22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Look: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu - MotorTrend
Chevy's Next Midsize is Less Filling, Looks Great

From the September, 2011 issue of Motor Trend
By Todd Lassa
Photos Wesley Allison - Videographer: Corey Denomy
Highlights from global chief engineer Mark Moussa
• Malibu's Spark Ignition Direct Injection double-overhead cam 2.5-liter EcoTec four is not based on any existing engine.
• Variable-valve timing has enhanced authority cam phasing, with electronics offering more phase options for better emissions and fuel efficiency.
• A variable-displacement oil pump operates at lower pressures at low speeds, for better fuel efficiency and emissions.
• Shielding or isolation of such parts as the timing chain, fuel rail, injectors, and intake minimizes noise.
• Low- and middle-range torque is 20 to 25 percent stronger than that of the 2.4-liter it replaces.
• It will make at least 190 horsepower and at least 180 pound-feet, with better than 30 mpg highway in the Malibu.

Architecture enhancements
• About 60 percent high-strength steel lightens the car's greenhouse.
• More aluminum is used in the suspension, including the rear knuckles.
• The electric power steering offers improved on-center feel, more precise feedback, and higher effort at higher speeds.
• Body acoustics designed for the quietest ride possible.
• Engine and chassis improvements also will update the Buick Regal, Opel Insignia.
• Precise ride versus handling balance, with the handling sharpness tuned to split the difference between Insignia (stiffer) and Regal (softer).

Read (see) More

·
Registered
306 Posts
Horrible product. Looks like a toyota camry with a truck front end. Inside will remain cramped for four adults - all that worst attributes of the Shamaro interior and enough dog crap brown in the interior to make you check the bottoms of your shoes.

An answer to a question we were looking for in 2000. Once again the wrong product at the wrong time. Vehicles in this class will be going much smaller and not adding bloat like this thing (adding width is the way you add the most weight).

When the new Fusion hits the new Malibore will look like it did in 2000. That isn't pretty.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
First thing, the MPG estimate of "better than 30" seems real low. I'd expect new midsize cars with a modern 4 to get 35 MPG highway.

It looks like they are going for the sporty/sedate image, and if so, they hit their target. I can see where Chevy is trying to take over part of Pontiac's market here.
Though I don't like the Chevy front end, and the rear seems overdone, all in all, I think it is a pretty good looking car.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Is a nice vehicle for the beginning of the 21th century...

Oh... what? we are not in 2000 calendar year? Are you sure?? What? We are in 2012 calendar year????? Oh, Oh, Oh.... I think this Chevy is outdated before its launch!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick Look: The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu’s Interior, MyLink Voice Infotainment System - AutomobileMag

Ben Timmins on July 27 2011 10:00 AM
Chevrolet has given us our first look at the all-new MyLink system, which combines voice-activated infotainment with a large touch screen on the center console.

MyLink is another solution in a long line of voice-activated systems (think Sync or uConnect), and at first it does little to elevate the field. In MyLink there are no Audi-esque scribble panels or force-feedback knobs, no whiz-bangery involved in inputting information into the system. No one feature of MyLink stands out from the pack...

...The only thing MyLink misses at the moment is an integrated GPS, which is still being developed. In the beginning, directions will only be offered through OnStar (which has a fully functional presence on the 2013 car) but GM promises to add an integrated GPS module into its MyLink systems soon. After that, GM says it’s open to the idea of adding other “apps” to its decks, which will be installable using the car’s USB port.

All in all, MyLink adds a scant few features to an already crowded market, which could make it slightly less than noteworthy. But—and this is a big but—it works...

More...

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's nice looking and I love the Camaro inspired touches, but I believe the new gen Fusion/Mondeo will be even better looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts