Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Harley-Davidson F-150 Coming
It's been several years since Ford last offered a Lightning version of its F-150 pickup truck but it looks like it will soon strike again. In spite of plummeting sales of big trucks, a high-performance variant of the new 2009 F-150 will launch later this fall, likely at either SEMA or the Los Angeles Auto Show. Ford showed a concept version of an SVT F-150 in 2004 that never made it to production. In March 2007, SVT's Jamal Hameedi told us that a high-performance truck was under development.

While participating in the Ford Racing Invitational media drag racing event this weekend, SVT declined to get any more specific than "a new SVT truck is coming" and "later this fall." When pressed, he did acknowledge that it's based on the big truck platform and that is was unrelated to the so-called Raptor truck. An obvious guess would be an F-150 powered by the GT500 engine. Since the GT500 already uses the cast-iron truck block, it would be an easy installation. Whether it will use two or four wheels to deliver all that torque is unknown, but after my experience trying to put GT500 power down this weekend, hopefully it'll use all four.

Update: After hearing from someone at Ford and talking to Mike Levine from PickupTrucks.com this new truck will almost certainly not be called a Lightning. In fact according to Mike, this new truck is likely to be the new Harley-Davidson F-150.

Autoblog

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Who will buy this truck??

With a 4,50$ gas, nobody is buying trucks, even the F-150 is base form with 6 cil engine.

This proyect must be cancelled and invest this money in another small size car in Ford line up, maybe a medium-small size RWD sport sedan based on Mustang, with Ecoboost 4 and 6 cil engines.

Sorry, guys!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Who will buy this truck??

With a 4,50$ gas, nobody is buying trucks, even the F-150 is base form with 6 cil engine.

This proyect must be cancelled and invest this money in another small size car in Ford line up, maybe a medium-small size RWD sport sedan based on Mustang, with Ecoboost 4 and 6 cil engines.

Sorry, guys!
The SVT Harley Davidson, or however they end up naming it, is not supposed to be a volume seller. Like all SVT vehicles, this truck will be a very limited edition with a very high price. They will sell every single one of them.

I agree though, that these are concepts that will make less and less sense as time passes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I totally agree with falcon lover. Even if it is a low volume seller, why spend the money on this if the market has dropped and Ford is scaling back its production. I just do not get it. Spend the money on something better, like a Hybrid Focus or Hybrid Fiesta. That is what people want, smaller cars. Obviously Ford is still stuck on the F-150 when they need to invest in these smaller cars.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I totally agree with falcon lover. Even if it is a low volume seller, why spend the money on this if the market has dropped and Ford is scaling back its production. I just do not get it. Spend the money on something better, like a Hybrid Focus or Hybrid Fiesta. That is what people want, smaller cars. Obviously Ford is still stuck on the F-150 when they need to invest in these smaller cars.
I agree in essence with what you are saying, as Ford should press the pedal of economy and the environment, as they have. The question is, should they kill all initiatives in the performance arena?

The SVT truck is such a small project with such a minimum budget that it wouldn't make any difference. The SVT truck project budget would be a fraction of what would be required for a hybrid Fiesta. And who knows . . . they may come with a big surprise on fuel economy for this SVT truck.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
People, there is minimal capital spent on a product like this.
It is supposed to be a low volume seller as well.
Why is it any more useless than a 2 seat Viper or a CTS-V?
In fact, it is far more useful than all those as it is still a pickup truck, even if it does cost you about $200 more per year in gas than a non performance version.

I think people are not thinking clearly.
It will be a gorgeous and fun vehicle to own, turn heads everywhere you drive it and it will retain it's value as a collector car and who cares if it gets 15 or 20mpg? Certainly not those that can afford it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ imho 2 main reasons
...capital spent
past tense ^^^
1. by the time conditions allowed Mr.M.&Team to implement the 'millennial' ReToolingPlan, the money had been (mostly) spent
2. Fomoco is "holding the line" with their remaining segments. Staying 'tops in trucks' is part of that.

if my attachment illustrating the strength of commitment in #2 is too mystifying
click these:
original artwork, from the movie

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm sorry to sound like an anti-truck person, but I think the little money they are spending on this program could be used for hybrid technology. Ford has helped a lot and I have faith that Mr. M is absolutely doing everything he can to resurrect this absolutely phenomenal company to the pillar it was intended for. We do not have to totally agree with everything, but that is why we have a place to throw around our ideas.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is what is called a loss leader. some products are there to demo product and technology prowess. GMC has Denali, Ford has SVT and F150 has the lightening..
this is not for profit but for statement. Its great for the F150 brand

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
this is what is called a loss leader. some products are there to demo product and technology prowess. GMC has Denali, Ford has SVT and F150 has the lightening..
this is not for profit but for statement. Its great for the F150 brand

The F-150 brand dont need more advertising. Everybody know what is the best truck in America: F-series. Why spend that money in a super-truck when the sales of that truck are falling like a stone in a river???. Mullaly , sure, have anything to do with that proyect. Mr. M prefer to use that money to convert the plant that will build this truck in a plant that will built the next Focus, or S-Max or Fiesta derived Crossover..... I know that and i think is the best for Ford.
If i want to buy an F-series , i buy a King Ranch Edition F-250, the best truck, the most luxurious and the most atractive in the market. Why another upscale truck????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts