Ford Inside News banner

New 2015 Mustang GT - Bad transmission and Paint at 244 miles! Please help!

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Sherminator 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, Bozard Ford, after about 200 miles, and they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Pictures in Youtube video below.
The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care (also worth noting, the dealership managed 12.6 MPG while in their care. I’ve been averaging 16MPG+ in normal driving around town.)

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of condition?

Poor Paint Repair:

See less See more
#3 ·
Clearly something is very wrong that the internet cannot help you with. Go to your dealer immediately and make a stink. The car is brand new, hopefully they work with you.

Are you a past Ford customer at that dealership? If so, they may feel less inclined to give you a hard time.

#4 ·
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, Bozard Ford, after about 200 miles, and they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Pictures in Youtube video below.
The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care (also worth noting, the dealership managed 12.6 MPG while in their care. I’ve been averaging 16MPG+ in normal driving around town.)

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of condition?
It sounds like it just needs to go back to have the body work done right and just tell the Ford dealership, who know how the transmission should work and how to fix it, about shifting problem so it can be repaired under warranty and at the same time.

#6 ·
Clearly something is very wrong that the internet cannot help you with. Go to your dealer immediately and make a stink. The car is brand new, hopefully they work with you.

Are you a past Ford customer at that dealership? If so, they may feel less inclined to give you a hard time.
I might take it a step further and go to Ford's regional/district manager since you have not one but two issues. The second concern happened while in the care of your dealership, regional execs don't like to hear of these problems. Just a thought...........

#8 ·
Re: 2015 Mustang GT Transmission Problems? Please Help!

I'm sure everything will be repaired and as good as new. I would consider tracking the cars issues and if necessary lemon law the vehicle if it's not brought back to specifications. I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.

Good luck

#9 ·
Re: 2015 Mustang GT Transmission Problems? Please Help!

Update 2/4: Transmission now has serious problems at 244 miles on odometer! While with the Ford dealership for warranty paint repair and door/fender alignment, the manual transmission shift quality became VERY poor in 4th gear. So at 244 miles on the odometer it's now got manual transmission and paint problems!

Update 2/18: After talking to the dealership service manager, GM, and Ford I have still not been offered a brand new transmission for the car.

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem. Asked that dealership change transmission fluid.

Update 3/12: No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have serious transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic confirmed a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed at all (neither rebuild or new) up to this point.

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros. Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.

**My terrible experience is now on websites and forums. I will try to include latest updates on my video appeal to Ford below**

Note: I had requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization/approval.

#11 ·

I have been a long-time Ford car owner, I am surprised it wasn't fully fixed almost two months ago. I hope by posting my terrible experience it will help others avoid what I have been through! (dashcam advised!!)

#12 ·
This was more than paint damage...a misaligned fender is serious poor quality control. Was it fixed to your satisfaction? Sorry to hear about these issues...awesome car otherwise! To bad as this takes away from the new hot car euphoria.
No. Nothing has been fixed to my satisfaction. Thanks for compliments on car! :) (though I now want to sell it)

#13 ·
Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually acknowledge the transmission problem too in writing and fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

#16 ·
This, this right here is why my next purchase again will be a Toyota. My local Toyota dealership has gave me excellent customer service, the bad thing about is I was wanting to get my daughter a Focus. But customer service brought me back to looking at a corolla.

#18 ·
Update 3/20/2016: I first want to thank everyone on the forum who has offered advice or viewed my thread! I created this thread to help all owners by sharing my aweful Ford dealership experience (at Bozard Ford). Please be careful when leaving your car at a dealership! The problems with my 2015 Mustang GT have put me through ****. I paid $37k+ for my 2015 Mustang and it still has transmission problems (Ford hasn't fixed yet!!) Ford can do the right thing, but they choose not to.

If you wish to help everyone, all mustang owners, please reply to this thread or view my experience video below. Every view counts!:

Thank you once again for your support of the good fight!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.