Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like a full redesign to bring a vehicle back from obscurity. In the case of the 2011 Ford Explorer, obscurity might not be the word. Not too long ago the Explorer was one of the best-selling vehicles in America. And now? It's not even in the top 10.

Ford is looking to get the Explorer back in the game by recasting it as a modern crossover instead of a more traditional SUV. That means it will ditch its off-road ability and towing capacity in favor of ride quality and interior packaging.

As you can see in these latest photos, it's getting a substantially revised design too. The changes up front can be seen a little better than before. Looks like some pretty funky headlights going on there. Expect some Ecoboost action under the hood too as well as an interior similar to the recently upgraded Edge.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...2011-ford-explorer-reveals-a-little-more.html

Mirrors as well.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It looks very nice, and I hope from reading some of the feedback on that website they make it worth the Explorer name. The only thing is that it will not have the off road capability like before which means you wont be exploring much except the Walmart or Target stores for some good deals.....lol.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'm wondering how much off road capability can be deduced from the Interceptor being able to take an 8" curb-kerb at 40mph?

esp since the Explorer will probably have a bit more ground clearance too...

...I've been thinking that the Interceptor might have the same underpinnings as the Explorer INSTEAD OF those of the civilian Taurus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts