Ford Inside News banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's anonymous, it's not ugly at all. The EcoSport... now THAT is conspicuously ugly to the point it draws attention to how ugly it is.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
It's anonymous, it's not ugly at all. The EcoSport... now THAT is conspicuously ugly to the point it draws attention to how ugly it is.
Sorry, one is pre-teen cute-ish, the other is transgender shocking.
Not even close.

Any explanation as to why you previously compared two CUV’s that are like 1 or 2 classes apart in terms of which you prefer? Or is it just your outspoken disdain for EcoSport? You seemed to skate past that.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Sorry, one is pre-teen cute-ish, the other is transgender shocking.
Not even close.

Any explanation as to why you previously compared two CUV’s that are like 1 or 2 classes apart in terms of which you prefer? Or is it just your outspoken disdain for EcoSport? You seemed to skate past that.
I can see you don't understand the Chinese car market very well if you're talking about segments instead of price.

And indeed EcoSport is a rare underacheiving product for Ford that is part of their failure in China.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I can see you don't understand the Chinese car market very well if you're talking about segments instead of price.

And indeed EcoSport is a rare underacheiving product for Ford that is part of their failure in China.
That's quite the Ass-umption you made here Borg.

My only point once again,
you compared what is easily the worst badge-engineered vehicle in history (Territory) to a vehicle costing far less and is much smaller in size (EcoSport). And yet you still have offered no justification for that strange comparison and of course never will, choosing instead to focus on me.

Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That's quite the Ass-umption you made here Borg.

My only point once again,
you compared what is easily the worst badge-engineered vehicle in history (Territory) to a vehicle costing far less and is much smaller in size (EcoSport). And yet you still have offered no justification for that strange comparison and of course never will, choosing instead to focus on me.

Hmmmm
You want to pick a fight and that's fine, that's what you do. I encourage you to do your pricing and market research on China because it's a massive task if you haven't already done it. I don't want to spend a chunk of my day educating you since I know it never works.

And I think the best way for me to co-exist with you on this board is to just block or ignore your comments which was my policy until you said something nice...but I learned my lesson...again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Well lets do some research here.

Pricing:
Ford Territory: 88,800 to 140,800 Yuan
Ford EcoSport: 94,800 to 127,000 Yuan

EcoSport: 161″ L x 70″ W x 65″ H
Territory: 180.6" L X 76.1" in x 66" H

So the Territory is both cheaper and substantially bigger than EcoSport.

Welcome to China!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It is the most blatant badge job I've ever seen for sure, the car has absolutely no Ford content. I actually think they did a good job with it, the styling is nicely done for a Chinese utility and I think it will get some attention in the market that matters (not us). Ford's situation in China is very dire, they don't have hybrids or price competitive utilities and this is the quickest way to use its resources on the ground to keep the lights on at their Chinese stores.

Whenever I go to China I always see this car as well. It's the BYD Yuan, I always mistake it for the EcoSport it's ripping off. It's actually a strange instance where the copy looks better than the original. It's also the only Ford that a Chinese car has imitated as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
But you have to admit, Territory is the worst badge engineered effort in Ford's history.
I researched this model since it will be sold in my country soon. The person responsible for the design of JMC's Yusheng S330 (the crossover SUV the Territory was derived from) is Carlos Arroyo Turon. He was a JMC and Ford Design Director, he was also a Design Director at Ford Otosan in Turkey (they build Ford trucks and Transit vans). Before joining JMC and Ford, he was a senior designer at Hyundai Motor Deutschland GmbH and later on at Bertone. He left JMC and Ford in 2019 to join Flymove Holding, the company responsible for reviving Bertone.

It looks like Carlos brought over the Kinetic Design look to JMC's first ever modern crossover. Notice how it looks like a wider and longer version of the pre-2018 EcoSport.

After a short 2+ year run as a Yusheng S330 it was further refined and updated into the Ford Territory.

Its evolution is quite similar to how the current gen EcoSport evolved from the 2013 model to the present day model introduced for the 2018 model year,

The Territory was Ford's best selling SUV in China for 2019. It looks like the Escape has overtaken it in sales. In China, the Territory compliments the Escape (only sold in higher trims) in the C-segment.

It looks like the Terriotry's mid and lower trims will act as in-direct replacements for the current EcoSport in China.

JMC-Ford's Territory was partly developed by Ford Australia. For those who don't know, Ford actually owns 32% of its joint-venture partner JMC.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts