Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford now has a trademark application for the name 'Nautilus'

What do you think? Sounds more inline with Lincoln than Ford...Could be a new model, or a name replacement for MKX or MKC.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Lincoln Nautilus works as a name

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nautilus is the fictional submarine captained by Nemo featured in Jules Verne's novels Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Nautilus is described by Verne as "a masterpiece containing masterpieces".

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Ford now has a trademark application for the name 'Nautilus'

What do you think? Sounds more inline with Lincoln than Ford...Could be a new model, or a name replacement for MKX or MKC.
I'm guessing an MKC/MKX name is the most likely.

Unless it's MKZ's new name.....

Nautilus, Continental.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The first submersible Lincoln. The ability to survive storm surge is a high priority.
Do we have James Bond be the spokesperson for that vehicle/ad?:wink2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Lincoln Nautilus and Navigator, might as well return Cosmopolitan to match Continental. It does go with Lincoln's vintage retiree luxury image, perfect for the Florida clients.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Lincoln Nautilus and Navigator, might as well return Cosmopolitan to match Continental. It does go with Lincoln's vintage retiree luxury image, perfect for the Florida clients.
Nautilus, Aviator, Navigator.

Is there a way to search trademarks by owner?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
CONSTELLATION
:nerd: tho Cosmo might be interesting for a Pkg or sequence of Pkgs... ...intro'ed during each FashionWeek

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I prefer real names than a mix of letters and numbers that nobody can remember.

All you know what is a Continental. Can you say the same about the 218d xDrive Gran Tourer?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I prefer real names than a mix of letters and numbers that nobody can remember.

All you know what is a Continental. Can you say the same about the 218d xDrive Gran Tourer?
I honestly thought you made that up (using BMW nomenclature). I was surprised to see it actually existed.....and it's quite ugly.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Nautilus could actually be what we've been calling Aviator.

I agree that Lincoln needs to get rid of the MK names, especially since Lincoln will always have a much smaller lineup so the scalable alpha numerics are probably not necessary for them. And the Lincoln brand is very weak so driving a "Navigator" is more desirable than "I drive a Lincoln". I know I'm always embarrassed a bit when I say I drive a Lincoln, it comes with a tremendous amount of prejudice because I'm chastised for it all the time at my age (30-something). So although Lincoln has recently wanted to emphasis its core brand over the model names, I think it's probably time to give that up and make the individual products the brand and gradually decrease the Lincoln association. Continental and Navigator are far stronger brands than Lincoln and each product needs to stand on its own in a similar way.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I agree that Lincoln needs to get rid of the MK names, especially since Lincoln will always have a much smaller lineup so the scalable alpha numerics are probably not necessary for them. And the Lincoln brand is very weak so driving a "Navigator" is more desirable than "I drive a Lincoln". I know I'm always embarrassed a bit when I say I drive a Lincoln, it comes with a tremendous amount of prejudice because I'm chastised for it all the time at my age (30-something). So although Lincoln has recently wanted to emphasis its core brand over the model names, I think it's probably time to give that up and make the individual products the brand and gradually decrease the Lincoln association. Continental and Navigator are far stronger brands than Lincoln and each product needs to stand on its own in a similar way.
If you are so embarrassed to drive a Lincoln then why did you buy one? I am in my 20s and I have had 2 Lincolns and never once been embarrassed by it or to tell people I drive one.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Why would they not use the Aviator name? I think ultimately the names "Aviator" and "Nautilus" will both be used......
1) the MKX will become Nautilus, with Explorer-size model being Aviator, or
2) the Explorer-size model will be Nautilus, and MKX becomes Aviator. Remember, when the MKX first debuted in 2007, it was to be called Aviator (there were even images released of it branded such), but then Lincoln decided to switch to their MK_ scheme.
3) The least likely, but also possible - MKC becomes Nautilus, with MKX becoming Aviator, both for their refreshes that are about to be revealed.

The question is - will they switch to names for refreshes, or will they wait until a redesign. We are about to see the MKC and MKX refreshes be revealed. I also think we will see an "Aviator" (Explorer-size) concept at one of the upcoming shows.....this trademark could mean they're swapping the names at refresh (scenario 3 above), or that a concept is indeed on the way.

Zephyr was reapplied for last year. Red Label and Green Label are also trademarked by Ford. Don't know if this will work, but here's a link to the search....I don't know if there are other names they'd trademark under, but there are a lot of missing names on that list (could also be that they've expired?).

at the USTPO, you have to search "Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE" under the "Owner Name and Address" Field.

If you are so embarrassed to drive a Lincoln then why did you buy one? I am in my 20s and I have had 2 Lincolns and never once been embarrassed by it or to tell people I drive one.
He's complained about that for years and how behind Lincoln is, etc. etc. but keeps buying them because of the discount he gets.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Why would they not use the Aviator name? I think ultimately the names "Aviator" and "Nautilus" will both be used....
:thumb:
1)

2)

3)

...Zephyr was reapplied for last year. Red Label and Green Label are also trademarked by Ford. Don't know if this will work, but here's a link to the search....I don't know if there are other names they'd trademark under, but there are a lot of missing names on that list (could also be that they've expired?).

at the USTPO, you have to search "Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE" under the "Owner Name and Address" Field...
:thumb:

Nautilus == Macan: between MKXs (2&3row) and slightly smaller/tauter MKC

:clap:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There is that mystery about the Chinese built Lincoln SUV coming in 2019.

And no worries, I will no longer be a Lincoln customer by the end of next week. I loved my MKX but it's time for something a little more up to date and stylish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts