Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang stock car unveiled for NASCAR Nationwide Series - Autoblog
by John Neff (RSS feed) on Oct 13th 2009 at 1:57PM

Hold on to your butts, people. Ford Racing and Roush Fenway Racing have unveiled their new stock car based on the poniest of pony cars. Prior to this, Ford teams in NASCAR have driven Fusions. Well, all right, none of them were actual Fusions or will be actual Mustangs. Rather, they'll be normal stock cars like everyone else in NASCAR drives that are covered with enough stickers and fake grilles to make you think that you might be looking at a Mustang from the stands. Man, "stock car" has really become a contradiction in terms.

Now you won't see Mustangs turning left next week in Charlotte at Lowe's Motor Speedway. The new car will compete in four races next year and only in the Nationwide Series, not the Sprint Cup. As such, it won't be based on the Car of Tomorrow platform that the Sprint Cup series uses, but rather the newer, different Car of Tomorrow platform designed specifically for the Nationwide Series. This first new Mustang to race in the Nationwide Series will be the No. 16 Con-way Freight Mustang driven by Colin Braun for Roush Fenway Racing. Is it enough to make us love NASCAR? Not quite, but if we had to race a bathtub on wheels, we'd pick this one.

source: Ford Racing, Media.FORD.com

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Sweet!
I'd like to see them switch to the Taurus for the Sprint Cup series. It doesn't make sense using the Fusion, when it is being marketed as a 'green' car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't like it, they just slapped a Mustang nose on a COT Fusion body, I was hoping for a body that looked like a Mustang too, NASCAR is taking this cookie cutter car thing too far in my opinion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i totally agree with V8Interceptor. this NASCAR body is a total turn-off. i haven't watched a NASCAR race since they stopped using actual car bodies. i used to watch with my dad as a kid, and you could actually see full sized Galaxies and Pontiacs, or later, Cyclones or Torinos or Chargers. it was easy to ID and fun to root for 'your' family's car. this cookie cutter decal car tripe is just stupid. there isn't one part of that car except for a 3 inch logo that resembles a Mustang. stupid stupid stupid.

maybe they should change the 'decals' to Taurus ones, at least it's a 4 door, and with the SHO, a really fast car and a good one to promote this way.

2 thumbs down for the "Mustang" racer!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
no one takes Nascar seriously from an authenticity of product from factory standpoint.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, that's disappointing... looks less like a Mustang than the funny cars, and that's saying something...

This pic of the Challenger stocker shows it's nose is far more faithful to the production car; why can't Ford do something like that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why do these folks do this? Why cant they race real cars at Nascar?
:agree:

But all the NASCAR ppl say "it'll be too slow! wahhhhh!" It'll be fine and it'll cause the manufacturers to step up their game. I think it's actually GM's fault all this happened isn't it? They were the first ones to field a FWD car modified on a RWD chassis and call it a "stock car." :rolleyes:

All those who want Toyota out, join the movement for real "stock" cars. It'll be the Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger vs...oh that's right Toyota has nothing they could put up against them. If it were real cars, I'd be interested.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
:agree:

But all the NASCAR ppl say "it'll be too slow! wahhhhh!" It'll be fine and it'll cause the manufacturers to step up their game. I think it's actually GM's fault all this happened isn't it? They were the first ones to field a FWD car modified on a RWD chassis and call it a "stock car." :rolleyes:

All those who want Toyota out, join the movement for real "stock" cars. It'll be the Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger vs...oh that's right Toyota has nothing they could put up against them. If it were real cars, I'd be interested.
They could bring that I4 Celica from that concept...:yikes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the makers should make their own stock car series. Using...... big shocker here...... wait for it........ Actual Stock production bodies!

I've also thought they should make a series where the stock body, dashboard, suspension mounting points and stock engine block are all used, everything else is up for grabs. No forced induction unless it was offered on that engine, and then only the stock turbo or supercharger. Run 10 lap races prior to NASCAR races. If they wanna run a 4 door malibu, then it has FWD and 4 doors in race trim.

I often look at the pics of the old NASCAR, where you can tell what the cars were, that was cool. As was the old Trans Am series, which also became a series where the cars are poor replicas for their street "brethren".

·
Registered
531 Posts
New Nationwide cars don't look like Mustang, Challenger; NASCAR still irrelevant

Filed under: Motorsports, Coupe, Dodge, Ford

Last fall, NASCAR, Ford and Dodge all made a lot of noise about the introduction of the Mustang and Challenger bodies into the Nationwide race series. This all came after the latest Sprint Cup "Car of Tomorrow" drew criticism because all four participating brands had identical body shells, none of which looked like the stock road cars that lend them their names. The initial renderings focused on the front ends of the new racers, which featured more upright noses like the real pony cars you'll find in dealer showrooms.

Unfortunately, with this weekend's race debut of the Mustang and Challenger at Daytona, NASCAR proves yet again that nothing has really changed. Despite the the upright front ends, these cars don't look markedly different from each other, or even the Sprint Cup cars, for that matter. With the headlight and grille stickers blurred out, neither of the new Nationwide stockers looks like a pony car. Can you tell which is which? Check out the originals after the jump.Continue reading New Nationwide cars don't look like Mustang, Challenger; NASCAR still irrelevant

New Nationwide cars don't look like Mustang, Challenger; NASCAR still irrelevant originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 17:04:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Re: New Nationwide cars don't look like Mustang, Challenger; NASCAR still irrelevant

I swear one day we will be seeing Kia, Suzuki, or maybe even Cub Cadet decals on these same old bodies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts