start for Lincoln
Autoblog
January 14, 2013
by Chris Paukert

We were admittedly bullish about the Lincoln MKC Concept when we introduced it to you yesterday, as we were taken aback by how cohesive the C-platform crossover is in the metal. As it turns out, so were you, dear reader. With hundreds of comments booked on our original Deep Dive story, the overwhelming temperature of the Autoblog Commenteriat is one of surprise and delight – quite an accomplishment for a marque that many had written off for dead. The reception here under the bright lights of the Detroit Auto Show appears to be no less positive, but we thought you might want a second, closer look afforded by these live photos.

Lincoln remains mum on production MKC drivetrain specifics (we're thinking it will start with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder out of its similarly sized Ford Escape relative, or maybe the midlevel 1.6-liter), but we shouldn't have to wait too long. The showcar is expected to closely mirror the production model (due as early as later this year), so much so that Ford global marketing boss Jim Farley explicitly told the press conference masses, "When you see the MKC, do not think concept." That's good news, as the MKC is pivotal to Lincoln's effort to rebuild awareness and consideration on the back of its MKZ sedan, a model just now going on sale. In fact, with the small crossover segment exploding, the MKC could very well turn out to be more important to the brand than the MKZ.

Full article and images at link.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a video of the reveal.

It's nice to see Bill Ford and Alan Mulally doing the speeches for a change.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It is funny how MKZ and MKC sound so similar when spoken.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS for the vidLink, N.R.! :thumb:

hope my antique puter finishes loading it before NAIAS is over :angel

& imho, just-imho,
soon the MucK nomenclature won't be used on anything larger than the Z
(tho seriously, think anyone interested can handle C - X - Z - S - T)
You're welcome, 2b2.

I really hope you get to see it. It was a really good reveal. Like I said, it was really nice to hear Bill and Alan give the speeches. I think that was the first time I ever heard Bill Ford talk about Lincoln.

Lincoln should either go back to using aspirational nomenclature(real names) or try something like Model KA Series 521.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
THANKS for the vidLink, N.R.!

hope my antique puter finishes loading it before NAIAS is over

& imho, just-imho,
soon the MucK nomenclature won't be used on anything larger than the Z
(tho seriously, think anyone interested can handle C - X - Z - S - T)
I personally couldn't care less about how they name their cars. The idea with the models nomenclature vs. names is to have the brand image be Lincoln and have it appeal across all the vehicles. I like how Lincoln is written all the way across the tail of the Z and C, there is no mistaking what dealership you need to visit if one catches your eye.

Lincoln <--- Its the only name you need to know!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lincoln seems to have life after all. Man I had my doubts, but can't wait to see what else that studio has to offer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am continually amazed at how Government Motors gets a pass when it comes to new models and their failure to gain traction is legendary. Look at how bad the new Malibu is compared to even the last generation. Yet, somehow there is no doubt about the viability of the company.

Over at Lincoln there are whispers of disaster - yet, it is well documented that Ford Motor Company was doing EVERYTHING it could to resolve that brand FIRST and the results are manifold - these products are now class best or near so - something that Government Motors cannot say about ANY of its products.

Ford admitted it would resolve Lincoln afterwards and I think we should cut Mullaly and company some friggin slack - let them get their arms around Lincoln and see what works. It is not like you can bring out a car in one year and totally remake the brand - it will be a progression of product. I think that Lincoln may now have found a new design language - that muscular look of the MKC would make an awesome car profile - there is much to like about the new MKZ as I sat in one on Friday last week and it was sweet.

Let's give Lincoln the time it deserves and just enjoy the new products that are around.

Heck, Cadillac still hasn't gotten their act together in over a decade of Arts and Scientology design - and they can't even beat their 1990 sales with that horrible mishmash of cars and trucks they sell!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to say that after looking at the live video the MKC looks better than I originally thought I give Lincoln credit. But this is all kinda depressing for me in a way and I can't stand the very sight of old man Mulally. That aside I think Lincoln should have a good seller here once it goes into production.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hmm, that MKC looks nice, too. So at what price are we going to look at for this? I assume less than the MKZ, right?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That's what I'd be guessing, too. After all, there needs to be "room" for the following MKX.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Escape starts higher than Fusion. I'd guess it will be closer to $36K to start.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Escape starts higher than Fusion. I'd guess it will be closer to $36K to start.
Lexus RX starts at $39,660. But, at least locally, none are under $45K. I predict $37,500 base and $42K with common equipment.....and I bet a no charge option Hybrid like the MKZ.

·
Registered
122 Posts
tho imho a Cuv a size smaller will usually be quite close to the sedan above it in price;
I think the MKC will start maybe $1-2-3k below the Z, but that's it
...might depend on which roof treatments are STD on each
Based on the Escape/Fusion prices I believe the MKC will be $1-3K ABOVE the MKZ price.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Based on the Escape/Fusion prices I believe the MKC will be $1-3K ABOVE the MKZ price.
At $3K above, I'd be wondering how much the new MKX would be. Potentially north of $60K for a fully loaded one...

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
tho imho a Cuv a size smaller will usually be quite close to the sedan above it in price;
I think the MKC will start maybe $1-2-3k below the Z, but that's it
...might depend on which roof treatments are STD on each
yeah, that sounds about right.
There is no way they will price it above the bigger Z, and right on the tail of the X.
No way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts