Ford Inside News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Focus RS Club

New Ford Focus RS Delayed

Ford boss tight-lipped over new Focus RS, but confirms Mondeo is on the way | Autocar

Ford's European boss Stephen Odell has remained tight-lipped over the prospect of new Ford Focus RS. The Blue Oval's European boss quashed rumours that the business case for a third-generation version of the quickest, most powerful Focus has been signed off.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” he told Autocar. “It’s great that we have a proud past with RS, and it’s clear it has acted as a halo product and a way of linking to our racing programmes, but for now there is nothing to say.”

Speculation that a new RS is imminent was first ignited last year, although such a move would mark a major shift for Ford after years of focusing on mass-market models and volume production.

It is understood the business case for the new RS would allow it to sit alongside the all-new Ford Mustang, which goes on sale in the UK at the start of next year. One concern is that a new Focus RS could cannibalise sales of both the Mustang and the Focus ST, although Autocar understands that the results of customer focus groups showed that not to be the case.

Read more.....

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"One concern is that a new Focus RS could cannibalise sales of both the Mustang..."

Very similar issue with the the Ranger for NA and new 2015 F-150 launch. It is a smart move not to launch two high profile vehicles at the same time in the same segment.

Which means the Focus RS will launch in the latter half of 2015, about the same time as the Ranger.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
"One concern is that a new Focus RS could cannibalise sales of both the Mustang..."
For me the Mustang is the one with everything to prove in Europe... despite the awesome name recognition the Mustang enjoys, it is a class of car that doesn't truly exist in Europe today. The RS is a much more traditional European-type performance hatch (along the lines of the Golf GTi and Megane RS), and has a much more captive fanbase... and yet at the same time the Mustang is such a breath of fresh air, and comes with the right engine options, so it shouldn't have much trouble creating its own niche in the market.

Of course a European looking for a performance car will have two solid options at Ford, but I don't think that this is going to be a big problem. I agree that launching these two performance vehicles at once would be a shame... the 'Stang followed up by the RS is a nice 1-2 punch combination, and will go a long way to solidifying Ford's place as a performance car company.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ford showed us an RS last summer.
What's the delay? 350 hp 2.3L engines are running in lots of dynos too.
Maybe they'll drop one into a Fusion, soon. A car that attractive with no "sport" model is a crime....

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ yup
Maybe they'll drop one into a Fusion, soon. A car that attractive with no "sport" model is a crime....
you may have seen at BON, Zan
just-imho/guess
50% chance for 2015my
90% by 2016my

&
was the former RS a Europe-Only model?
if so
that^: & the afaik slow economic recovery
+ being unproven elsewhere
= no rush?

oops - forgot:
article said:
...RS could cannibalise sales of both the Mustang and the Focus ST...
imho
this could be PURELY a pricepoint question
ie
is there
-room between a 2.0EB F-ST and a 2.3EB S550??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts