Ford Inside News banner

Never mind the naysayers; Lincoln is worth saving

9K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
You should always be careful about the name you choose to give your new baby. The power of association can work in many ways, not always positive.

In the case of Henry Leland, naming his new car brand after the first President he cast a vote for in 1864 seemed a jolly good idea, on paper. His pride and patriotic fervor easily overlooked the fact that the namesake was assassinated and for sure, poor Henry couldn't have known that the second most infamous Presidential assassination in US history was to take place some 70 years later in one of his offspring's back seats. Both of those world events sent shockwaves through a nation, and could easily have created a crisis of confidence that many other countries could not have recovered from. The nation did recover and grow stronger, but the Lincoln Motor Company sadly has not enjoyed the same resilience.

From a peak in the '80s, sales of Ford's luxury division have been in decline. Even last year, when all its major competitors (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and Cadillac) posted healthy gains, Lincoln suffered another year-over-year loss. The drop in demand came despite several new model introductions and intense marketing support. So how can a storied car marque, which given its nomenclature should be the very embodiment of integrity, strength and achievement, regain its position as the luxury car brand in the US?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff Day has been called the "Pied Piper" of the auto industry, leading auto journalists on wild rides around the globe in his position as former director of communications for Mercedes-Benz USA. Before that, he worked at DaimlerChrysler UK on its PR efforts, and rubbed elbows with the Queen of England in his role at the Buckingham Palace Press Office. His phone is filled with the numbers of the great, the good and the bad. His head is filled with dirty little secrets hiding in many corners of the auto industry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lincoln take note: Everybody thought Cadillac was on its last legs a few years ago and its now America's fastest growing luxury car company. The same people who predicted Caddy's imminent demise are now calling for the killing of Lincoln, but I think that's Mr. Magoo vision. A distinct product line up, a cohesive marketing story, confidence in its own voice and a strong, vocal commitment from the Blue Oval boys and girls could return Lincoln to leadership.

As a founding father of the US auto industry, the Lincoln Motor Company needs to remember what made it great, take those things and put a fresh modern twist on it.
I was very impressed at the 2012 LA Auto Show when Lincoln's stand was a wonderful homage to the brands rich and celebrity-endorsed history, including Elizabeth Taylor's Continental Mark 2 with a custom interior to match her eyes. Dirty little secret No. 1: one day I hope to own a Mark 2 and make an entrance in a driveway much like Uncle Willie did in High Society. Now that's what I call glamour. But where is that appeal today?

Similar style, luxury and effortless performance were on display at Los Angeles across some 60 years of Lincoln automobiles – the trouble was though, that rich lineage hit a wall around the mid '60s and that is where the display drew a line under its history. They also hurriedly pushed these beauties off the stand after the press had seen them and replaced them with Monroney-clad new cars for the public days.

Removing the vintage cars was a mistake. Why would you sell your best story to an audience already well read on the subject and not show much-needed potential customers the DNA of your current offerings? One of the qualities of luxury is authenticity; I would suggest that is done more by an association to your past achievements than your current lease price.

One of the qualities of luxury is authenticity; I would suggest that is done more by an association to your past achievements than your current lease price.
Ralph Lauren once said to me that when a company's most desired product is one they built 40 years ago then that company is in trouble. Trust me, he knows a thing or two about using the glories of yesteryear to turn a tidy profit today. As the old saying goes, those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Lincoln seems to have forgotten the lessons of its early years, when Edsel Ford acquired the company and set its sights on grace, elegance and speed. From that distinct brand philosophy was born the magnificent K series, the sexy Zephyr Coupe sedan and the glorious four-door, Continental convertible. Sadly though, it seems today Lincoln is repeating the history of the '80s, little more than badge-engineered versions of the main Ford stable.

Whilst I understand the economics of the car business – it is first and foremost a business, after all – if you have aspirations to own a luxury brand, you better make sure you know what luxury means. Luxury lives in the allure of the form, not the rationale of function. It is tempting for sure to raid the extensive Ford part bins for the latest tech whiz bang, but luxury buyers take cutting edge innovation for granted. It's the price of entry into this segment. What Lincoln needs to do is wrap its technical ability up in a seductive design and a brand statement that says, "I made a cool and intelligent choice in buying this car." A luxury brand captivates by its promise, not its price.

Lincoln should be the American Audi. It has a longer and richer history and a recognition level that makes it a household name.
Some of Lincoln's past associations may have been inglorious, but to be fair, many more spoke to decades of leadership and proud confidence. When the Lincoln Mark 2 was introduced, it cost more than a very royal Rolls-Royce, it looked sexier than a svelte Italian job and was as well built as a German butcher's son. Given all the resources at Dearborn's disposal it doesn't seem a quantum leap to go back to those associations and own its future. Ford engineers are amongst the best in the world and Jim Farley is a highly acclaimed and likeable marketer; the bench strength is most certainly there. As a founding father of the US auto industry, the Lincoln Motor Company needs to remember what made it great, take those things and put a fresh, modern twist on it. Audi wasn't always the cool brand it is today. Only a few decades ago it was the poor, unloved cousin of the Germany car industry. Lincoln should be the American Audi. It has a longer and richer history, and a recognition level that makes it a household name.

By the time Lincoln celebrates its centenary year in 2017, there is no reason why it should not have as many again bright years ahead of it. But it needs the current talented team to breathe confidence and aspiration into the brand. Reaching the ripe old age of 100 is a cause for celebration, but only if they have in place a full car line of models people "ooh" and "aaah" over, teens want to own one day and enthusiasts believe are just as worthy of the badge today as the collectables of yesterday.

In other words, as Abraham Lincoln, the man whose name was taken to form this car company, said,"In the end its not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." If the brand accepts that philosophy I am confident the baby will continue to develop as a healthy growing boy.
Image Credit: AP Photo / Paul Sancya

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/10/never-mind-naysayers-lincoln-worth-saving-opinion/

See less See more
#3 ·
Like the Lincoln brass has said, lots of surprises coming for Lincoln. People need someone to pick on. I just don't get those who pretend that Lincoln is doing little or not enough or that they have to follow a certain formula. It's like common sense and logic flies out the window when people comment on Lincoln.
There really has been a set recipe for premium brand success the past couple decades. That's not to say that Lincoln cannot blaze their own trail, but it should be understandable that people would be skeptical of that trail, especially this early in the game. If in fact Lincoln insiders believe that the accepted norms for premium brands are correct, but they aren't getting the funds to pursue that path then of course they're going to try to sell their own unique take on premium. No way they come out and say "We're aiming short and hope you're good with that". I'm not saying that is the case inside Lincoln, only that until such time as we see the payoff it is going to be a common thought to those on the outside.

Many have tried to build premium brands on the FWD bones of mainstream products and have failed miserably leaving most of us to take the "I'll believe it when I see it" stance regarding Lincoln doing it better or right.

#4 ·
imho
the most remarkable thing about the article is ...its Title.

Like the writer is optimistic about Lincoln but hasn't figured HOW to argue FOR that

&
AGREE: "There really has been a set recipe for premium brand success the past couple decades"
but
it's changing - and that's why people are talking so much about "Luxury"

&
as I've posted before, my take on: "We're aiming short and hope you're good with that" is...
WHAT IF Lincoln is fully dedicated to "Luxury" but also equally committed to doing it their own way which is different from anybody else?

#5 ·
I'm always skeptical of an article that gets obvious points wrong. In this case the idea that "Lincoln is down in sales this year with several new model introductions". They have one new vehicle in the showroom and only one introduction which has the ability to effect sales by exactly zero cars. Please, if you call yourself a journalist do some research and fact checking.

#6 ·
There really has been a set recipe for premium brand success the past couple decades. That's not to say that Lincoln cannot blaze their own trail, but it should be understandable that people would be skeptical of that trail, especially this early in the game. If in fact Lincoln insiders believe that the accepted norms for premium brands are correct, but they aren't getting the funds to pursue that path then of course they're going to try to sell their own unique take on premium. No way they come out and say "We're aiming short and hope you're good with that". I'm not saying that is the case inside Lincoln, only that until such time as we see the payoff it is going to be a common thought to those on the outside.

Many have tried to build premium brands on the FWD bones of mainstream products and have failed miserably leaving most of us to take the "I'll believe it when I see it" stance regarding Lincoln doing it better or right.
FWD luxury failure huh?
Well well my internet friend, there is an ocean's span difference between this Cadillac POS and what Lincoln has planned in a sleek AWD, tech and feature-laden beauty.

Why settle for RWD and all it's limitations anyway, nothing beats AWD

#7 ·
FWD luxury failure huh?
Well well my internet friend, there is an ocean's span difference between this Cadillac POS and what Lincoln has planned in a sleek AWD, tech and feature-laden beauty.
LOL at your choice!! :thumb:

I was actually thinking along the lines of Acura, Volvo, and Saab. All of them very good cars, all of them trustworthy brands, none of them successful in joining the ranks of first rate premium brands even though the cars they build were all very good.

Why settle for RWD and all it's limitations anyway, nothing beats AWD
For ultimate numbers yes a good AWD setup is superior. For the pure joy of driving often times those RWD limitations are part of the experience! Also, not to be negative, but not all AWD systems are created equal!

#9 ·
Why RWD over FWD-based AWD?

To me? As you said, styling.

In the same brand:

Comparatively:

I like the MKZ from a design perspective, but the ATS and CTS have simply regal proportions.

Oh, and you can make RWD AWD, just like you can FWD. Plus, better weight distribution.

#11 ·
Given my preference for RWD proportions it should be no surprise that I like this. They manage to bring some of the RWD look to the FWD car, yet it required a ridiculous front overhand to do it.

I like the MKZ from a design perspective, but the ATS and CTS have simply regal proportions.
I agree, all three are very nice, but the traditional long hood and short deck has remained the benchmark!

Oh, and you can make RWD AWD, just like you can FWD. Plus, better weight distribution.
Exactly! As I said, not all AWD systems are created equal.

#12 ·
The ATS looks awkward.
The MKZ looks sleekest. An d the proportions are not hurting it one single bit.
ATS is probably the most well-proportioned. Try taking off the blue oval-shaped glasses.

MKZ isn't hurt by its proportions, my ass. Even if it weren't, take that and make it a size class larger. Proportions get even worse.

MKZ is too bulbous. A long hood would contribute to it looking the part. It all counts. Beyond midsize, the game is up on FWD cars.

#13 ·
The RWD layout was, is, and will always be part of Lincoln DNA. You can't run away from it. Most if not all famous Lincolns of the past were RWD based vehicles. If they want to ignore their heritage then Ford revived the wrong brand. People were fine with Mercury being FWD based vehicles but not Lincolns.

#14 ·
Yeah RWD... Hey I'm not against it.. But there is none... Nor they have the capital to make a platform on their own.

and just like an army.. You got to fight with all you've got. Linc needs to stand from another perspective...

AWD my friend. As of right now that's what they have... But the problem is not that.. Is not the layout..

you know what is the problem?

Cojones...(gust) Lincoln is not showing any.

think Audi was always cool? Always great?

they build up a reputation!!! They competed... Quattro means nothing without the hard work they showed on motorsports...

my question is... Is Lincoln even trying?

it took Audi about 20 years to be where they are... It took caddy about 10 to be where they are.

Lincoln is not out here yet...

take the stang platform, put a big engine, gather the best engineers, make a beauty and beast like never before... Evolve the Pony... Call it "Pegasus"

send it to Le mans and any motorsports known to mankind...

Reputatio, Reputation, Reputation..

#15 ·
ATS is probably the most well-proportioned. Try taking off the blue oval-shaped glasses.

MKZ isn't hurt by its proportions, my ass. Even if it weren't, take that and make it a size class larger. Proportions get even worse.

MKZ is too bulbous. A long hood would contribute to it looking the part. It all counts. Beyond midsize, the game is up on FWD cars.
I meant XTS.
That can't be argued.

#19 ·
When I read the article today on the new F150 I realized how progressive Ford has become. They are leading the way, and I believe they will be successful. The company who can do this, I believe, is the company who can change Lincoln to be a significant brand again. I think in three years that Lincoln will be totally transformed. I hope they become the next Audi.

#20 ·
This article literally encompasses most of my argument about Lincoln, and its disastrous ideas about somehow forging a way forward that literally no luxury automaker has truly accomplished. A heritage luxury brand such as Lincoln sullied with a risk, and cost averse management does not make a quick, and credible return to glory. The MKC is acceptable in a class that features other FWD based or FWD based AWD variants , and is properly differentiated but that in, and of itself will not restore the brand to its former glory. Lincoln for all intents and purposes needs a Gen 1 CTS, and the Fusion in drag MKZ is simply not good enough to be that home run caliber product.

#21 ·
Would a body on frame aluminum F150 platform based Town Car perhaps be the product that could return Lincoln to its former glory? Make it the best riding, most comfortable, and most luxurious car this side of a Rolls Royce Phantom, and have yearly announced price increases just as Lexus did with the original LS.

#22 ·
Lincoln is NOT risk and cost averse, no matter how many times germ repeats it.
They are in fact spending billions and plan to continue that, as Farley has said.
And risk to me is not following the formula and dimensions of German competitors right down to the inch, for God's sake.
I chuckle every time some of you repeat this.

Risk is trying to blaze your own path up from the ashes with vehicles like the Blackwood or original Navi that others copied or the all new Navi that you will all be blown away with or by offering so many GTDI engines, or luxury hybrids (much more coming), or being the first automaker with nearly autonomous control through technology TODAY, or deciding that bulky mechanical shift controls can no longer find their way into Lincoln vehicles, or deploying running boards, massive deployable glass roofs, parallel parking systems that actually work, relatively risky styling, doing all this in modest cost and sooo much more coming.

STOP FREAKING SAYING THEY DON'T TAKE RISKS PLEASE!!!!!

#23 ·
This article literally encompasses most of my argument about Lincoln, and its disastrous ideas about somehow forging a way forward that literally no luxury automaker has truly accomplished. A heritage luxury brand such as Lincoln sullied with a risk, and cost averse management does not make a quick, and credible return to glory.
So following the way basically any other other luxury automaker is going is considered a risk while forging a way forward that no other automaker has gone before isn't? Hmmm...

I think criticizing Lincoln should not not be extended to a degree were logic is compromised. I hate to say it but in this case, it obviously is.

#24 ·
So following the way basically any other other luxury automaker is going is considered a risk...
The risk would be far greater to invest the amount that comes with developing world class, segment acceptable platforms. Investing that kind of money without the guarantee of greater sales is certainly financially riskier than spending far less to adapt non-traditional platforms to the segment.

... while forging a way forward that no other automaker has gone before isn't? Hmmm...
So Acura hasn't been trying unsuccessfully to build a premium brand upon the bones of mainstream FWD platforms for going on three decades now? Audi is the only company that has succeeded in using mainstream FWD bones, yet in their case they've so heavily modified the bones that they're no longer recognizable, visually or dynamically, as being of VW origin.

It is naive to pretend that the road Lincoln is traveling hasn't been tried before. I'm not going to claim that Lincoln will be perceived as nothing but Acura in new clothes, but that is certainly a risk they're taking. Volvo has never managed to raise themselves much above Buick. Saab had a niche selling oddball cars to a small but loyal group of oddball people. Acura has managed to up sell loyal Honda buyers while converting nobody. Nobody has gone this route and joined the elite. I'll be the first to stand up and applaud Lincoln if they do, even if I would be unlikely to buy one!

We know next to nothing about the next MKS, it may turn out that they're going the Audi route and making major platform level modifications that will justify Ford's choices. Or the MKS will be to the Taurus what the MKZ is to the Fusion, good, but not good enough to justify the greater expense and exciting to nobody. My fingers are crossed in favor the the former as the MKS will be the most telling of all Lincoln's, it has to be a home run or it will be clear Lincoln is content being a second tier brand!

#25 ·
So following the way basically any other other luxury automaker is going is considered a risk while forging a way forward that no other automaker has gone before isn't? Hmmm...

I think criticizing Lincoln should not not be extended to a degree were logic is compromised. I hate to say it but in this case, it obviously is.
I would not say that, as very similar products can be compared with others. Lincoln simply has the opportunity to look broadly at the ever changing luxury demographic, and is positioning itself accordingly. That is a good place to be.

#26 ·
Lincoln can forge their own direction, without being the ego driven money pit that Cadillac is.

It would be fun to see some actual, real accounting, of Cadillac.

Ford will not play that game, and they have no desire for Lincoln to be another "me too" brand. Bravo to them for that.

How about we see Lincolns direction, before decrying it a failure??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.